Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-06-2016, 08:32 AM

10,075 posts, read 7,542,084 times

Advertisements

if someone supports bernie, why are they calling him anti-establishment? first, he said he would increase federal government, which would mean increasing establishment support...

one of his selling points is healthcare, the obama administration got the aca passed that he wants to expand. obama is part of the establishment... and bernie wants to be opposite of it? he can work with republicians to repeal/replace it i guess...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-06-2016, 08:35 AM

23,795 posts, read 13,261,787 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eyeb View Post
if someone supports bernie, why are they calling him anti-establishment? first, he said he would increase federal government, which would mean increasing establishment support...

one of his selling points is healthcare, the obama administration got the aca passed that he wants to expand. obama is part of the establishment... and bernie wants to be opposite of it? he can work with republicians to repeal/replace it i guess...
They mean anti-establishment as anti-Wall Street and anti-big banks. Wall Street and big banks are considered the establishment. Bernie supporters feel they are a huge part of the problems in this country, as Bernie does.

A larger question is why Trump supporters are considered anti-establishment. Trump has been pure establishment his entire life, and has used the big banks and the banking system to his advantage.

Old 02-06-2016, 08:45 AM

11,181 posts, read 10,532,733 times
"Establishment" has nothing to do with federal government spending. It's a shorthand way to label someone by associating them with a dominant or elite group that holds political power.

If you think "establishment" means politics and Washington DC, of course he's establishment. He's been in politics his entire life and in Congress for 25 years. He has no idea what it's like to live outside the political bubble.

If you think "establishment" means Democratic party establishment, of course he's not establishment. He only decided to become a Democrat last year because he wants the backing of their money and organization.

You can choose to name other groups (like unions, wall street, oil & gas) that exert powerful influence on politics. Sanders will be associated heavily with some and not at all with others.

What it boils down to is: Is Sanders part of the "establishment" you like? For some people he is, for some he's not.

Old 02-06-2016, 08:55 AM

14,221 posts, read 6,961,631 times
Quote:

He is anti-establishment because he is taking on all of the most powerful special interests and big money donor groups in the country that are ripping off working class Americans. Wall Street, the big pharma drug cartels, the military industrial complex, corporate media. The very bad anti-worker trade deals and the corrupt campaign finance system is turning the US into a country for the economic royalists while the working class suffers. Maybe people dont like all his ideas, and that's OK, but who really like everything a candidate stands for when we think about it? With Bernie Sanders, what you see is what you get. People know he is a straight shooter who knows where the problems lie, is not beholden to anyone but the people and will put up a real fight for the working class of this country.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WJaW32ZTyKE

Old 02-06-2016, 08:56 AM

79,907 posts, read 44,199,011 times
Quote:

That's not true. Do some research and then come back.

Old 02-06-2016, 08:58 AM

33,942 posts, read 22,527,236 times
Bernie supporters want a 'revolution'. And, in their eyes, how can you do that whilst being part of the problem (establishment)?

That's how I see it.

Old 02-08-2016, 08:49 PM

325 posts, read 255,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ringo1 View Post
Bernie supporters want a 'revolution'. And, in their eyes, how can you do that whilst being part of the problem (establishment)?

That's how I see it.
He realizes you have to foster change from within. He is not seeking to destroy the Establishment, but to change it fundamentally. Similar to Gorbachev's Perestroika. Except hopefully in our case our version of the KGB will not get the opportunity to return to power.

Old 02-08-2016, 09:29 PM

39,869 posts, read 26,508,031 times
Quote:
Quote:
if someone supports bernie, why are they calling him anti-establishment?
first, he said he would increase federal government, which would mean increasing establishment support...

I'll take "because they are ignorant" for 1000, Alex. Sanders has been a DC insider (congressman and senator) for over 25 years now. He is one of the most "establishment", if not the most, of any of the current candidates. Every so often he'll bleat out a few more buzzwords to appeal to his uneducated base and promise them more free shi, er crap.

Old 02-08-2016, 09:43 PM
Status: "everybody getting reported now.." (set 23 days ago)

29,556 posts, read 16,542,682 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyman at Jewel Lake View Post
I'll take "because they are ignorant" for 1000, Alex. Sanders has been a DC insider (congressman and senator) for over 25 years now. He is one of the most "establishment", if not the most, of any of the current candidates. Every so often he'll bleat out a few more buzzwords to appeal to his uneducated base and promise them more free shi, er crap.
Being in Washington doesnt make you an establishment candidate in and of itself.

My problem, and most of those on the left who have a problem with Sanders, is the argument that being part of the Establishment is wrong.

I would say the same is true of many of those on the right when speaking of their candidates, funny though

Of the people still running for President, Rubio, Carson and Fiorina are the only ones who arent a political decedent of the Reagan Administration.

Everyone else either served with in his administration, Served in His VP's administration, Served in the VP's Son's Administration(State and National), is the child of his VP.

I mean, is that not the definition of Establishment(being in the leadership/power structure) ????

Old 02-09-2016, 12:40 AM

2,334 posts, read 2,647,940 times
Quote:

I don't support Bernie, but I think "establishment" became a buzzword (with the obvious negative connotation) in the mid-'60s with Vietnam and the free love, hippie movement, Abbie Hoffman, sit-ins, etc., and I think it's a mix of big banking, big corporations, Wall Street to some extent, and Washington, D.C., to some extent, but it's always been a colloquialism.

It bothers me because I don't like to label people; even "Democrat" and "Republican" bother me, but we have to look way back to Hamilton and Jefferson to thank for that. I much prefer the word "United," as in "United States." That's what we are, after all.

ETA: Easier to read if you use capitalization.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections