Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-30-2015, 07:52 AM

998 posts, read 665,261 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BucFan View Post
Being an eloquent speaker isn't a prerequisite to be elected. Otherwise we'd have TV news anchors running for president every election.

Do you realize that you can be a great speaker but have poor critical thinking skills?

You admit that you don't have a clue about anything he supports or his history as a Florida governor.

You are what Rush Limbaugh calls a low information voter.

Unfortunately there are millions like you who think style before substance.
It looks like we finally found a Bush supporter here! Thank you for speaking up, sir. So please inform me, the low information voter, what's so wonderful about Jeb. We've already established that he's not a very good speaker. He's not very bright, and he doesn't have the intellect to compose a response to any of his opponents' rebuttals. I know he's a nice guy and has a friendly looking face (I guess). He's good at fund raising (though not so much lately). Why would these qualify him as a good commander in chief?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-30-2015, 07:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BucFan View Post
a lot of crackpot pseudo psychologists making assessments based on watching three poorly run debates and a few sound bites on Faux News and Drive-By Media.......
So it's the moderators' fault that Jeb completely failed to rise to the occasion. Are you on the Jeb! payroll or something? Anyone could see that Jeb blew it, and he has nobody but himself and his inner circle of advisers to blame. Everything about his attack on Rubio was in poor judgement. The timing, the content, and "French work week" jab, and his complete and utter failure to compose a response. All he could do was fold his hands nervously and slink back under his podium.

Old 10-30-2015, 08:11 AM

33,942 posts, read 22,527,236 times
He supposedly did a very good job as Governor and was a great conservative. At least, this is what I hear from conservative pundits.

BUT, he isn't wowing anyone in the debates or when he speaks and I guess that's what matters when you are running.

I do not think he has that 'killer instinct' when it comes to trading jabs onstage.

Old 10-30-2015, 08:30 AM

11,755 posts, read 7,117,231 times
Coming up next:

"I am not a smart man, but I know what love [for the office of POTUS] is"

~Jeb! Bush, inspired by Forrest Gump

Mick

Old 10-30-2015, 09:20 AM

37,803 posts, read 41,013,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PuddingPops View Post
Bush: 'I wish I could talk as well as some of the people on the stage' | Washington Examiner

So why vote for you? You're not exactly making a strong case, Jeb.

"But I have more political experience than the other guys."

Translation: My father and brother own a large network of donors and lobbyists who all have my back.

Does anyone actually support Jeb? I mean like, real, actual voters? Why? What does he have to offer?

The man even admits himself that he's not a good speaker. If he were elected, we would need to listen to him speak constantly on television and elsewhere for eight years (or at least four). Does he even want to be president? I just don't get it. It's like he feels obligated to run or something. I mean, why run for the highest office in the nation, if you're just not good at speaking? I don't really like swimming, so obviously, I did not choose to pursue a career as an Olympic diver.

Doesn't make sense...
Using your logic, then why is Rubio running for President? Rubio has lawyer skills not executive skills. Aren't you surprised that someone who can talk a good game has never actually played? There is absolutely nothing in Rubio's resume to indicate he's capable of implementing his ideas and his job choices, until now, indicates he never wanted to. He (and Ted Cruz) put their best Senator skills on the table as a candidate. They are used to making speeches on the Senate floor, posturing, doing interviews, voting, obfuscating, fact-finding/researching, being knowledgeable about a topic because it's their job. They may know a lot about a subject like foreign affairs but they don't meet with people in other countries to make deals - they fact-find and talk. They may vote on a big budget but they don't implement them. They may criticize the handling of a crisis or big problem but they don't handle crises or big problems, themselves.

Rubio put his best skill forward at the debate: obfuscation. Bush put his worst foot forward, articulating his point. Jeb accused Rubio of not showing up to vote this year. Yes, the job that's akin to just getting dressed in gym clothes to pass gym class, Rubio couldn't manage to do. He missed 99 votes in 2015 but Rubio pulled out his lawyer trick: misdirection/obfuscation. It was the old, "why are you picking on me when everyone else does it when they are running for President," type whine. Then he rattled off the names of the heinous Democrats: Obama, Kerry and Clinton. Bush just pulled out the lame, "But I'm your constituent" card. A better card would have been to point to Rand Paul and say, "Well, he's running for President, too, but he only missed 14 votes this year." But Bush is a lousy candidate and he apparently has lousy people running his campaign since they announced what they were going to do at the debate beforehand, allowing Team Rubio to prepare for it and Bush, apparently, didn't bother to look at another Senator's record so he couldn't go in for the kill. Meanwhile, the big obfuscator is being lauded for his sterling debate performance.

Up front, I wouldn't vote for Rubio or Bush and I vote Republican but far and away while Rubio may be the better candidate, Bush would be the better President because as a governor he (and the other governors and business people) are do-ers. They get the job done. You may or may not like it but they accomplish things. Jeb's problem is he can't articulate that or why it's important.

All someone like Trump has to do is point to his buildings, his golf courses, his bank account, his skating rink (he should actually do an interview there this winter). His accomplishments are visible.

Old 10-30-2015, 09:37 AM

39,078 posts, read 51,231,444 times
Jeb! has the right idea in playing down expectations for his debate performance. He should focus on his leadership and record and presidential prep (don't beat it like a dead horse like Kasich, though) and downplay his ability to toss zingers and empty rhetoric around like some of the others are doing. Jeb! will get out the message that, unlike most of the other candidates, he has manners and upbringing.

Old 10-30-2015, 09:43 AM

16,376 posts, read 22,486,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flamadiddle View Post
.. drop out Jeb, you're wasting our time. After all, you have a 1,000 other things you could be doing right now, like gardening, baking, sailing, playing checkers, sponsoring Geritol, attending toastmasters, etc.
No - like being a corporate board member of several large Fortune 500 corporations because of his family's political clout. And raking in several millions dollars a year to be on these boards and only having to show up for quarterly board meetings. That's what he has been doing since he left the FL Gov office.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jeb_Bush

Below is direct paste from wikipedia:

According to Fox Business, Bush earned nearly half of the US$29 million he earned between 2007 and when he decided to run for Republican presidential nomination in December 2014, from Wall Street banks and companies.[98]

In April 2007, Bush joined Tenet Healthcare's board of directors.[99] The following August, Bush joined investment bank, Lehman Brothers, as an adviser in its private equity group.[100] Bush has also served on the board of InnoVida, Swisher Hygiene, and Rayonier and has served as an adviser to Barclays.[101]

Bush would later return US$270,000 in consultancy fees he had been paid by InnoVida after they declared bankruptcy.[102]

As of 2014, Bush had received more than US$2 million from his work for Tenet, a company that expected to receive US$100 million in new earnings in 2014 because of the Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act (ACA) and that "aggressively encouraged Americans to sign up for insurance under the program...."[101]

Bush has reportedly objected to the ACA at company meetings, but has kept his personal views separate from what is best for Tenet.[101]

Last edited by sware2cod; 10-30-2015 at 09:53 AM..

Old 10-30-2015, 10:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
Jeb! has the right idea in playing down expectations for his debate performance. He should focus on his leadership and record and presidential prep (don't beat it like a dead horse like Kasich, though) and downplay his ability to toss zingers and empty rhetoric around like some of the others are doing. Jeb! will get out the message that, unlike most of the other candidates, he has manners and upbringing.
I'm not sure if you're saying that he does, in fact, have manners and a good upbringing or if he should attempt to portray himself as a good mannered person. If the latter, then I would agree, he should try. Because he presented himself as a total doofus in the last debate, and just downright whiney and rude when he told Rubio he should resign because he was so deeply hurt -- as his constituent -- over him missing votes. Such a lame, rehearsed political attack. Everyone knows that Bush doesn't actually care, and Rubio called him out on it perfectly. But the point is, he looks like a jerk.

And if he looks like a jerk, then he probably is one. He could have taken the high road... as he always claims he wants to do. So why attack then? And don't get me wrong, I have nothing against political attacks. It's all part of the game. But you can't act like you're such a good person, and claim that it's not your tactic, and then go and do it anyway. And not only that, but he's got all his "Right to Rise" super pacs airing attack ads against Trump and anyone else he perceives to be an opponent. Bottom line: Jeb is a loser. If you want to attack others, then step up and OWN it. You can't have it both ways.

Old 10-30-2015, 10:39 AM

7,275 posts, read 5,285,135 times
I think the only way to truly test Jeb at this point would be to have a one on one debate with Trump.

Those two are polar opposites while in front of the camera/media, and it's the only vantage point I have as a voter. I know full well going in about who would win that debate on style points, at least on paper. But if those two could square off alone, focused issues could be debated one on one, and many voters would get a clearer picture what lies beyond the facade.

Old 10-30-2015, 12:58 PM

27,798 posts, read 32,435,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ringo1 View Post
He supposedly did a very good job as Governor and was a great conservative. At least, this is what I hear from conservative pundits.

BUT, he isn't wowing anyone in the debates or when he speaks and I guess that's what matters when you are running.

I do not think he has that 'killer instinct' when it comes to trading jabs onstage.
A lot can be said though for a Potus will excellent speaking skills....Reagan had it for at least 6 of his yrs in office...can rally the American folks to support his plans......Reagan did it all the time.........and it seems to be Canadian born Ted Cruz's strength.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections