Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-01-2016, 10:27 AM

19,573 posts, read 8,522,211 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enigma777 View Post
Curious as to why someone is termed as "sitting on a high horse" when stating politically incorrect facts that may be disparaging to some, but when Trump makes any disparaging remark at all about individuals or entire groups of people (rarely back it up with facts), he is "telling it like it is" or "refreshingly honest?"
I have a sincere question for you. First, just to clarify, I am not a Donald Trump supporter.

What specifically has Trump said that is racist or bigoted as you seem to be suggesting? Please note that I am not asking if he has ever violated leftist notions of political correctness, because that is all bull****, so please let's not confuse the one with the other.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-01-2016, 10:32 AM
mm4

5,711 posts, read 3,979,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spartacus713 View Post
So, Donald Trump's largest group of supporters comes from 'a certain kind' of registered Democrat, according to the New York Times. Sure, Trump has supporters across the board. But he is a political moderate at the end of the day. In fact, Trump was a registered Democrat himself as recently as 2004.

So to those who still are trying to imagine that the Donald Trump eruption is a 'conservative' phenomenon, here is your opportunity to get your story straight. He is a moderate who currently is posing as a Republican, but who doubts for a second that he would become a Democrat again if he regarded it as beneficial to himself to do so.
Read Michael D'Antonio's biography of Trump, Never Enough. He's more conservative Republican than many people believe.

Old 01-01-2016, 10:39 AM

19,573 posts, read 8,522,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mm4 View Post
Read Michael D'Antonio's biography of Trump, Never Enough. He's more conservative Republican than many people believe.
Thanks for the suggestion, but I am content evaluating the situation for myself. Also, I could be mistaken, but I do not expect Trump to win the Republican nomination. If he doesn't, then his proverbial 15 minutes are probably just about up, so I will reserve my limited book reading time for other worthy works.

Old 01-01-2016, 10:40 AM

20,160 posts, read 12,763,707 times
My sister who is a registered Democrat, never voted for Republicans, will vote for Trump. I wonder how many people are like her. I wouldn't be surprised that he has a wider base.

Old 01-01-2016, 10:44 AM
mm4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spartacus713 View Post
Thanks for the suggestion, but I am content evaluating the situation for myself. Also, I could be mistaken, but I do not expect Trump to win the Republican nomination. If he doesn't, then his proverbial 15 minutes are probably just about up, so I will deserve my limited book reading time for other worthy works.
More information is often helpful in evaluating conditions.

I forecast Trump wins the nomination after some epic attempts by the now establishment neocon (aka leftist, Rockefeller Republican) GOP to derail it with a brokered convention.

Old 01-01-2016, 10:47 AM

6,617 posts, read 5,012,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katygirl68 View Post
Can we drop the term "uneducated"? Just because someone went to college doesn't make them automatically smarter than someone who went straight to work. I know people with college degrees who have zero common sense, while the supposed "uneducated" person who dropped out of school or only obtained a high school degree was a lot smarter. I also know people who went to college who are crazy smart and highly successful in their careers, but they don't necessarily have the same challenges in life as a person who has to scrape and scramble for jobs.
But uneducated does not mean smart or not smart, uneducated is lacking formal education which a high school dropout would be regardless of how smart or self taught he or she is.

Old 01-01-2016, 10:54 AM
mm4

Quote:
Originally Posted by DUNNDFRNT View Post
But uneducated does not mean smart or not smart, uneducated is lacking formal education which a high school dropout would be regardless of how smart or self taught he or she is.
Uneducated is lacking education of all kinds. Formal educations don't necessarily equate to more of it.

It's another word the effete progressive left wants to hijack.

More formally-educated people than you'd like to think simply aren't curious about their world. They're not pro-active about learning outside of costly classroom lecture for credit. They don't read. They don't seek knowledge. They're clueless in many of the conversations you want to engage them in.

Last edited by mm4; 01-01-2016 at 11:46 AM..

Old 01-01-2016, 11:04 AM
mm4

To no one's surprise is the fact that actual progressive, leftist, Democrat strongholds simply revile Trump: NYT, Salon.com, New York Daily News. They are as ringing a definition of his political make-up as any.

NYT has gone through not only Gandhi phases, but also Kübler-Ross ones, in trying to persuade those whom it influences against a Trump candidacy. Last week it tried pop psychology, devoting a whole column to the pseudo-psychological deconstruction of viral information by the best soft scientists its writer could summon from the halls of academia. Then it tried to show he's actually the disproportionate hopeful of a delusional, uneducated Dem. Later in the week it was side-by-side double feature of its favored 6%er Jeb!--again NYT's newsmaker of the year--in order to appeal to 'moderation.'

Last edited by mm4; 01-01-2016 at 11:15 AM..

Old 01-01-2016, 11:21 AM

6,617 posts, read 5,012,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post
Where are all of those NY Times stories about uneducated bigots in the inner cities who always vote Democrat? Which Democrat has their vote?
Those stories are about Trump why would they talk about democrat voters in the inner city? Trump is polling high while breaking all the rules, this is by definition is an anomaly which is why news outlets try to explain why. You want NYT to write articles about poor uneducated blue voters in the inner city just to make you feel better. Trump is a populist he has managed to effectively split the republican party by conducting class warfare, which to me is refreshing since I always wondered about low income gop voters on governed assistance voting against their own self interest.

Old 01-01-2016, 12:14 PM

11,791 posts, read 5,798,330 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PanapolicRiddle View Post
-sigh-

Please read the article. The 'certain kind of Democrat' they're referring to are those who self-identify as Republicans, but are registered as Democrats. That is, it's largely uneducated southern whites. While they might be registered as whites, they vote overwhelmingly Republican.

In other words, his primary constituency is uneducated, racist white people, which is no surprise.

You come up with some of the most bigoted comments and you're a Democrat? The party stands for acceptance of others beliefs even if we don't agree with them.

The type of Democrat who is interested in Trump is the educated long time Democrats who loved the party before it became so far left and PC. We are the Democrats with values similar to JFK - we accept differences but we won't back down in a crisis. We don't draw a line and let it be crossed again and again.

I have not decided who I'm voting for yet but it probably won't be a Democrat.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections