Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Investing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you think the stock market is being manipulated?
Yes. 31 77.50%
No. 9 22.50%
Voters: 40. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-06-2009, 05:51 AM

1,989 posts, read 4,466,801 times

Advertisements

If so, what makes you think so? Who do you think is doing the tinkering?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-06-2009, 06:34 AM

2,984 posts, read 5,858,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cohdane View Post
If so, what makes you think so? Who do you think is doing the tinkering?
I think there is great pressure by Wall Street and the baby boomers to recap their losses. In addition every first term president wants a second term, so there are hands busy behind the scenes tinkering with the market in the hopes they can artificially force the prices of stocks up, even thought this is little growth to really make it happen. It's all on speculation, or better yet hopeful gambling.

Old 05-06-2009, 06:43 AM

1,172 posts, read 2,633,737 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stac2007 View Post
I think there is great pressure by Wall Street and the baby boomers to recap their losses. In addition every first term president wants a second term, so there are hands busy behind the scenes tinkering with the market in the hopes they can artificially force the prices of stocks up, even thought this is little growth to really make it happen. It's all on speculation, or better yet hopeful gambling.
I agree with this. I was just thinking about it this morning and I don't understand the current rally at all. I see more and more people laid off, the major banks are struggling, GM, Chrysler, Ford, Toyota, Honda, etc. are all doing terrible, some down 60%+. Unemployment numbers are terrible. Negative 6+% GDP for the second straight quarter, which signals a deep recession. BOA needs another 34 billion dollars which is just awful, but keep in mind they have already taken 45 billion in tarp funds. This is our biggest bank and its failing. Yes, people those numbers are in the BILLIONS that the bank needs to raise.

The stock market should be at 5000, no where near the 8k+ its at right now.
To top it off, its up 70 points in early market trading. It's defying logic right now. I'm staying away.... thats for sure.

Old 05-06-2009, 07:02 AM

975 posts, read 1,755,352 times
Just because you don't understand the rally that means the market is manipulated?

Perhaps you just don't understand how the market works?

Good choice to stay out though. Not many people do understand how markets work which is why most people lose their money.

Old 05-06-2009, 08:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Traderx View Post
Just because you don't understand the rally that means the market is manipulated?

Perhaps you just don't understand how the market works?

Good choice to stay out though. Not many people do understand how markets work which is why most people lose their money.

I think its safe to say that most of the people who had their money in the market lost their shirt. Regardless of if they knew how the market worked or not. I think the majority of people are down huge right now. Those that did not sell are still down huge right now, even in this fake upward market trend.
They were expecting us to lose 650k jobs and we only lost 491k jobs. Oh, we must have hit the bottom! Yeah right!

The market is so desperate for a bottom that any kind of news that can be twisted to look good sends the market up. For your information I sell to companies all over the US, from Maine to California and everywhere in between. Just about everyone is struggling right now. We will not start seeing any positive GDP numbers this year like they are trying to say. They said the same thing in 2008, just wait until the second quarter etc. Yeah, right.

BOA needs 34 billion dollars, thats a "B" as in BILLIONS. They have already borrowed 45 BILLION. Of course they are trying to find ways to twist this to make it look positive. BOA will need to raise capital which will dilute the current shares and burn the shareholders... yet the stock is going up? If they have to take more money from TARP, that will dilute the stock even further.

Honestly, it doesn't matter what the stock market is doing. The whole US is taking a beating right now, so wall street can spin this anyway they want, but the fact is we are in a DEEP DARK RECESSION, and cash is KING. I will keep most of mine out of there.

Old 05-06-2009, 09:19 AM

975 posts, read 1,755,352 times
Sounds like your not making money. Sorry about that. Doing well here so no complaints.

Old 05-06-2009, 09:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Traderx View Post
Sounds like your not making money. Sorry about that. Doing well here so no complaints.
Sure you are.

Old 05-06-2009, 09:28 AM

12,022 posts, read 11,577,118 times
the manipulation is in both directions. many traders and speculators seek to capitalize on information that indicates that the insiders have gotten the crowd to lean too heavily in one direction.

Old 05-06-2009, 09:29 AM

370 posts, read 440,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ufcrules1 View Post
I think its safe to say that most of the people who had their money in the market lost their shirt. Regardless of if they knew how the market worked or not. I think the majority of people are down huge right now. Those that did not sell are still down huge right now, even in this fake upward market trend.
They were expecting us to lose 650k jobs and we only lost 491k jobs. Oh, we must have hit the bottom! Yeah right!

The market is so desperate for a bottom that any kind of news that can be twisted to look good sends the market up. For your information I sell to companies all over the US, from Maine to California and everywhere in between. Just about everyone is struggling right now. We will not start seeing any positive GDP numbers this year like they are trying to say. They said the same thing in 2008, just wait until the second quarter etc. Yeah, right.

BOA needs 34 billion dollars, thats a "B" as in BILLIONS. They have already borrowed 45 BILLION. Of course they are trying to find ways to twist this to make it look positive. BOA will need to raise capital which will dilute the current shares and burn the shareholders... yet the stock is going up? If they have to take more money from TARP, that will dilute the stock even further.

Honestly, it doesn't matter what the stock market is doing. The whole US is taking a beating right now, so wall street can spin this anyway they want, but the fact is we are in a DEEP DARK RECESSION, and cash is KING. I will keep most of mine out of there.

Hey Zippy, we lost 631,000 jobs last week not 491,000. They were predicting 645,000 so this is a sign that the economy is in recovery.

Yes this makes perfect sense, 631k is so much better than 645k. Good times are on their way.

Old 05-06-2009, 09:33 AM

1,458 posts, read 3,284,633 times
Well, the rise in the stock market can probably be predicted. The capital injections into banks have to go somewhere as capital reserve ratios have increased and they did "report" positive first quarter "earnings".

In a corporate balance sheet, a good chunk goes into "investing" capital. If the TARP money isn't being lent out... where else can these "institutional" investors put the funds? They do have billions in capital sitting on their balance sheets that needs to earn "interest" (err, I mean sucker's money) to pay interest on previous loans and to maintain solvency from the upcoming defaults as the moratoreum wears out and the second wave of foreclosures stream in.

Once the default numbers start piling up, and the loan loss coverage starts to be spent for losses, you'll see the stock market shrinking Really quickly.

-chuck22b
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Investing