Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-27-2016, 08:19 PM

16,569 posts, read 15,278,266 times

Advertisements

I am getting sick of hearing of this ground game every bdoy is talking about. What is "ground game"? You wanna vote? You go to your voting place and vote. It takes me less time than getting a cup of coffee at Wawa to vote. I don't need 5000 volunteers coming from out of state and staying in dorms just to show me where the voting place is.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2016, 08:25 PM

63,919 posts, read 46,748,172 times
Yeah, I don't grasp Caucus, either.

I would not mind being the fly on the wall.

Old 01-27-2016, 08:39 PM

14,221 posts, read 6,963,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyRider View Post
I am getting sick of hearing of this ground game every bdoy is talking about. What is "ground game"? You wanna vote? You go to your voting place and vote. It takes me less time than getting a cup of coffee at Wawa to vote. I don't need 5000 volunteers coming from out of state and staying in dorms just to show me where the voting place is.
If you're unlucky it can take 10 hours to vote in a caucus.

Old 01-27-2016, 08:57 PM

22,190 posts, read 19,466,581 times
Quote:
Caucus voting is something completely different than what you are use to and can take considerably more time.

Also, aside from that most of us who post on here, regardless of what side of the aisle we are on are political geeks in some shape or form so voting comes second nature. For many people it isn't quite that way. Having a strong ground game is very crucial in getting your supporters out there and voting, especially among your supporters where voting doesn't come second nature and they don't vote in every election.

Old 01-27-2016, 09:25 PM

16,569 posts, read 15,278,266 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smash255 View Post
Having a strong ground game is very crucial in getting your supporters out there and voting, especially among your supporters where voting doesn't come second nature and they don't vote in every election.
I am not being flippant. I have no idea what it means. Does it mean renting buses and going from door to door busing people in? Dems are notorious for this, especially in urban areas.

Old 01-27-2016, 09:57 PM

Quote:
I am not being flippant. I have no idea what it means. Does it mean renting buses and going from door to door busing people in? Dems are notorious for this, especially in urban areas.
That is probably more of an old school thinking of it. It is bit more complex than that. Having volunteers down to a very local level, a bunch of campaign offices around is likely going to have a more effective ground game than just a centralized call center everyone is working out of. Also with the interent and technology you can really target your outreach to voters

Old 01-27-2016, 10:05 PM

11,181 posts, read 10,534,651 times
Quote:
Iowa Caucuses: How Do They Work? - Washington Wire - WSJ
Short article that explains the process. They're somewhat like town hall meetings. Voters have to be in the right place at the right time; they can't arrive late and they can't leave early if they want their votes to count. Not every person who attends has made their mind up so there can be a lot of discussion and debate.
"Ground game" means that a campaign has resources - mainly people - in place to make sure supporters attend the caucus meetings. That means providing information, transportation, baby sitters, whatever it takes. They also have representatives at many caucuses to make speeches and circulate to try to persuade people to vote for their candidate. It requires a good organization in every precinct.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PCALMike View Post
If you're unlucky it can take 10 hours to vote in a caucus.
When we had the Texas "two-step" primary/caucus, we attended one that lasted 3 hours. It was a miserable experience. They've done away with that now.

Old 01-27-2016, 10:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by biscuitmom View Post
Iowa Caucuses: How Do They Work? - Washington Wire - WSJ
Short article that explains the process. They're somewhat like town hall meetings. Voters have to be in the right place at the right time; they can't arrive late and they can't leave early if they want their votes to count. Not every person who attends has made their mind up so there can be a lot of discussion and debate.
"Ground game" means that a campaign has resources - mainly people - in place to make sure supporters attend the caucus meetings. That means providing information, transportation, baby sitters, whatever it takes. They also have representatives at many caucuses to make speeches and circulate to try to persuade people to vote for their candidate. It requires a good organization in every precinct.
Exactly, and this is why having a ground game is so important, even more so in the Caucus states where turnout is even more crucial. Campaigns that have invested heavily in the ground game will likely see it pay off in the turnout, those that don't have a strong ground game run the risk of having problems with turnout.

This is probably one of (though certainly not the only) reason why some of the Iowa polls have varied so much and had wild swings at times, becuase a pollster figuring out who a likely voter in a Caucus is can be very difficult because there are so many factors to come into play, and a ground game is a key part of that and something that can be hard for pollsters to pick up.

Old 01-27-2016, 11:28 PM

12,372 posts, read 9,314,559 times
Quote:
Ground games are important to both parties. They have phone banks of volunteers to identify those who are likely voters in their party and to distribute yard signs. They will call likely voters on election day to make sure they got to the polls. They will offer transportation, if you need it. There is nothing illegal, unethical or unusual about candidates having a good ground game. It's an important part of the process and those without a good ground game don't do as well.

Old 01-27-2016, 11:56 PM

25,619 posts, read 36,707,101 times
Quote:
Yup that's one small part back in the day when I was an idealistic youth I work in several different local, state and Federal campaigns. I went door to door, called canvassing, manned phone banks and also drove a van to pickup people who needed a ride on election night.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections