Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-24-2015, 07:16 PM

14,268 posts, read 18,938,206 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyRider View Post
Yeah, today I said it took me “forever" to drive to work. Do you have to apologize?
Are you running for President of the United States? Did you stand up in front of an angry crowd and say it to get cheers?

I don't get it. The "Family Value" crowd is supporting a man who has been married 3 times (each time to a younger woman) cheated on his first wife, Ivana, with the woman who became his 2nd wife, Marla, and his current wife, Melania, is from Slovenia. Yes, she's gorgeous, but sometimes I wonder if Trump supporters just want to have a First Lady who was a Sports Illustrated swimsuit model!

Old 11-24-2015, 07:24 PM

3,298 posts, read 2,474,646 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justNancy View Post
Are you running for President of the United States? Did you stand up in front of an angry crowd and say it to get cheers?

I don't get it. The "Family Value" crowd is supporting a man who has been married 3 times (each time to a younger woman) cheated on his first wife, Ivana, with the woman who became his 2nd wife, Marla, and his current wife, Melania, is from Slovenia. Yes, she's gorgeous, but sometimes I wonder if Trump supporters just want to have a First Lady who was a Sports Illustrated swimsuit model!
In all fairness, I can't recall the last time I heard or saw the phrase "family values" being used sincerely in the political rhetoric. I don't think that meme is in play.

Old 11-24-2015, 07:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyRider View Post
Two hours before the attack in Paris, the concert goers could have asked when have been attacked by Belgians of Syrian descent?
The terrorists who attacked Paris were not refugees or immigrants. I don't see your point.

Old 11-24-2015, 07:29 PM

8,975 posts, read 10,215,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scratch33 View Post
In all fairness, I can't recall the last time I heard or saw the phrase "family values" being used sincerely in the political rhetoric. I don't think that meme is in play.
Tea Party, Evangelical Christians, it's all the same...it's still the crowd that *allegedly* supports "traditional morals" and "family values" at least when it suits them. Her point still stands.

Old 11-24-2015, 07:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluefox View Post
Tea Party, Evangelical Christians, it's all the same...it's still the crowd that *allegedly* supports "traditional morals" and "family values" at least when it suits them. Her point still stands.
Mmm, no - I don't think economic conservatives and social conservatives are all the same. Sure there are people who're both, but I know lots of economic conservatives who couldn't give two ****'s about religion or government-imposed morals. And a few social conservatives who don't care much at all about government spending - as long as it's spent on their agenda. I don't see the Evangelical influence this time around. With all the scandals attached to RW political and religious figures since "family values" was first touted as a primary political issue decades ago, it's become more of a joke than not.

Old 11-24-2015, 07:40 PM

Quote:
Mmm, no - I don't think economic conservatives and social conservatives are all the same. Sure there are people who're both, but I know lots of economic conservatives who couldn't give two ****'s about religion or government-imposed morals. And a few social conservatives who don't care much at all about government spending - as long as it's spent on their agenda. I don't see the Evangelical influence this time around. With all the scandals attached to RW political and religious figures since "family values" was first touted as a primary political issue decades ago, it's become more of a joke than not.
Ok great then can you please point me to a prominent Tea Party member who is 100% in favor of gay marriage? A purely economical conservative wouldn't give a rat's behind about gay marriage. The Tea Party and libertarianism is not the same thing.

Old 11-24-2015, 07:40 PM

Quote:
Well, Trump just appeared at a "Values Voters" Summit in September, hosted by the Family Research Council. The first thing he talked about was his Bible, which he held up as the crowd cheered. You can find his speech on YouTube.

I liked what Bobby Jindhal said about Donald Trump.

"You know he hasn’t read the Bible because his name’s not in the Bible."

Old 11-24-2015, 07:42 PM

And yes evangelical Christians are still a huge factor and give a lot of support to Trump.

Old 11-24-2015, 07:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by justNancy View Post
Well, Trump just appeared at a "Values Voters" Summit in September, hosted by the Family Research Council. The first thing he talked about was his Bible, which he held up as the crowd cheered. You can find his speech on YouTube.

I liked what Bobby Jindhal said about Donald Trump.

"You know he hasn’t read the Bible because his name’s not in the Bible."
Well I did state "sincerely".

Trump, along with probably most of his fellow GOP'ers did the obligatory stop at a right-wing function. Nothing on his own campaign site yells out "family values"; his main issues as reflected there are trade reform with China; VA reform; tax reform; 2A and immigration. And a casual surf of the Family Research Council's website doesn't turn up any glowing review of The Donald.

Old 11-24-2015, 07:56 PM

I haven't watched any of the GOP debates, but could someone tell me if "family values" was one of the issues covered; and if so for how extensively in comparison to other issues?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections