Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-21-2015, 05:11 PM

1,676 posts, read 945,849 times

Advertisements

I don't care which one wins, whether it's Hillary or The Donald. Both would be great in my book.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-21-2015, 05:38 PM

7,275 posts, read 5,286,513 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
So like a "business" does that mean we should be able to "fire" Americans to balance the budget? Should we sell off non profiting states to other countries? Maybe we could liquidate the country and simple part it off to other countries to cover our debts? You know, things that businesses do.
It's way more than that, and in business there are plenty more potential solutions than a fire sale. I would think a long-term approach to begin chipping away at $18 trillion in debt would be much better served from a business person's perspective than that of a politician.

Again, at this point I really don't think there's a lot more to lose. Take Washington out of the firm grip of insiders and shake it up with an outsider. Then, let the chips fall where they may. Chips are littered all over America's floor already.

Old 10-21-2015, 05:57 PM

46,001 posts, read 35,187,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by metalmancpa View Post
It's way more than that, and in business there are plenty more potential solutions than a fire sale. I would think a long-term approach to begin chipping away at $18 trillion in debt would be much better served from a business person's perspective than that of a politician.

Again, at this point I really don't think there's a lot more to lose. Take Washington out of the firm grip of insiders and shake it up with an outsider. Then, let the chips fall where they may. Chips are littered all over America's floor already.
And how does a businessman like Trump propose to reduce the debt because his tax plan he put out won't be doing that. From a business point of view to cut a debt, you have to increase costs and reduce spending. Problem is, this isn't a business and you don't have a customer, you have American citizens. So you can't just lay off citizens, you can't reduce programs without many of them having an extremely negative effect on society.

Trump should have stuck to building buildings with his name on it, that is the one thing he is good at doing. Everything else, he is a bad businessman.

Old 10-21-2015, 06:10 PM

37,803 posts, read 41,019,978 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
It's a bit early to declare a winner. The long knives have yet to come out. Republicans have played nice with Trump because of the fear he bolts to a third party run. The dems won't go after him as he is a dream opponent (in spite of what "the polls say"). The big money pubs at some point will smear Trump with millions in negative ads and it will be over. Hillary is preferable to them to a loose cannon like Trump. Mark my words.
But, as you know, both the Democrats, the media and the Darth Vaders in the Republican Party think we Trump supporters are all a bunch of dumb bunnies so we might not understand those negative ads especially if they, you know, use big words and don't run them during The Real Housewives of Capitol Hill.

Old 10-21-2015, 06:11 PM

14,221 posts, read 6,963,795 times
Quote:

How is a billionaire businessman an outsider? They basically own the political system. Trump himself has admitted he has been bribing politicians for decades to get the legislation he wants. The only outsiders at this point would be Bernie Sanders and possibly Ben Carson.

Old 10-21-2015, 06:20 PM

24,408 posts, read 26,964,842 times
I have 3,147 shares on Predict It that Trump will win the nomination.

Old 10-21-2015, 06:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmw335xi View Post
I have 3,147 shares on Predict It that Trump will win the nomination.
He might win the nomination, but he isn't going to win the general election.

Old 10-21-2015, 07:26 PM

7,275 posts, read 5,286,513 times
Quote:
And how does a businessman like Trump propose to reduce the debt because his tax plan he put out won't be doing that. From a business point of view to cut a debt, you have to increase costs and reduce spending. Problem is, this isn't a business and you don't have a customer, you have American citizens. So you can't just lay off citizens, you can't reduce programs without many of them having an extremely negative effect on society.

Trump should have stuck to building buildings with his name on it, that is the one thing he is good at doing. Everything else, he is a bad businessman.
As I said I don't have the answers. But, please tell me how politicians to date have addressed such issues as we continually fall further into debt. The global economy of which we are so deeply tied into IMO needs a fresh set of eyes upon it. Any plan Trump may be speaking of today, whether it hurts his standing or not, is just the beginning. Until he is elected and has to deal with ratification's within the house and senate, then we'll see. A new baseline is what I'm talking about, something a career politician won't change much.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PCALMike View Post
How is a billionaire businessman an outsider? They basically own the political system. Trump himself has admitted he has been bribing politicians for decades to get the legislation he wants. The only outsiders at this point would be Bernie Sanders and possibly Ben Carson.
I get your point. I meant an individual brought up entirely through the political system. Trump my have ties to politicians, but hasn't been working the system from the inside meaning he is a politician himself with that sort of upbringing.

Old 10-21-2015, 07:54 PM

Quote:
As I said I don't have the answers. But, please tell me how politicians to date have addressed such issues as we continually fall further into debt. The global economy of which we are so deeply tied into IMO needs a fresh set of eyes upon it. Any plan Trump may be speaking of today, whether it hurts his standing or not, is just the beginning. Until he is elected and has to deal with ratification's within the house and senate, then we'll see. A new baseline is what I'm talking about, something a career politician won't change much.

I get your point. I meant an individual brought up entirely through the political system. Trump my have ties to politicians, but hasn't been working the system from the inside meaning he is a politician himself with that sort of upbringing.
Because paying down the debt is a long term issue, not a short term issue. The bigger concern is making sure we have a healthy stable economy before trying to reduce the deficit and pay down the debt.

Old 10-22-2015, 01:19 AM

52,431 posts, read 26,636,151 times
Quote:
He might win the nomination, but he isn't going to win the general election.
It will be a landslid in his favor. The only people supporting The King are delusional card carrying Democrats and African Americans (and even that isn't a sure thing anymore). She has been abandoned by everyone else.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections