Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-31-2015, 02:42 PM

21,486 posts, read 10,598,365 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by eye state your name View Post
That is what Obama did. That is why Trump is the GOP version of Obama. Both in campaigning and in their view of the Presidency as a one man show.
Maybe so, but Obama grew up in a bubble of hatred for this country, and Trump loves this country. I feel that his ego is such that he will get things done, and his non-government training will help him get things done. He doesn't even need to rely much on congress to accomplish some of his proposals because we already have laws on the books for immigration. All he has to do is start following them again.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-31-2015, 03:36 PM

19,792 posts, read 13,967,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WaldoKitty View Post
Responses.

• Employment? - Millions of middle class jobs replaced by part time work which Obama counts the same. It has never been this bad in the USA.
  • Economy? - 1 out of 5 are on food stamps and 1 out 3 need some sort of payment from the government just to get by each month. Average house hold income is falling.
  • ACA? - Devastating to small business, the middle class (what's left), and large numbers of the population who are seeing rate increases for less service.
  • Financial Reform? - Haha. Millions of people lost their homes, banksters are still getting rich, and Obama's AG did not bring one criminal charge against any banker, hedge fund manager, whatever who cause the crisis. Want more, go look up John Corzine.
Oh and you didn't say anything about crony capitalism (which he promised to eliminate), war mongering, he has bombed 7 Arab countries and leaving absolute chaos, his lack of almost anything positive on the world stage except appeasement of two dictators.

Since you asked, almost anyone would have to be completely asleep or completely delusional to think that Obama has done this country any good. He turned out to be as bad as the president he replaced.

And THAT is why many democrats won't be voting for Hillary.
This is a graph of full-time workers.
This is a graph if part-time workers.
If you notice, the number of full-time workers has been rising and part-time workers have been falling, under Obama.

In your assertion that, "1 out of 5 are on food stamps and 1 out 3 need some sort of payment from the government just to get by each month," you are including seniors on Social Security, and the disabled. Yeah, as the baby boomers retire, more will be getting their Social Security checks. No argument there.

Regarding Food Stamps, the number participating has been dropping due to a better economy. (http://www.wsj.com/articles/food-sta...all-1409606700)

With respect to the ACA, you said it was "devastating to small business." Odd, businesses that have fewer than 50 employees, which is a good definition of small business, are exempt from the ACA. Large businesses have health plans, generally. The effect of the ACA for employees of large businesses is that they now have their children covered up to age 26. I think that most Americans think that's a good benefit.

Essentially, I have heard your talking points before. They are the type that are tossed out on right-wing radio for the low information voters to absorb without questioning them.

The bottom line is that if you are an ordinary American -- not part of the top 1%, and think you are going to get a better shake from the Republicans, who historically have never protected middle-class jobs, safety or wages -- you are fooling yourself.

Old 12-31-2015, 05:05 PM

37,956 posts, read 17,896,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTAtech View Post
This is a graph of full-time workers.
This is a graph if part-time workers.
If you notice, the number of full-time workers has been rising and part-time workers have been falling, under Obama.

In your assertion that, "1 out of 5 are on food stamps and 1 out 3 need some sort of payment from the government just to get by each month," you are including seniors on Social Security, and the disabled. Yeah, as the baby boomers retire, more will be getting their Social Security checks. No argument there.
Boomers aren't retiring as fast because they can't afford to.
The Labor Participation Rate for those aged 18-54 is still falling.
The jobs don't pay. The median family income is stagnant at best

Quote:
Regarding Food Stamps, the number participating has been dropping due to a better economy. (Food-Stamp Use Starting to Fall - WSJ)

With respect to the ACA, you said it was "devastating to small business." Odd, businesses that have fewer than 50 employees, which is a good definition of small business, are exempt from the ACA. Large businesses have health plans, generally. The effect of the ACA for employees of large businesses is that they now have their children covered up to age 26. I think that most Americans think that's a good benefit.
The effect of the ACA for employees is there are less full time jobs compared to if we didn't have the inefficient and costly ACA.
If those that think it's a good idea, then pay for it themselves or work for a company that offers it but don't shove it down my throat and tell me it's for my own good. Yeah I'm going to rely on government because......

Quote:
Essentially, I have heard your talking points before. They are the type that are tossed out on right-wing radio for the low information voters to absorb without questioning them.

The bottom line is that if you are an ordinary American -- not part of the top 1%, and think you are going to get a better shake from the Republicans, who historically have never protected middle-class jobs, safety or wages -- you are fooling yourself.
Neither party offers much. Spend til the cows come home.

Old 12-31-2015, 05:08 PM

17,350 posts, read 11,312,371 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MoonBeam33 View Post
The flaw in your "logic" is that many non voters will come out to vote for anyone other than Trump as well.
I doubt that very much. The enthusiasm is definitely on Trump's side and growing every week.

Old 12-31-2015, 05:38 PM

3,051 posts, read 2,602,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SinaloaPaisa View Post
I honestly believe Trump is gonna bring out a ton of typically non voters. 3/4ths of the USA do not vote. That is a ton of people that for what ever reason decides not to vote election after election. Take myself for example, 30 year old, college educated, white male who has zero interests in politics (I think it is beyond corrupt, all of it, the whole system). If Trump is on the ticket I am voting, plain and simple. You have people like me who hate the system and would love to give a big FU to both parties, you have people that love Trump's non PCness, you have people that love Trump's confidence and bravado, you have people that love his business acumen, and you have people that would vote for Trump simply because of the sheer insanity that entails. In the last election, there was only like a 3-5 million difference in votes. I think Trump can easily cover this and more with the sheer number of non voters I believe he is gonna bring out.
Ron Paul would have done that the past 2 elections, which is the one reason I don't understand this blind support for Trump.

Old 12-31-2015, 09:53 PM

29,607 posts, read 16,586,021 times
Quote:
Indeed. Same here.

There are a very large number of Democrats who voted for Obama, who are absolutely disgusted with his performance, who will now be voting for Trump.
Candidate Obama is to the left of President Obama, if you have a problem with the way he has governed, there is no way you would then vote for or in any way support Donald Trump.

Old 01-01-2016, 02:24 AM

11,755 posts, read 7,131,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katygirl68 View Post
Maybe so, but Obama grew up in a bubble of hatred for this country, and Trump loves this country.
I hear this a lot from his supporters, but can you point to anything concrete instead of his campaign speeches and TV appearances? Talk is cheap. Every political candidate in the history of our country has proclaimed "love" for America (yes, even Obama) while campaigning. Perhaps when Mr. Trump had his branded ties made in China, or when he applied for hundreds of immigrant visas for his resort workers??

Quote:
Originally Posted by katygirl68 View Post
I feel that his ego is such that he will get things done, and his non-government training will help him get things done. He doesn't even need to rely much on congress to accomplish some of his proposals because we already have laws on the books for immigration. All he has to do is start following them again.
I understand from our conservative posters that Obama has a massive ego, and uses Executive Orders and his non-government training as a community organizer training to "help him get things done." "He doesn't even need to rely much on congress to accomplish some of his proposals because we already have laws on the books. . ." Yeah, ditto.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
One of the reasons the Republicans lost in 2012 was a candidate they could not support thus the poor turn out.
Conservatives here repeat that over and over to excuse their loss in 2012, but:

Quote:
Turnout was down for both Republicans and Democrats, falling 4.2 percentage points for the Democrats from 33.0 percent of eligible citizens in 2008 to 28.8 this year; and 1.2 percentage points for the GOP from 28.4 in 2008 to 27.2 this year.
2012 Election Turnout Dips Below 2008 and 2004 Levels: Number Of Eligible Voters Increases By Eight Million, Five Million Fewer Votes Cast | Bipartisan Policy Center

Democrats had a much bigger fall-off from 4 years ago, and just a 1.6% difference between the parties.

Quote:
There are a very large number of Democrats who voted for Obama, who are absolutely disgusted with his performance, who will now be voting for Trump.
Except that theory didn't hold water in 2012. In 2012, when the angst against Obama was unprecedented and his approval rating was horrible, 92% of Democrats still supported Obama (compare with 93% of GOP for Romney). And guess what, in 2008, only 89% of Democrats voted for Obama.

And this is from the latest Quinnipiac poll from December 22:

Quote:
5. If the election for President were being held today, and the candidates were Hillary Clinton the Democrat and Donald Trump the Republican, for whom would you vote?

COLLEGE DEG
Tot Rep Dem Ind Men Wom Yes No

Clinton 47% 8% 92% 39% 39% 54% 57% 42%
Trump 40 82 4 37 47 33 33 43
SMONE ELSE(VOL)2 2 - 4 2 2 2 2
WLDN'T VOTE(VOL)6 6 1 12 7 6 6 7
DK/NA 5 1 3 8 5 5 2 6

AGE IN YRS..............
18-34 35-49 50-64 65+

Clinton 60% 43% 42% 50%
Trump 21 46 45 39
SMONE ELSE(VOL)2 4 1 1
WLDN'T VOTE(VOL)12 4 6 4
DK/NA 4 3 6 6
Interesting, 92% of Democrats would vote for Hillary, and only 4% for Mr. Trump. Unless 4% constitutes a "a very large number of Democrats" in one's neck of the woods, the statement is misinformed. Also note that Independents will favor Hillary by a small margin, and women prefer Hillary by whopping 19%, and college graduates prefer Hillary by insane 24%.

Please show me something concrete that indicates that "a very large number of Democrats" will be migrating to Mr. Trump's camp. Pretty please?

Mick

Old 01-01-2016, 05:45 AM

14,221 posts, read 6,977,057 times
Quote:
I honestly believe Trump is gonna bring out a ton of typically non voters. 3/4ths of the USA do not vote. That is a ton of people that for what ever reason decides not to vote election after election. Take myself for example, 30 year old, college educated, white male who has zero interests in politics (I think it is beyond corrupt, all of it, the whole system). If Trump is on the ticket I am voting, plain and simple. You have people like me who hate the system and would love to give a big FU to both parties, you have people that love Trump's non PCness, you have people that love Trump's confidence and bravado, you have people that love his business acumen, and you have people that would vote for Trump simply because of the sheer insanity that entails. In the last election, there was only like a 3-5 million difference in votes. I think Trump can easily cover this and more with the sheer number of non voters I believe he is gonna bring out.
Look into Bernie Sanders who is more of a representative of the middle class and working class while being the only one who is clean from the corruption of electoral politics. He advocates an end to big money in politics, rejection of all the anti-worker trade deals signed by various presidents and strengthen unions and banking regulations. The longest serving independent in Congressional history and with more contributors to his campaign than any presidential campaign in US history. A true man of the people.

Old 01-01-2016, 06:44 AM

1,309 posts, read 1,161,199 times
The right wingers claim every election cycle that some magic group of non-voters will come to their rescue. It's the only way ignorant people can cope with a reality that they are outnumbered by decent liberal people. Romney was supposed to have all these phantom quiet conservative voters come out of the woodwork to vote for him and he lost commandingly.

Trump's fanbase is ignorant white supremacists, their hatred of Obama brought every single one of them out and they were still outnumbered. It's fun to live in pretend-land and make believe God wants Republicans to win but you'll have to either face reality or keep losing elections.

Old 01-01-2016, 06:46 AM

14,497 posts, read 9,446,158 times
Quote:
Let's hope so!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections