Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-26-2015, 11:48 AM

39,228 posts, read 27,603,964 times

Advertisements

There are many reasons I won't be voting for Sanders, but him being a Jewish is certainly not one of them. Matter of fact, him being a Jewish is a plus, I like Jewish folks.

Old 10-26-2015, 11:51 AM

12,282 posts, read 13,241,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by banjomike View Post
There was a time when it was thought impossible for a Catholic to be nominated. Or a Mormon. Or a woman. Or a person of color.
I doubt any voter will decide against a vote for Sanders due to his religion. I also doubt American Jews will all vote for him due to his religion either. Those days are long gone.
I remember the JFK election and a kid down the street was a 1st Baptist and told us what a low life's Catholics were.

Oh! his father just the same as run us off from the Boy Scouts because we weren't Baptists.

Old 10-26-2015, 01:06 PM

3,830 posts, read 4,663,482 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lonerandsad View Post
You are being very ignorant and I can tell you don't know history that well based on your young age (I bet you were born 95?). First of all, what so-called "Christians" did 1000 years ago to save stolen Christian land by the Muslims and defend themselves (Like Israeli/Jews tries to say today when they slaughter thousands of Palestinians today in 21st Century) is NOT the same thing as ISIS do today. Disgusting that you want to compare something that happened 1000 years ago with 2015 how you see beheading, rape, crucifixion, jihad, etc. which is justified by Islam and done by Muhammad unlike Christ.

Yes, Islams central figure of Muhammad was a warrior, killed even YOUR people (Jews), spread violence, hatred and raped 9 year old girl and tons of other bad things. Read the message and life of Christ and then come back.
For someone that's such a self professed atheist you sure have a serious hard on for this Jesus guy. What's the deal buddy? Are you a closet Christian? How embarrassing.

Old 10-26-2015, 03:07 PM

14,268 posts, read 18,938,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by banjomike View Post
There was a time when it was thought impossible for a Catholic to be nominated. Or a Mormon. Or a woman. Or a person of color.
I doubt any voter will decide against a vote for Sanders due to his religion. I also doubt American Jews will all vote for him due to his religion either. Those days are long gone.
I hope you're right and would agree if I didn't grow up hearing so much antisemitism. I thought that 50 years later it would be different and, although it is, the Jews are still the most hated group of people in the world and have been for thousands of years. Surprisingly, I heard the most anti-Jewish rants when I lived in SW Florida, which might surprise some people. OTOH, maybe I just had some low class, ignorant neighbors.

Old 10-26-2015, 04:24 PM

358 posts, read 283,085 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justNancy View Post
I hope you're right and would agree if I didn't grow up hearing so much antisemitism. I thought that 50 years later it would be different and, although it is, the Jews are still the most hated group of people in the world and have been for thousands of years. Surprisingly, I heard the most anti-Jewish rants when I lived in SW Florida, which might surprise some people. OTOH, maybe I just had some low class, ignorant neighbors.
Christians are the most persecuted people in the world

Old 10-26-2015, 04:26 PM

358 posts, read 283,085 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HyperionGap View Post
For someone that's such a self professed atheist you sure have a serious hard on for this Jesus guy. What's the deal buddy? Are you a closet Christian? How embarrassing.
I'm not an atheist, I'm agnostic. Just because I'm not religious does not mean I could admire Jesus Christ and have him as a great influencer and role model, similar to many other historic people. Anyone not liking the teachings of Christ (Sermon on the mount) is not a good person. I never had any bad things to say about Christians, so I'm not going to talk bad about them. Christians are the most tolerant people in the world today in 21st century UNLESS certain people like Muslims desroying their nations (as we can see in Western Europe)

Old 10-26-2015, 04:28 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,431,754 times
For some odd reason the poor in America don't see hatred of Jewish people as wrong
Perhaps bek so many Jewish people are very successful
????
Income inequality
????
Bernie however knows how to work a crowd and the promise of lots of free stuff transcends racial barriers
Greek mythology the government will pay for everything it's all free

Old 10-26-2015, 04:38 PM

2,420 posts, read 4,371,148 times
Jews are generally the smartest people in the room. Some of them may alienate other gentiles, as some are not accepting of having their children marry outside their faith, which can be a put off. But Jews as a group typically have a superior intellect.

If we had true separation of church and state, we would not be having this conversation. As what we don't want is having any political leader pushing their religious views on society and being ruled by the church again. I don't think there is much chance of that with a Jewish person. Now unfortunately I can not say the same for many of the Christian fanatics running. Bernie is never going to get the Christian radical vote, and he is not trying to. They will only vote for another Christian radical.

As for him being Jewish. I would say he is a smart Jew, a very compassionate Jew, and certainly more Christian in is actions and deeds than many actual Christians today.

Last edited by modhatter; 10-26-2015 at 04:51 PM..

Old 10-26-2015, 04:42 PM

3,298 posts, read 2,474,646 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilyflower3191981 View Post
There are many reasons I won't be voting for Sanders, but him being a Jewish is certainly not one of them. Matter of fact, him being a Jewish is a plus, I like Jewish folks.
Here's an interesting question: aside from Israel, have any other countries had a Jewish president, PM, or equivalent leader?

Old 10-26-2015, 04:52 PM

14,221 posts, read 6,961,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scratch33 View Post
Here's an interesting question: aside from Israel, have any other countries had a Jewish president, PM, or equivalent leader?
Yes, Leon Blum in France and Benjamin D'Israeli in the UK.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections