Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-28-2015, 07:55 PM

245 posts, read 193,556 times

Advertisements

I honestly believe Trump is gonna bring out a ton of typically non voters. 3/4ths of the USA do not vote. That is a ton of people that for what ever reason decides not to vote election after election. Take myself for example, 30 year old, college educated, white male who has zero interests in politics (I think it is beyond corrupt, all of it, the whole system). If Trump is on the ticket I am voting, plain and simple. You have people like me who hate the system and would love to give a big FU to both parties, you have people that love Trump's non PCness, you have people that love Trump's confidence and bravado, you have people that love his business acumen, and you have people that would vote for Trump simply because of the sheer insanity that entails. In the last election, there was only like a 3-5 million difference in votes. I think Trump can easily cover this and more with the sheer number of non voters I believe he is gonna bring out.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-28-2015, 07:59 PM

27,658 posts, read 16,151,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SinaloaPaisa View Post
I honestly believe Trump is gonna bring out a ton of typically non voters. 3/4ths of the USA do not vote. That is a ton of people that for what ever reason decides not to vote election after election. Take myself for example, 30 year old, college educated, white male who has zero interests in politics (I think it is beyond corrupt, all of it, the whole system). If Trump is on the ticket I am voting, plain and simple. You have people like me who hate the system and would love to give a big FU to both parties, you have people that love Trump's non PCness, you have people that love Trump's confidence and bravado, you have people that love his business acumen, and you have people that would vote for Trump simply because of the sheer insanity that entails. In the last election, there was only like a 3-5 million difference in votes. I think Trump can easily cover this and more with the sheer number of non voters I believe he is gonna bring out.
Quote:
would love to give a big FU to both parties
yeah that

Old 12-28-2015, 08:03 PM

15,823 posts, read 12,474,039 times
Quote:
I honestly believe Trump is gonna bring out a ton of typically non voters. 3/4ths of the USA do not vote.
Voter turn out is about 55% of eligible voters - still way too low. Your 3/4ths includes children. Even with the cult popularity of Obama and the Bush hate in 2008 turnout was only 57%.

Old 12-28-2015, 08:06 PM

245 posts, read 193,556 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katzpaw View Post
Voter turn out is about 55% of eligible voters - still way too low. Your 3/4ths includes children. Even with the cult popularity of Obama and the Bush hate in 2008 turnout was only 57%.
Ah yes, your right. Still doesn't change the premise. Lots and lots of non voters.

Old 12-28-2015, 08:12 PM

16,212 posts, read 10,832,961 times
Honestly, I think there are more people who hate Trump than who like/love him or "admire" him for being different.

I am neither a Trump supporter nor a Democrat, I am an independent voter, but I do usually vote. I will ensure all the people I know go out to vote and encourage them to vote for whoever is running against Trump. Grass roots groups would be hyper focused on ensuring we don't get someone as leader of our country who is basically a national embarrassment.

However, I don't think Trump will be on the ticket. If he is though, he will just guarantee Hillary Clinton wins the election if he runs as the GOP nominee as it will pull out all the super liberals and a large amount of independents in her favor. If he is not chosen as the nominee and runs as an independent, then he will just be a loser 3rd party candidate like all 3rd party candidates of late.

OP, I think you and others and maybe due to your lack of participation in previous elections, fail to realize that it is not sheer votes that wins our president the election. It is the electoral college. You may have a lot of Trump supporters who likes his prejudicial, non-pc meanderings, but they live in various different geographical areas. The Dems will carry their Democratic states. In states like mine - Ohio, where we have a lot independents such as myself, if Trump is not the GOP nominee, he will not win Ohio's electoral votes and he would likely split the GOP vote and deliver the election to Clinton.

Old 12-28-2015, 08:13 PM

46,973 posts, read 26,018,521 times
What, we're calling for unskewed polls already?

Old 12-28-2015, 08:16 PM

38,859 posts, read 25,558,965 times
Quote:

Come back in mid-November.

We'll talk.

Old 12-28-2015, 08:22 PM

4,751 posts, read 5,443,093 times
The flaw in your "logic" is that many non voters will come out to vote for anyone other than Trump as well.

Old 12-28-2015, 08:25 PM
NCN

21,663 posts, read 25,642,454 times
I am trying to figure out a purpose for this thread. People spend too much time overthinking voting and end up making a mess of things. I will be voting in the primary and in the main election and the last thing on my mind will be the outcome. If everybody of voting age went to the polls and voted their conscience, we would end up with a better president. Vote for the person you think would make the best president or for the one you think will bring the best solutions to the government whether they are on the ticket or not. Then let the chips fall where they may.

You do realize one is allowed to write in a name not on the ticket? There is no reason to stay home unless you really don't care who wins. That's allowed too.

The only vote that is the responsibility of the one voting is his/her one vote. Our ancestors devised a system that works fine. Just trust the process and go vote or not.

I have never been a fan of Trumps but I like the anti-PC logic he is bringing to the table. I also like his "can-do" attitude. I am tired of being told what I can and cannot say and seeing people being fired for saying what they think just because it doesn't agree with this communist president. That's the way communism works. They take your right to defend yourselves then they stop free speech dialog and threaten your relatives if you don't comply with their ideas. Nobody in America needs that.

We were sliding into that communistic valley before Trump came on the scene. When you are dealing with a controlling bully it just takes one person to give others the courage to put a stop to the wrongs going on.

Last edited by NCN; 12-28-2015 at 08:42 PM..

Old 12-28-2015, 08:26 PM

16,212 posts, read 10,832,961 times
For the OP here is a good article about not only the electoral college but the delegate voting process. It is not a one nighter and it includes obtaining votes from GOP delegates in "blue" more moderately republican districts that have Democrats as elected officials.

US News - Trump Won't Win as a Republican or Independent

From the article:
Quote:
The probability of Trump earning the Republican nomination when he is at most likely to garner about a third of the GOP delegates is very low – perhaps, less than 10 percent.

And here's why he's unlikely to win more delegates than that: Winning national party delegates is a long, hard, and complicated process.

Last edited by CaseyB; 12-31-2015 at 04:27 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections