Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-06-2015, 06:43 AM

76,971 posts, read 47,629,107 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spartacus713 View Post
On the CNN website.
CNN is not waving it, you are.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-06-2015, 06:48 AM

12,372 posts, read 9,312,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post
You just don't get it. The weirdness is CNN investigators trying to prove Carson was a good kid in order to force a conclusion on readers that it makes him bad.

If it was anything else but politics, the CNN investigator would be trying to prove Mr Nice Guy surgeon really stabbed somebody and assaulted someone else.

It would be like (I'm just making this up for examples sake) Obama writing a book about himself saying when he was a kid in the ghetto he mugged old ladies and beat up the neighborhood kids for their lunch money and CNN going out and claiming everyone they talked to from his old middle class neighborhood said Obama sang in the church choir, collected food for the poor and helped old ladies cross the street. Therefore, he's a liar and shouldn't be trusted. It would be bizarre.
No, you just don't get it. CNN didn't go out to prove Carson was a good kid in order to force a conclusion on readers. They went out to find a story and the facts took them where they took them. If any of the people they interviewed had had a different memory of Carson, one that matched what Carson is saying, CNN would have had an entirely different and more interesting story to tell about how he turned his life around and how those he hurt either forgave me or not.

Old 11-06-2015, 06:52 AM

4,288 posts, read 2,059,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UB50 View Post
Well, it's all part of vetting a President. Remember when they went to Indonesia to vet Obama's childhood?
No, was it on a national venue like CNN?

Old 11-06-2015, 06:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UB50 View Post
You know, Hillary has had her life under a microscope for the past 25 years, to the point that we are now reading her personal e-mails. Is it really that bad that we expect the same from the GOP candidates?
Thats because she stored them in the same place as official emails.

Old 11-06-2015, 07:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
I remember too, and I remember the fights, and I remember a stabbing like it was yesterday.

The problem with the "I don't remember" argument is the fact that his friends do remember. They remember him as a nice quiet kid, not the violent gang-banger he claims to have been.
Did he claim to be a violent gang banger or did he claim he was mostly calm with fits of anger?

I am not really of fan of his politically and would not want Ben Carson to be the Republican nominee. But what bothers me is they would bother digging about this. He wrote a book 25 years ago and talks about how a religious experience changed him from a child who had some violent tendencies into a better person. And they think it is important to fact check it. Especially when the facts are hard to prove one way or the other.

Old 11-06-2015, 07:09 AM

76,971 posts, read 47,629,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eeyore1954 View Post
Did he claim to be a violent gang banger or did he claim he was mostly calm with fits of anger?

I am not really of fan of his politically and would not want Ben Carson to be the Republican nominee. But what bothers me is they would bother digging about this. He wrote a book 25 years ago and talks about how a religious experience changed him from a child who had some violent tendencies into a better person. And they think it is important to fact check it. Especially when the facts are hard to prove one way or the other.
Whatever he said in his book contradicts the testimonies of the people he grew up with.

Old 11-06-2015, 07:12 AM

Quote:
Whatever he said in his book contradicts the testimonies of the people he grew up with.
From the article. At least one of the people CNN talked to had heard of the knifing incident.

Quote:
Dixon said he had never heard about incidents involving bricks or bats, or the assault with the lock. When asked directly whether he knew of Carson's claim that he had once stabbed a friend in the waist, Dixon said he had heard talk about an incident like that back in those days, but didn't know "if it was just a rumor or what" and couldn't provide any further detail.
Also did he ever claim to be a "gang banger"?

From the article
Quote:
In "Gifted Hands," Carson described himself as slow to anger, but wrote that once he reached his boiling point, "I lost all rational control."

Old 11-06-2015, 07:29 AM

12,372 posts, read 9,312,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eeyore1954 View Post

We're talking about electing the man to be the leader or the free world and you don't he should be fact checked up one side and down the other? His religious conversion was a BIG part of his life, an important part of his life according to HIM so naturally a good journalist would think there was an interesting story in there that needed be explored and expanded upon. If they had found people to back up his story the same people pitching a fit that CNN dug into this would be praising them about now. There was no way CNN could have predicted the outcome of their investigation.

Old 11-06-2015, 07:41 AM

407 posts, read 388,825 times
Quote:
No, it does not. He got picked on and he lashed out by lunging at some kid with a hunting knife and hit his belt buckle. The liberals are scared he would defeat Hillary and they are desperate to get some dirt on him. Time to move on.

Old 11-06-2015, 07:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayland Woman View Post
We're talking about electing the man to be the leader or the free world and you don't he should be fact checked up one side and down the other? His religious conversion was a BIG part of his life, an important part of his life according to HIM so naturally a good journalist would think there was an interesting story in there that needed be explored and expanded upon. If they had found people to back up his story the same people pitching a fit that CNN dug into this would be praising them about now. There was no way CNN could have predicted the outcome of their investigation.
Do you think if they had found a bunch of people who remembered it we would have even heard about it? Unless they used it to portray him as a potentially violent person.
Do you think this is the first thing they dug into looking for something? Or do you think when they didn't find something in one spot they looked elsewhere?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections