Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-05-2015, 04:16 PM

9,617 posts, read 6,064,273 times

Advertisements

Amazing what is dredged up when King H> is threatened
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-05-2015, 04:17 PM

25,961 posts, read 22,126,936 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post
I think that's what CNN is trying to get at. It just seems funny that they are trying to disprove that he was bad.
We need to prove one of the GOP is a liar so as to help balance out Hillary's side. Then we can hear "Well, Hillary isn't the only one that lied." Desperation and it is CNN.

Quote:
Originally Posted by charolastra00 View Post
While I'm skeptical of pretty much everything Ben Carson says, this line of thought really burns me. Similarly to how some news reports claimed no one knew Obama when he was at Harvard, this sort of thing is just plain silly. People's memories fade or might not have known what was going on.

For example, a friend of mine who was a senior when I was a freshman in high school went on 3 years later to murder several people in a horrific drug induced massacre with several friends (including a fireman). It was horrendous and came as a total shock to me who had known him as a well behaved, smart guy. That was only the side I saw of him and it later came out that he had a pattern of violence at home and in his neighborhood. Had you asked any of his friends from school, however, no one would have known. Similarly, I recently had an article published in a magazine about growing up Jewish in my rural Georgia community. I had several childhood friends get very upset by what I said, claiming they don't remember it happening. I'm sure if I ever reach any level of fame in my life, that article will be scrutinized and those childhood friends will come out of the woodwork claiming it was all made up.

There are enough real things Ben Carson says or believes to criticize without going into the muck.
I was thinking the same thing. I can tell you that during the time that Carson was growing up and in Detroit, it was a real hot spot. It was very dangerous and there was the rioting. I lived about 3 hours from Detroit. I think a teen that was some what of a juvenile would not have really stood out in inner city Detroit, it is more acceptable and expected. Also, since I 61 years old and connected up with some classmates just a few years ago, I didn't really remember most very well and I lived in a small town. It was a long time ago and not that important. Also, kids don't always hear what really went on. I would have thought the way that Carson's mom was that she would have been ashamed and not out there telling all the neighbors about what happened with her sons. I am also familiar with Andrew's University, very nice college and highly respected in the area.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hashbrown View Post
Carson was 14 during the alleged stabbing incident. Can anyone here in their 60s chime in on how well you remember your classmates in 8th or 9th grade? Also, even violent people are not violent most of the time so it's no surprise no one remembers Carson as a violent Iguy.
You are right, I don't remember what went on that long ago and my memory is still sharp but it isn't something that you hang onto. About 25 years ago, I was working with a guy and we friends. One night he went and was arrested for attempted armed robbery at a liquor store. He was the nicest guy in my presence. Ever see those news reporters on sociopaths that bury like 23 guys under their porch? I remember one where an older woman said "He was always so nice. He used to carry my groceries for me."

Old 11-05-2015, 04:40 PM

5,381 posts, read 2,840,723 times
So they gave up trying to prove that Carson never ate at a Popeye's Fried Chicken. Talk about grasping at straws. We truly deserve the government we get!

Old 11-05-2015, 05:00 PM

9,725 posts, read 15,172,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hashbrown View Post
Carson was 14 during the alleged stabbing incident. Can anyone here in their 60s chime in on how well you remember your classmates in 8th or 9th grade? Also, even violent people are not violent most of the time so it's no surprise no one remembers Carson as a violent guy.
I'm almost 60 and I remember my classmates pretty well actually.... I still have friends that I grew up with that I met in 7th grade (when I moved to that school district).

Old 11-05-2015, 05:04 PM

You know, Hillary has had her life under a microscope for the past 25 years, to the point that we are now reading her personal e-mails. Is it really that bad that we expect the same from the GOP candidates?

Old 11-05-2015, 05:06 PM

8,069 posts, read 6,970,740 times
I think CNN should leave this alone. People are not gonna remember incidents from 50 years ago.

Sure he could be exaggerating but there is no way to prove that.

I physically assaulted a kid in middle school back in the early 90's. I bet if you ask my friends from back then no one would remember and they would probably would say I wouldn't do that because I was a very responsible girl who would get good grades. There was no school record because the kid never reported me. I would imagine in the 60's these incidents were far more common.

I also had a friend who I later found out he was working as hitman and that he hit his mother regularly. Before I found out I never suspected anything. If I had never met 2 people who knew him better than me I would have never found out. I know those two people were not lying because they actually did not know each other. Sometimes you think you know people but you don't.

A black teenager in the 60's probably had anger issues

Old 11-05-2015, 05:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnywhereElse View Post

You are right, I don't remember what went on that long ago and my memory is still sharp but it isn't something that you hang onto. About 25 years ago, I was working with a guy and we friends. One night he went and was arrested for attempted armed robbery at a liquor store. He was the nicest guy in my presence. Ever see those news reporters on sociopaths that bury like 23 guys under their porch? I remember one where an older woman said "He was always so nice. He used to carry my groceries for me."
Your memory isn't that sharp. My dad was in the service and we moved at least once every single year when I was in elementary school -- and I still remember kids that were in my classes all the way back to First Grade!!!

Old 11-05-2015, 05:19 PM

11,755 posts, read 7,117,231 times
A very interesting read, especially the comments of his childhood friends.

He may have fibbed or embellished here and there, which is somewhat understandable . . . you kind of have to do that when you write 8 books on same stuff.

Mick

Old 11-05-2015, 05:25 PM

8,069 posts, read 6,970,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UB50 View Post
Your memory isn't that sharp. My dad was in the service and we moved at least once every single year when I was in elementary school -- and I still remember kids that were in my classes all the way back to First Grade!!!
Nobody has a sharp memory. Maybe you think you do but scientifically it is impossible.

Of course we all remember some classmates. However we don't remember the people we have forgotten so might think you remember everyone but you don't. We might confuse people and events. We don't have many ways to check for the accuracy of our memories for events that happened decades ago so in our minds what we remember is the correct story.

How Many of Your Memories Are Fake? - The Atlantic

Old 11-05-2015, 05:37 PM

23,795 posts, read 13,261,787 times
Hey--at least they don't have to prove the guy is a few grains short of a silo (er--pyramid). That becomes more obvious every time he speaks in public.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections