Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-07-2015, 08:38 AM

37,803 posts, read 41,019,978 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyRider View Post
As Trump often says this time around we need horrible people.
I like Carson as a person but I prefer a more aggressive wheeler-dealer leader used to dealing with other aggressive people, to get things done. I feel if he becomes President everyone will try to take advantage of him and he may be too accepting and/or not suspicious enough of the advice he gets because he's not used to dealing with sharks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-07-2015, 08:40 AM

4,412 posts, read 3,959,936 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyRider View Post
Funny thing, he asked the same question of a possible Muslim president and everybody, and probably you, jumped on him. Why are you tying him to his faith, hmm?
I thought he was wrong, but it was a pretty trivial controversy that lasted all of a day. My level of caring about it is below the level of meh.

Carson is the one tying himself to his faith. He has put his faith front and center so it's only reasonable to ask how he reconciles it with his political positions. Torture, national surveillance,religious based wars, wars of aggression...

Old 10-07-2015, 08:41 AM

16,569 posts, read 15,278,266 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post
I like Carson as a person but I prefer a more aggressive wheeler-dealer leader used to dealing with other aggressive people, to get things done. I feel if he becomes President everyone will try to take advantage of him and he may be too accepting and/or not suspicious enough of the advice he gets because he's not used to dealing with sharks.
Even Trump detractors know deep down that Trump means business. They won’t even try to haggle with him. When he says “bad dudes” will be outta here so fast your head will spin you know it’s gonna happen. Can you say the same about anybody else, including Carson and Fiorina?

Old 10-07-2015, 09:07 AM

11,755 posts, read 7,118,859 times
Michael Jordan is (arguably) the best pro basketball player ever. He has lots of charisma, his life story is inspirational, is intelligent, has great work ethic, is looked up to by a lot of (40 and 50 year old) kids, has done a lot of work for charities, and has started many successful business ventures and licensing deals, as well as has co-owned and ran an NBA team as GM. His net worth is $1 billion.

Yet, he sucked big time as a pro baseball player even on the AA level, barely clearing the Mendoza line.

You can be incredible in one discipline, maybe one of the best ever (pediatric neurosurgeon), and yet completely overwhelmed and utterly under-qualified in another.

It would be a mistake to assume that success in one arena translates into success in another. I commend him for overcoming adversity and achieving great things in the field of medicine.

Mick

Old 10-07-2015, 10:09 AM

587 posts, read 379,532 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post
I don't get the impression Carson is as passive as his tone of voice. Just by the crappy comments he says, I can tell he is not listening to his advisers. He is not used to political correctness. I bet his subordinates had to put up with a lot of insensitive comments. "Your late because your mother died? That's why I always leave home 30 minutes early, in case there is an emergency I can deal with it without having to worry about being late. Be more organized next time please"

Carson acts like he has always been in a position of power and is used to calling the shots. My way or the highway.

Old 10-07-2015, 11:19 AM

32,516 posts, read 37,183,567 times
He is a gifted surgeon.

He should stick to that.

Old 10-07-2015, 05:42 PM
JRR

8,166 posts, read 5,662,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
He is a gifted surgeon.

He should stick to that.
After listening to an interview he did today with Kai Ryssdal of Marketplace, I would certainly agree. His thoughts on the budget and the debt ceiling were interesting. He did not seem to understand what the debt ceiling really is (even after Kai tried to explain it to him) and his answer to the budget is just cut everything 3 to 4 percent.

But at the same time it appears that he is going to beef up the military. Not sure where the $ are going to come from for that if his number one priority is to cut everywhere to reduce the budget deficit.

Reading the whole interview left me shaking my head trying to make sense of all his ramblings. Not sure where he is getting economic advice, but it sure seems strange to me.

Old 10-07-2015, 05:45 PM

1,384 posts, read 2,693,340 times
If Ben Carson was white there'd be no way he'd be so high up in the polls.

Old 10-07-2015, 05:46 PM

16,216 posts, read 11,338,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTAtech View Post
Loose cannon comes to mind and the last thing we need is ultra-right wing ideology governing the land.
And in the minds of many of the people over in Left Field, any African American who doesn't drink from the Fount of Political Correctness is a "loose cannon".

Here's a link to a potential Storm Trooper the P/C crowd recruited; hopefully, this is one gaffe' that won't be covered up so easily.

http://www.city-data.com/forum/elect...ear-award.html

Old 10-07-2015, 05:57 PM

27,798 posts, read 32,448,899 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
He is a gifted surgeon.

He should stick to that.

or US Surgeon General someday if the GOPers win the next election. Although his views on guns don't jive with CDC and his views on abortion don't jive with the Supreme Court.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections