Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-28-2015, 02:44 PM

23,795 posts, read 13,261,787 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
It has been obvious all along, but after the Sunday news shows, both my husband and I thought the same thing....
The Dems, and most of the media's, only tactic right now is to keep drumming that anyone who could support Trump is ignorant. "Trump is crude" "Trump is vulgar" "Trump is an unbalanced egomaniac" "Trump is unqualified" It is the same tactic the Dems always use, when they can't compete on substance.
All of those things MIGHT be true, but they also might not. Trump has had a life of genuine accomplishments, including raising some fine, high quality kids. A person needs to be of genuine substance to do these things, and this is what is resonating with voters who recognize it.

Trump makes me think of Harry Truman, whose bluntness was routinely embarrassing, and whose meager background was subject to ridicule. He turned out to be a greatly admired President.
Unfortunately, Trump is not looked upon as presidential by many. Bluntness and crudeness are very different. Trump is crude and thin-skinned, and his background is far from meager--it is ostentatious.

He is a huckster who does not care about people, and this is obvious in his past actions, such as rolling over anyone who gets in the way of something he wants. He cares mostly about his massive ego and has basically treated people like dirt. There is nothing substantive about that. Nobody will ever greatly admire a guy who has made the disgusting comments he has and has treated people as badly as he has.

Read about the lives he's destroyed, and tell us what a great guy he is.

And, nothing personal, but his supporters tend to believe odd things, such as we should bomb countries from Disney cartoons. You may not consider that ignorant--but it certainly doesn't reflect great knowledge.

If his supporters believe it's ok to say the disgusting things he has said about people, then that is a rather sad commentary on civility in our society.

Trump Lead Grows Nationally; 41% of His Voters Want to Bomb Country From Aladdin; Clinton Maintains Big Lead - Public Policy Polling

http://mashable.com/2015/12/11/donald-trump-aberdeen-golf-club/#d63uX1y3z8qk

'Slobs, dogs, pigs': 7 women Donald Trump egregiously insulted
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-28-2015, 02:59 PM

4,490 posts, read 3,930,229 times
I like Trump, but I really wonder if he wants to do that crappy job for 4 years day in and day out. Winning it is one thing, doing it requires a whole different mindset. This, in my opinion, has been one of Obama's many problems. Loves to campaign, hates the job.

Old 12-28-2015, 03:05 PM

50,374 posts, read 63,977,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Enigma777 View Post
Unfortunately, Trump is not looked upon as presidential by many. Bluntness and crudeness are very different. Trump is crude and thin-skinned, and his background is far from meager--it is ostentatious.

He is a huckster who does not care about people, and this is obvious in his past actions, such as rolling over anyone who gets in the way of something he wants. He cares mostly about his massive ego and has basically treated people like dirt. There is nothing substantive about that. Nobody will ever greatly admire a guy who has made the disgusting comments he has and has treated people as badly as he has.

Read about the lives he's destroyed, and tell us what a great guy he is.

And, nothing personal, but his supporters tend to believe odd things, such as we should bomb countries from Disney cartoons. You may not consider that ignorant--but it certainly doesn't reflect great knowledge.

If his supporters believe it's ok to say the disgusting things he has said about people, then that is a rather sad commentary on civility in our society.

Trump Lead Grows Nationally; 41% of His Voters Want to Bomb Country From Aladdin; Clinton Maintains Big Lead - Public Policy Polling

http://mashable.com/2015/12/11/donald-trump-aberdeen-golf-club/#d63uX1y3z8qk

'Slobs, dogs, pigs': 7 women Donald Trump egregiously insulted
What your post makes me think of is, Do you want the best surgeon, with no people skills, to operate on you, or do you want the mediocre surgeon with the best bedside manner?

I tend to judge a person on the kind of family he has raised. The kind of person you describe would have kids who are dropouts and drug abusers. I feel there is substance in Trump, but he is not used to having to tiptoe through the sensibilities of others, and so he comes across as crass.

Do not mistake me for a Trump supporter, but I do not think he is being fairly judged. I care nothing about PC pussyfooting politicians, so I'm still enjoying him and so are a lot of other people.

Old 12-28-2015, 03:12 PM

50,374 posts, read 63,977,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LAappraiser View Post
I like Trump, but I really wonder if he wants to do that crappy job for 4 years day in and day out. Winning it is one thing, doing it requires a whole different mindset. This, in my opinion, has been one of Obama's many problems. Loves to campaign, hates the job.
I disagree. By now, Trump can phone it in, as far as running his empire goes. Imagine the exhilaration of a new and different challenge every day. I think he would eat it up.

Old 12-28-2015, 03:16 PM

4,751 posts, read 5,439,701 times
Do you really think Trump had anything to do with the day to day raising of his kids? That his multiple marriages and relationships with younger and younger women is something to be held up as a good environment?

WOW, talk about drinking the koolaid!

Old 12-28-2015, 03:53 PM

7,413 posts, read 6,228,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MoonBeam33 View Post
Do you really think Trump had anything to do with the day to day raising of his kids? That his multiple marriages and relationships with younger and younger women is something to be held up as a good environment?

WOW, talk about drinking the koolaid!
No parent is perfect, but you look at the kids of multimillionaires and billionaires and you see a stereotype. They party, do drugs and don't really amount to much besides having a good name that invites privilege without them having to work.

Trump instilled a great work ethic into these kids (they said this themselves), and a lot of good things stem from that in life including character. He did something right.

Old 12-28-2015, 04:11 PM

4,751 posts, read 5,439,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by daylux View Post
No parent is perfect, but you look at the kids of multimillionaires and billionaires and you see a stereotype. They party, do drugs and don't really amount to much besides having a good name that invites privilege without them having to work.

Trump instilled a great work ethic into these kids (they said this themselves), and a lot of good things stem from that in life including character. He did something right.
No, the nannies did something right, and maybe their mothers.

If anything the kids turned out decent in spite of their father.

Last edited by MoonBeam33; 12-28-2015 at 04:19 PM..

Old 12-28-2015, 04:18 PM

23,795 posts, read 13,261,787 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
What your post makes me think of is, Do you want the best surgeon, with no people skills, to operate on you, or do you want the mediocre surgeon with the best bedside manner?

I tend to judge a person on the kind of family he has raised. The kind of person you describe would have kids who are dropouts and drug abusers. I feel there is substance in Trump, but he is not used to having to tiptoe through the sensibilities of others, and so he comes across as crass.

Do not mistake me for a Trump supporter, but I do not think he is being fairly judged. I care nothing about PC pussyfooting politicians, so I'm still enjoying him and so are a lot of other people.
He is salesman. Sales are his people skills. I have lived in the same cities with Trump since the 80s. I have had a lot of time to view his actions and behavior. He treats people like crap. Come back after you have watched "you've been trumped" and viewed just how little he cares about actual human beings that are inconveniently in the way of his materialistic plans.

Old 12-28-2015, 05:44 PM

23,975 posts, read 15,082,290 times
Give the moms, nannies, teachers and grandmas some credit. If Trumpis like most, he didn't know what was going on most of the time. Perhaps he had the good sense to get the right help.

I could be wrong. He may have raised them all by himself while running an qempire.

Old 12-28-2015, 07:39 PM

46,961 posts, read 25,990,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
Trump aside, we had better come up with a way to elect our politicians that does not require "a source of wealth". We can't have just slimy billionaires or their paid servants running for office if we ever hope to have government of, by or for the people again.
Billionaires are just a better grade of people, and we should be grateful when they dirty their hands with politics when they could be out making themselves richer instead.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections