Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-15-2016, 02:04 PM

17 posts, read 19,476 times

Advertisements

While I agree he can sound batty, have to wonder how many of us complaining about Trump's language sat through the cesspool of dialogue which was Two & a Half Men, making it the top-rated show that it was -- in Prime Time? 20 years ago, that show's scripts wouldn't have had a flying chance unless on cable, and Trump wouldn't have been bringing the rating$, phrasing things as he does (had he tried then), either.

Yet October 1992 seems like yesterday. "My dog Millie knows more about foreign affairs than these two bozos" (Waffler & Ozone Man, "Ozone" for short). So tame!!
Appears to me, Trump is merely taking advantage of what he knows it takes to have peoples' attention in 2016 for more than the average 5 seconds that our collective attention span allows, what with texting, twitter, and all. Still undecided, however am willing to put "how" he (or opponents who get described as "putting people to sleep") says something aside, as it's not 1992 anymore.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-15-2016, 02:05 PM

14,268 posts, read 18,938,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spartacus713 View Post
So you are openly admitting that you will refuse to support Ted Cruz because of his Christian religious beliefs.

Wow. Just wow.
I didn't see that in the other poster's comment. He said "religious agenda." Show me where in any dictionary the word "religion" is in the definition of politics. It isn't. However, candidates like Ted Cruz want to change the meaning of democracy to theocracy.

By the way, show me where the words Jesus, Christianity or even God are mentioned in the Constitution. They aren't.

Old 02-15-2016, 02:07 PM

52,431 posts, read 26,636,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldhag1 View Post
You ever watch any of the old Hitler speeches? They are eerily like a Trump rally. He blames particular demographics for the nation's woes.
What demographics has Trump specifically blamed for the USA's issues?

Old 02-15-2016, 02:15 PM

286 posts, read 150,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by daylux View Post
Cruz, Bush and Rubio have resorted to spreading absolute lies about Trump. I'm glad he's doing this to set the record straight.
No they haven't. Using Trump's own words isn't spreading lies.

Trump just can at handle it and meltdowns like today are the result.

Old 02-15-2016, 02:31 PM

37,803 posts, read 41,019,978 times
I haven't had cable since around 10:00A this morning but isn't this the first day W was supposed to campaign with his brother, Exclamation Point? Press conference is Trump stealing Exclamation Point's thunder, nothing more, nothing less.

Old 02-15-2016, 02:33 PM

46,961 posts, read 25,998,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spartacus713 View Post
So you are openly admitting that you will refuse to support Ted Cruz because of his Christian religious beliefs.

Wow. Just wow.
He said "agenda", not "beliefs". Major difference.

Old 02-15-2016, 02:45 PM

14,268 posts, read 18,938,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dane_in_LA View Post
He said "agenda", not "beliefs". Major difference.
That's what I wrote in post #73.

Here's an example:

"Any president who doesn't begin every day on his knees isn't fit to be commander in chief of this nation."

Ted Cruz, Iowa Nov 2015 during a "Kill all the Gays" convention sponsored by the National Religious Liberties Conference

Old 02-15-2016, 02:52 PM

11,755 posts, read 7,118,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justNancy View Post
"Any president who doesn't begin every day on his knees isn't fit to be commander in chief of this nation."
Upon reading this quote, Hillary responded, "Shoot, I don't want to be President then. I haven't been presidential in decades!"

Mick

Old 02-15-2016, 03:34 PM

19,573 posts, read 8,522,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldhag1 View Post
You ever watch any of the old Hitler speeches? They are eerily like a Trump rally. He blames particular demographics for the nation's woes. He promises to restore greatness to the country through negative actions towards demographics viewed suspiciously or negatively by large numbers of the major demographic. He also feeds that negative stereotype of those demographics. He preaches nationalism and promises to show the country as strong at all cost. He wants to threaten and punish other nations. His followers are almost cult like in their support and are blind to faults or decide they don't matter. He appears to embrace other demagogic, repressive world leaders.

I know, you don't see it. I do.
It really is eerily similar. Someone in a political science grad program should try to write their thesis on this, if they are allowed. It could be quite interesting to compare the two.

Old 02-15-2016, 03:35 PM

19,573 posts, read 8,522,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justNancy View Post
I didn't see that in the other poster's comment. He said "religious agenda." Show me where in any dictionary the word "religion" is in the definition of politics. It isn't. However, candidates like Ted Cruz want to change the meaning of democracy to theocracy.

By the way, show me where the words Jesus, Christianity or even God are mentioned in the Constitution. They aren't.
Cruz is not interested in a theocracy, as you surely know very well. In fact, that would not even be possible without an absolute overthrow of our existing Constitution system of government. What Cruz wants is a respect for the Constitution and a move away from the autocratic methods currently used by Barack Obama.

And don't try to pretend that you are ignorant about what a Christian president would act like in our country, as we have had literally dozens. In fact, until Barack Obama was elected, it was almost an unspoken requirement that a presidential hopeful be a Christian in order to be elected. So you know that whatever sorts of wild, 'theocracy' hypotheticals you want to try to flog, they are not based on any sort of historical merit or the facts.

At the same time, the vitriol and oftentimes hatred that many if not most Democrats have openly displayed towards Ted Cruz because of his Christian religious beliefs is offensive and shocking. If anyone was to behave this way towards a Muslim candidate for president, you people would be positively hysterical, calling whoever was doing that bigots and such.

And of course you would be entirely correct. If it is bigoted to act this way towards Muslims, it is certainly just as bigoted to act this way towards Christians. That is a fact.

If the shoe fits....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections