Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Who are you voting for on Super Tuesday?
Romney 19 36.54%
Huckabee 3 5.77%
McCain 10 19.23%
Paul 20 38.46%
Voters: 52. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-01-2008, 09:53 PM

8,002 posts, read 18,607,550 times

Advertisements

OK, the post I was gonna respond to disappeared blacknights???

Anyway, I am open to having my mind changed before the election. I'm only leaning towards Romney based on this quote from his website:

"I believe the Second Amendment is about more than just self-defense or sport; it's about the basic freedom of lawful citizens to live their lives – to engage in the normal pursuits of society without the interference of the heavy hand of government."

and this one from CNN:

"Joined the NRA as a lifetime member in 2006."

Not much I know, but better than completely against guns. Like I said, Ron Paul would be my number 1, but if I had to choose between McCain and Romney
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-01-2008, 10:02 PM

1,156 posts, read 2,089,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewToCA View Post
I was going to vote for Thompson, and now I've switched to McCain.
One wants illegals gone on all 15 immigration points, and one wants illegals to stay and bad on all 15 points. One is a true conservative, the other is liberal and might as well say he is a democrat. I wonder why you switched to McCain? NumbersUSA

Old 02-01-2008, 10:15 PM

1,156 posts, read 2,089,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewToCA View Post
Illegal aliens is not near the top of my list of concerns. To me the problem is easy to solve, heavily fine employers hiring illegal aliens, and they will end up self deporting over a few years. The rest of the illegal alien stuff doesn't interest me at all, and I think the process of fining employers will happen regardless of who is elected.

I also don't care about political labels, I am pro choice on abortion for the first few months of pregnancy, and pro giving many rights to gays through civil unions. I am fine with calling abortion murder, with full prosecution liabilities, around the fifth or sixth month onward, and against gay marriage. I don't think the rich should be taxed more than today, and am fine with capital gains taxed at reduced rates. I think Social Security is fine as is, with minor tweaking. So I can be a little tough to label.

My issue is foreign affairs, and the strategic military relationships. Though I was against the Iraq war, before it began, I'm still very oriented towards establishing strong foreign military and trade relationships. I view McCain as far better than Romney is this area. As far as his temper goes, that is just a plus with me.
I see, but it will take an order to make employers stop hiring illegals, it will take a strong plan of action. McCain, and the democrats seem determined not to do this, they have made it clear they want illegals to stay, and do not want a complete fence. Congress just took away half our fence. It's a real fight and we have not won, yet. Not just illegal immigration, but many millions of addicts and relatives and our country will be saved/helped if they close our borders to stop the flow of illegal drugs/poisons that kill and ruin countless millions of lives. We've waited for 28 years that I know of.

Old 02-01-2008, 10:21 PM

14,044 posts, read 27,222,159 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by faith10 View Post
I see, but it will take an order to make employers stop hiring illegals, it will take a strong plan of action. McCain, and the democrats seem determined not to do this, they have made it clear they want illegals to stay, and do not want a complete fence. Congress just took away half our fence. It's a real fight and we have not won, yet. Not just illegal immigration, but many millions of addicts and relatives and our country will be saved/helped if they close our borders to stop the flow of illegal drugs/poisons that kill and ruin countless millions of lives. We've waited for 28 years that I know of.
You have much more confidence in that fence than I have. I see it as an OK idea, but not that big a deal. I think the agreement we have with Mexico, that $1.4 billion "get to the source" program is more in line with what I think needs to be done. I know the posters in Immigration Forum disagree, but...I think it is the correct approach.

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/10/23/wo...l?ref=americas

Old 02-01-2008, 10:30 PM

17 posts, read 29,380 times
Missouri for Ron Paul !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 02-01-2008, 11:00 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,867,563 times
Amnesty for illegals is a losing proposition in this country. They should have learned that when it failed not once but twice in the senate and didn't come close in the house.It could get very ugly on the border.

Old 02-02-2008, 12:51 AM

30,976 posts, read 21,641,969 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southernnaturelover View Post
I live in Alabama and I will be voting for Romney. The Huckabee campaign seems to be in full force here putting out signs. There were so many Huckabee signs the city had to remove some of them because they were in the way.
Well, no wonder, Alabama is one of the most enthusiastic states for supporting the religious right agenda. Huckabee looks mighty sweet to the religious right. In my town in Oklahoma, I've not seen one sign for Huckabee, but one for Romney and a rather big one for Paul as pictured below:

Old 02-02-2008, 08:04 AM

8,002 posts, read 18,607,550 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StillwaterTownie View Post
Well, no wonder, Alabama is one of the most enthusiastic states for supporting the religious right agenda. Huckabee looks mighty sweet to the religious right. In my town in Oklahoma, I've not seen one sign for Huckabee, but one for Romney and a rather big one for Paul as pictured below:

Hmmm, well I'm from ALABAMA!!! I voted from Ron Paul in the poll.

Old 02-02-2008, 09:13 AM

9,986 posts, read 18,672,077 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StillwaterTownie View Post

I saw in a poll today that Alabama was McCain's!!!!! yuck what are people thinking. Or are they?

Old 02-02-2008, 09:18 AM

3,326 posts, read 8,862,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freightmaster View Post
Missouri for Ron Paul !!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Here in the Kansas City area, people usually lean Democratic, but I've seen a LOT more Ron Paul signs and bumper stickers than anybody else, Republican and Democrat, combined.

I predict he'll actually pick up at least one state. I could be wrong, but with the enthusiasm of his supporters, I wouldn't be surprised.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections