Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-10-2016, 07:47 AM
PDD

8,773 posts, read 18,391,312 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolf39us View Post
I have no trouble with voting for Sanders. I'm gonna be there!
I was hoping for a decent Republican candidate but that's not happening.

I don't trust Hillary

So I'll vote for Bernie. We could do a lot worse (Trump)

I get tired of hearing how are we going to pay for his ideas about free college and such but for some reason we don't seem to worry about paying for more military expenses supporting people who either hate us or who change their alliance every couple of years.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-10-2016, 07:51 AM

30,419 posts, read 20,311,358 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharks With Lasers View Post
Donald Trump is an egoist nutcase.
And, what do you say about Barack Obama?

Quote:
The rest of the Republican field consists of religious extremists or people who have no plans other than more war and tax cuts for the wealthy.
"Religious 'extremists'" Really? You'll have to explain that one. That means they are Christians, right?

Do you not think it is necessary to defeat and destroy an enemy who has vowed to destroy us? How do we deal with such an enemy, who has declared war on us? Is the Democrat strategy of "just be nice, and they will love us," working? When did the "Make love not war" strategy ever work?

As for taxes: How many more jobs do you want to send over seas?

Why should wealthy people be relieved of their money to support those who love living off other peoples money through government redistribution programs?

Why should the U.S. have the highest corporate tax rate in the world? Wouldn't it be better to lower it and attract business from over seas to locate here, providing jobs for Americans?

Quote:
Hillary Clinton is slimy and corrupt.
Now that, we can agree on.
Quote:
I'm not sold on Bernie Sanders - you have to pay for his ideas somehow, and it will be unpleasant.
Duh.
Quote:
So basically this election is a whole bunch of yuck.
Well, you really have a problem then. Not sure what would suit you. It would seem, nothing.

Old 01-10-2016, 08:08 AM

7,685 posts, read 6,197,456 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nononsenseguy View Post
And, what do you say about Barack Obama?

"Religious 'extremists'" Really? You'll have to explain that one. That means they are Christians, right?

Do you not think it is necessary to defeat and destroy an enemy who has vowed to destroy us? How do we deal with such an enemy, who has declared war on us? Is the Democrat strategy of "just be nice, and they will love us," working? When did the "Make love not war" strategy ever work?

As for taxes: How many more jobs do you want to send over seas?

Why should wealthy people be relieved of their money to support those who love living off other peoples money through government redistribution programs?

Why should the U.S. have the highest corporate tax rate in the world? Wouldn't it be better to lower it and attract business from over seas to locate here, providing jobs for Americans?

Now that, we can agree on.

Duh.

Well, you really have a problem then. Not sure what would suit you. It would seem, nothing.

The problem with many is that their minds have turned to "mush" seasoned by the media and liberals who sold them a shipment of inedible molded government cheese and said it was great and the best for them.

So your responses while perfect is difficult for these turned to mush people to understand anymore as they only know of the media/liberals (their adopted outside Mommy and Daddy respectively) taking their hand and telling them how they should live by their (cough-cough) value system.

Old 01-10-2016, 10:46 AM

15,532 posts, read 10,504,683 times
"Are there a significant number of voters who dislike all of the choices?"

There is not one candidate that I agree with even 90%, much less 100%. I wouldn't say I disliked all of them though. I'm just not overly thrilled.

Old 01-10-2016, 11:37 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,756,288 times
Quote:
The rest of the Republican field consists of religious extremists or people who have no plans other than more war and tax cuts for the wealthy.
I'm not sold on Bernie Sanders - you have to pay for his ideas somehow, and it will be unpleasant.

Of course there are many who are looking for God or someone God like to run, but as I see it, there are some decent candidates running this time: for the Republicans the best choice in years. It is a matter of which would do the best job? I think you need to stop listening to people who do not have a clue and do some honest research on your own!! what type of a candidate are you looking for, does he/she exist or have they ever existed?

PDD; you were looking for an acceptable Republican so you are voting for Sanders? That makes as much sense as saying, I was hoping the Rams would move back to California, so I am routing for the Lakers?

Old 01-10-2016, 11:41 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,756,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spartacus713 View Post
Is there anyone who is an actual human being who would be acceptable to these people?
nope: my point exactly!!!!

Old 01-10-2016, 11:50 AM

11,181 posts, read 10,534,651 times
I've voted in every presidential election since 1972 and I've never known a candidate with whom I agreed with on all issues. 60-70% would be a good match.
"Likability" is just not an important criteria for me. I'll never be buds with any candidate or President, I vote for the one I think will do the best job.

Old 01-10-2016, 12:18 PM

52,431 posts, read 26,636,151 times
Quote:

Are there a significant number of voters? Hmm. Generally pollsters don't ask if you hate everyone.

I'm gonna say these will be part of the ones who won't vote.

Old 01-10-2016, 12:22 PM

3,130 posts, read 3,075,141 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
Of course there are many who are looking for God or someone God like to run, but as I see it, there are some decent candidates running this time: for the Republicans the best choice in years. It is a matter of which would do the best job? I think you need to stop listening to people who do not have a clue and do some honest research on your own!! what type of a candidate are you looking for, does he/she exist or have they ever existed?
I'm not a Republican, so I'm not sure why having "the best choice in years" would be helpful to me. I think at this point, I'd consider myself a slightly left-of-center independent. I'd probably be more likely to vote Democrat than Republican, but I'm skeptical of the "freebies" crowd (we need to work hard to get ahead) and the people who take social justice movements too far, so I think there needs to be some push back. That being said, I sincerely believe in REAL social justice, where everybody has the chance to succeed based on their efforts and not simply their circumstances or privileges. I value principles and integrity. I think there needs to be some flexibility and pragmatism in government, as long as it's not at the expense of our principles. I understand that people who run for president think more highly about themselves than the average person, but they need to earn respect from their colleagues and co-workers and not simply demand it - i.e. being able to get along with those they work with. I don't think that these are unreasonable expectations.

For me, the Republican candidates that might meet these criteria that I laid out - Graham and Kasich, have no shot of winning the primary. Republican voters seem to have a lot of anger, and are turning to my-way-or-the-highway types (Trump, Cruz.) Furthermore, there seems to be a lot of resentment of others based on their characteristics amongst Republican candidates and voters. This is not okay in my opinion, and I don't want to be a part of that.

Like I said earlier, Hillary Clinton seems to lack integrity, even if her ideas are relatively decent. And Sanders, while having integrity, seems to be heavily supported by those who take social justice movements a little too far. So what am I supposed to do? Stop educating myself?

Old 01-10-2016, 01:02 PM

39,232 posts, read 27,611,062 times
Quote:
I'm not a Republican, so I'm not sure why having "the best choice in years" would be helpful to me. I think at this point, I'd consider myself a slightly left-of-center independent. I'd probably be more likely to vote Democrat than Republican, but I'm skeptical of the "freebies" crowd (we need to work hard to get ahead) and the people who take social justice movements too far, so I think there needs to be some push back. That being said, I sincerely believe in REAL social justice, where everybody has the chance to succeed based on their efforts and not simply their circumstances or privileges. I value principles and integrity. I think there needs to be some flexibility and pragmatism in government, as long as it's not at the expense of our principles. I understand that people who run for president think more highly about themselves than the average person, but they need to earn respect from their colleagues and co-workers and not simply demand it - i.e. being able to get along with those they work with. I don't think that these are unreasonable expectations.

For me, the Republican candidates that might meet these criteria that I laid out - Graham and Kasich, have no shot of winning the primary. Republican voters seem to have a lot of anger, and are turning to my-way-or-the-highway types (Trump, Cruz.) Furthermore, there seems to be a lot of resentment of others based on their characteristics amongst Republican candidates and voters. This is not okay in my opinion, and I don't want to be a part of that.

Like I said earlier, Hillary Clinton seems to lack integrity, even if her ideas are relatively decent. And Sanders, while having integrity, seems to be heavily supported by those who take social justice movements a little too far. So what am I supposed to do? Stop educating myself?
This is actually a pretty reasonable post. I agree.

Maybe I will vote third party, but I am not so sure, Third party is not that exciting either.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections