Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-31-2015, 01:58 AM

29,607 posts, read 16,577,980 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonnieinDallas View Post
I love how all the Trump haters keep parroting the same warn out lines they hear the "experts" on TV say. The excuses are getting dull. It's ok though, Trump is about to start winning primaries, and he's going to go on to not only beat Hillary, but ruin her career forever.

I'm a Democrat, and like the OP I wasn't excited about the upcoming election for various reasons. I definetly wasn't planning on even considering anyone on the Republican side until I watched Trump's announcement speech this summer. It instantly resonated with me. There are many members of the silent majority who you'd never expect. We will all see that soon.
You are a Democrat and you support Donald Trump????

I think what you meant to say is that I have voted for Democrats in the past,but I support Trump. An actual Democrat would not vote for a Republican, that is the very premise of political parties. By the very broad standard of having the same set of beliefs and ideals, every Democrat is better than every Republican, in theory, and I dont see how Trump in anyway changes that premise.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-31-2015, 05:25 AM

20,128 posts, read 16,183,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsjj251 View Post
You are a Democrat and you support Donald Trump????

I think what you meant to say is that I have voted for Democrats in the past,but I support Trump. An actual Democrat would not vote for a Republican, that is the very premise of political parties. By the very broad standard of having the same set of beliefs and ideals, every Democrat is better than every Republican, in theory, and I dont see how Trump in anyway changes that premise.
Because he's really just a Democrat spouting hatred towards less powerful demographic groups and attacking Republican candidates in a juvenile manner. He's a mole.

Old 12-31-2015, 05:35 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,851,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SinaloaPaisa View Post
I honestly believe Trump is gonna bring out a ton of typically non voters. 3/4ths of the USA do not vote. That is a ton of people that for what ever reason decides not to vote election after election. Take myself for example, 30 year old, college educated, white male who has zero interests in politics (I think it is beyond corrupt, all of it, the whole system). If Trump is on the ticket I am voting, plain and simple. You have people like me who hate the system and would love to give a big FU to both parties, you have people that love Trump's non PCness, you have people that love Trump's confidence and bravado, you have people that love his business acumen, and you have people that would vote for Trump simply because of the sheer insanity that entails. In the last election, there was only like a 3-5 million difference in votes. I think Trump can easily cover this and more with the sheer number of non voters I believe he is gonna bring out.
you certainly make some good points but the problem with your ideas seems to be; polls show that the large majority of people in your age group that are likely voters do not like him, especially women and educated young people. I am not a huge believer in polls I will add but I can't totally agree with your reasoning. One of the reasons the Republicans lost in 2012 was a candidate they could not support thus the poor turn out. And by the way, it doesn't make a heck of a lot of difference how many voters turn out; He would need a lot more than those, who didn't vote last time to support him. There have already been a number of people, right here on CD that say they would stay home before voting for him. And remember the majority of people on CD are voters, unlike you, who do not bother.

Oh, and by the way, when you start quoting number do your research first. Where did you come up with the % of those who do not vote: that is way off.

Old 12-31-2015, 05:45 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,851,258 times
Quote:
I think alot of people are gonna be surprised at Trump's support if he is on the ticket.
I think you need to understand politics a little better. Hoping and having it happen are very different. Frist and this is the most important part is: getting the nomination. If he doesn't go to the convention with enough delegates to insure the nomination he will not be the candidate. The party won't let this happen and the majority of independents are unlikely to support him if he does get the nomination. I think you are the one that is hoping for something that more than likely isn't going to happen.

Old 12-31-2015, 10:19 AM

16,212 posts, read 10,838,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTQ3000 View Post
I don't know how this would play out if the general is Hillary v. Mr. Trump. No doubt that he would turnout the typical non-voter white males. However, he undeniably would also motivate others to turn out to vote against him. Let's see:

Women: Mr. Trump does horribly with women. War on women, blah, blah. iCarly = "that face", blah, blah
Hispanics: Trust me, your distinction between citizens/legal vs. illegals would be totally lost on the Hispanics
Muslim: A relatively small segment, but the turnout at 100% "against" vote
POW: Hopefully they do not get captured by a Charlie before getting to the voting booth
Blacks: Fake crime stats from a white supremacist group + the beating of BLM guy + denigrating their hero Obama = FU
Asians: His mocked Asian accent and suggested internment of Muslims might hit too close to home
Handicapped: Hopefully they can register their votes on the machine with their crooked hands
Gays: Nope. Rosie O'Donnell.
Pro-choice: Nope
Pacifists: A big fat FU
RINOs: Let us cut off our nose to save our party

Maybe it's a wash, I dunno. 5-10 million votes to overcome from 2008/2012. Trump's supporters (very high "no college" demographics) might not vote even if they seem excited, as per the past results for such demo group.

Mick
ITA with this. OP and Trump supporters you don't seem to realize that the majority of the GOP doesn't support Trump. The majority of Democrats doesn't support Trump. The majority of independents do not support Trump.

I don't see how you all think he has a chance of winning. I also, like previous posters feel the GOP is NOT going to let him come in and ruin their party. Many of the establishment, old school GOP public office holders don't even like Cruz and the overtly conservative wing, but even they are more "conservative" than Trump who used to be a Democrat and says a lot of things now as a Republican that is highlighting the GOP lack of diversity, as shown above, that many in the GOP are seeking to remedy.

All of MTQ's list above WILL NOT support Trump. They are the majority of the country by a landslide. You all keep talking about white males, but a ton of white males are educated and not prejudicial and do not like the prejudicial rhetoric of Trump. White women on the whole do not like the sexist and prejudicial rhetoric of Trump.

Also, he does not have a platform. He has no ideas or plans and like another poster said is like a teenager attempting to "out-do" other candidates.

He in entertaining, that is all. For the OP and others who don't normally vote, please know that he is indeed a polarizing figure for independents and people who are dissatisfied with the current crop of presidential candidates. I don't like ANY of the front runners. As stated, I am an independent in Ohio. My vote counts A LOT in presidential elections as all the modern day presidents have not won the presidency without winning Ohio. That said, if Trump gets on the ticket, I will vote for whatever Democrat runs against him. I take the reputation of my country very seriously. Having a "celebrity" president is not "cool" to me. Any idiot can say whatever comes out of their mouth. It takes intelligence and poise and leadership skills to hold back one's subjective views and take an objective opinion. Trump does not have that quality IMO. He has "dissed" too many minority groups in particular who are growing in influence. His meanderings about the hispanic community in particular were pretty atrocious in regards to GOP outreach goals for hispanics. He has alienated a lot of Asian voters with his mocking and talk of mass deportation and blocking of immigrant from "the Middle East." The Middle East, for those who don't know, is in ASIA. There are a lot of Asian-Indian muslims and Asian Indians are frequently thought to be muslims as are sheiks. These groups will not support Trump. Your idea of a mass white man turnout for a white man who "speaks his mind" is one that is not based in reality in regards to the demographics of this country. A large percentage of white men are educated, non-prejudicial, and don't like the stuff Trump says and will not support him and they like all the groups mentioned above, will turn out to vote against Trump should he get the nomination (which I don't think will happen).

Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post
I don't think so. Voters won't turn out for Hillary. Not a like/dislike thing for her or Trump. They just aren't enthusiastic about her enough to vote. When the pollsters ask "Likely Voters" about Trump vs Hillary, I'd like to know if the "likely" part is in any way based on Obama's Democrat turnout two times. Because I don't see the enthusiasm for her like they had for him. Assuming Trump is the GOP nominee, ask yourself whether more of his supporters will turn out for him than her supporters turn out for her. So far, I see a lot of the so called experts questioning his turnout ability but I don't see any of them looking at hers. The General Election is going to come down to level of enthusiasm...and who the 60 and over people vote for, in my opinion. I think in a Trump vs Hillary match up, a lot of people who like Hillary won't vote at all.
I think the bold is very incorrect. People will turn out and vote for Clinton over Trump because they severely dislike Trump.

Again, I am an independent in a purple state. I don't really like Clinton. I don't like Bernie Sanders. I don't know much about O'Malley and know he won't get the nomination anyway so I don't care about him or Sanders as neither of them will get the nomination. The Dems have NO ONE that is exciting IMO.

On the GOP side, I do like Kasich, who is WAY behind in the polls. He is the governor here in my state and even though I don't like a few things he has implemented here in Ohio, he is capable of being a good leader on the national level IMO. He comes from a poor background so has a good personal story. He has moved further to the center after being a very conservative republican in the past and he has a lot of support within Ohio's minority population (he got about 30% of the black vote here in Ohio in the last gubernatorial election, I am black and a lot of the black business community supports Kasich, I also know a lot of hispanic, Asian, white and black people in my primarily Democratic district who support Kasich). If there was a competition between Kasich and Clinton, I'd go with Kasich. I would seriously consider Christie over Clinton, but I would most certainly choose Clinton over Trump, he is way to "out there" IMO and would be in over his head. I would be afraid he'd have some sort of tantrum on the world stage. I think many people who don't have a diverse group of friends/family/associates just don't know that a large amount of people will not support Trump.

Old 12-31-2015, 12:10 PM

19,792 posts, read 13,967,937 times
I love reading these posts by disaffected Republicans. Please, please nominate Trump. The GOP needs a refresher lesson from 1964. American voters are basically middle ideologically. When a candidate is perceived as too far right or too far left, they lose. Trump's immigration views are hard right. His other 'ideas' are generally unworkable and unpassable. His tax plan lavishes cuts on the wealthy and balloons the debt.

Clinton is far from a leftist (except in the minds of ultra conservatives who think anyone to the left of Reagan is a leftist) and represents the middle of the road.

The reality is that if voters are concerned about bread and butter issues, they aren't going to get those issues solved by Republicans, who have traditionally stood in the way of every benefit to the middle-class. The GOP showers benefits on the wealthy class.

In a contest between Trump and Clinton I can't see how Clinton wouldn't win in a landslide.

Old 12-31-2015, 12:13 PM

52,430 posts, read 26,678,767 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RonnieinDallas View Post

I'm a Democrat, and like the OP I wasn't excited about the upcoming election for various reasons. I definetly wasn't planning on even considering anyone on the Republican side until I watched Trump's announcement speech this summer. It instantly resonated with me. There are many members of the silent majority who you'd never expect. We will all see that soon.
Indeed. Same here.

There are a very large number of Democrats who voted for Obama, who are absolutely disgusted with his performance, who will now be voting for Trump.

Old 12-31-2015, 12:21 PM

19,792 posts, read 13,967,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WaldoKitty View Post
Indeed. Same here.

There are a very large number of Democrats who voted for Obama, who are absolutely disgusted with his performance, who will now be voting for Trump.
Please elaborate about what specifically you are disgusted about Obama. He completely turned around the employment picture; the economy is better than it was since 2007 -- and far better than what he inherited. The ACA is performing better than predicted and has decreased the uninsured rate to record low numbers. Obama passed financial reforms and financial consumer protections. The measures that he wasn't able to pass was because of the GOP blocking him in Congress.

So, what you are going to do is reward Republicans for putting stumbling blocks in front of Democrats.

Old 12-31-2015, 12:40 PM

52,430 posts, read 26,678,767 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTAtech View Post
Please elaborate about what specifically you are disgusted about Obama. He completely turned around the employment picture; the economy is better than it was since 2007 -- and far better than what he inherited. The ACA is performing better than predicted and has decreased the uninsured rate to record low numbers. Obama passed financial reforms and financial consumer protections. The measures that he wasn't able to pass was because of the GOP blocking him in Congress.

So, what you are going to do is reward Republicans for putting stumbling blocks in front of Democrats.
Responses.

• Employment? - Millions of middle class jobs replaced by part time work which Obama counts the same. It has never been this bad in the USA.
  • Economy? - 1 out of 5 are on food stamps and 1 out 3 need some sort of payment from the government just to get by each month. Average house hold income is falling.
  • ACA? - Devastating to small business, the middle class (what's left), and large numbers of the population who are seeing rate increases for less service.
  • Financial Reform? - Haha. Millions of people lost their homes, banksters are still getting rich, and Obama's AG did not bring one criminal charge against any banker, hedge fund manager, whatever who cause the crisis. Want more, go look up John Corzine.
Oh and you didn't say anything about crony capitalism (which he promised to eliminate), war mongering, he has bombed 7 Arab countries and leaving absolute chaos, his lack of almost anything positive on the world stage except appeasement of two dictators.

Since you asked, almost anyone would have to be completely asleep or completely delusional to think that Obama has done this country any good. He turned out to be as bad as the president he replaced.

And THAT is why many democrats won't be voting for Hillary.

Old 12-31-2015, 01:41 PM

5,381 posts, read 2,846,662 times
Quote:
I honestly believe Trump is gonna bring out a ton of typically non voters. 3/4ths of the USA do not vote. That is a ton of people that for what ever reason decides not to vote election after election. Take myself for example, 30 year old, college educated, white male who has zero interests in politics (I think it is beyond corrupt, all of it, the whole system). If Trump is on the ticket I am voting, plain and simple. You have people like me who hate the system and would love to give a big FU to both parties, you have people that love Trump's non PCness, you have people that love Trump's confidence and bravado, you have people that love his business acumen, and you have people that would vote for Trump simply because of the sheer insanity that entails. In the last election, there was only like a 3-5 million difference in votes. I think Trump can easily cover this and more with the sheer number of non voters I believe he is gonna bring out.

That is what Obama did. That is why Trump is the GOP version of Obama. Both in campaigning and in their view of the Presidency as a one man show.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections