Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-20-2016, 08:34 PM

14,268 posts, read 18,969,888 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
In Nevada you can vote in both the Democratic Caucus and the Republican primary, and while you can register when you arrive, you can also register in advance, sorry to disappoint since I'm sure some of you were sooo very excited over this supposed illegal activity.

[url=http://www.usnews.com/news/politics/articles/2016-02-19/nevada-caucus-quirk-may-allow-gop-voters-to-vote-for-dems]Nevada caucus quirk may allow GOP voters to vote for Dems - US News[/url]

[url=http://nvdems.com/press/caucus-express-nv-dems-announce-new-online-pre-registration-tool-for-2016/]NV Dems Announce New Online Pre-Registration Tool for 2016 - NVDems[/url]
No, that's not entirely true. Sorry. They do have same day registration and a Republican can caucus for a Democrat. However, if someone is caught participating in both caucuses that person will be charged with a felony. I need to look for the post in which I stated this and posted a link.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-20-2016, 08:34 PM

42,872 posts, read 26,399,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justNancy View Post
This thread should be closed because the subject line is totally false. It was either posted to be dishonest or the person who began this thread is unaware of how the caucus in Nevada works.
Yep! But they are having so much fun getting their knickers in a bunch over a process that is completely legal, I even considered letting it go on longer before I dropped the truth bomb but decided that would be cruel.

Old 02-20-2016, 08:36 PM

Quote:
Yep! But they are having so much fun getting their knickers in a bunch over a process that is completely legal, I even considered letting it go on longer before I dropped the truth bomb but decided that would be cruel.
I know. Actually same day registration should have helped Bernie Sanders more, because he's been appealing to many first time voters. In fact, many people thought he might win because so many college students are registering for the first time.

Here's the link I mentioned in my earlier post.

[url]http://www.reviewjournal.com/politics/caucuses-2016/nevada-election-officials-watch-caucus-shenanigans[/url]

"Changing one's registration on Saturday from one party to the Democratic Party for the purposes of participating in the Democratic caucus, and then caucusing with the Republicans next week, is in our view clearly a felony and anyone doing so would be courting serious legal jeopardy," Schrager said."

So the Republicans who were hoping to caucus for Sanders (or Clinton) to affect the primary in Nevada will probably be caught. I don't know if there were any, but I'm guessing they won't show up to caucus for their Republican candidate after this announcement.

In any case, she won by a large enough margin that none of this matters at this point, except that people will continue to try to discredit Hillary Clinton every chance they get, even if it takes false rumors to do it.

Last edited by justNancy; 02-20-2016 at 08:46 PM..

Old 02-20-2016, 08:41 PM

Quote:
No, that's not true. Sorry. They do have same day registration and a Republican can caucus for a Democrat. However, if anyone is caught participating in both caucuses that person will be charged with a felony. I need to look for the post in which I stated this and posted a link.
That makes sense, but it's not the way it works in Nevada, I used to live there and I was appalled when I found that if a person does it, they might not be able to be a delegate, but there has never been any criminal action taken and it's done frequently and openly.

The Nevada secretary of state said in a statement Friday said it was monitoring the situation, saying in part: “(I)t is a concern that a registered voter in Nevada might participate in both caucuses. Those voters suspected of participating in both caucuses will be reported to both major political parties and may be subject to challenge and disqualification from further participation in the nominating process.”

Registration quirk may let Nevada Republicans vote in Democratic caucus | US news | The Guardian

From the same source, Dem's think it could be a felony while Republicans think it's legal and at least one Republican group encourages it's members to do it:

"Nevada state democratic party chair Roberta Lange also issued a statement Friday calling the move voter fraud, and threatening legal action against anyone who votes in both contests. “After reviewing Nevada law, we believe that registering under false pretenses in order to participate in the Democratic caucuses for purposes of manipulating the presidential nominating process is a felony,” Lange said. The Nevada Republican party couldn’t immediately be reached for comment, but some noted young Republicans have disagreed publicly about the matter. Calling the Democrats’ “misstep” an opportunity to capitalize on, Miranda Hoover – the president of the University of Nevada Reno College Republicans – on Thursday issued a statement saying that the student group had told its membership that they’re allowed to vote in both contests. “Asking individuals to participate in both is not a normal activity but it is also not illegal; nobody will get arrested,” Hoover said, adding that she isn’t “endorsing or demeaning” the idea. Hoover couldn’t immediately be reached for comment."

Nevada is just plain weird

Old 02-20-2016, 08:45 PM

Quote:
I know. Same day registration actually should have helped Bernie Sanders more, because he's been appealing to many first time voters.

Here's the link I mentioned in my earlier post.

Nevada election officials watch for caucus shenanigans | Las Vegas Review-Journal

"Changing one's registration on Saturday from one party to the Democratic Party for the purposes of participating in the Democratic caucus, and then caucusing with the Republicans next week, is in our view clearly a felony and anyone doing so would be courting serious legal jeopardy," Schrager said."

So the Republicans who were hoping to caucus for Sanders to affect the primary in Nevada will probably be caught. I don't know if there were any, but I'm guessing they won't show up to caucus for their Republican candidate after this announcement.
When I caucused in 2008 and 2012, we knew Republicans were caucusing with us, and we even asked a few local attorney's who were at the caucus and they said "the problem is proving they registered fraudulently, it's impossible to do unless they admit to fraud publicly and the AG won't define it so no one will touch it."

Old 02-20-2016, 08:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by epliny View Post
Six coin tosses for the win .. now this.
I just caught this "Coin Toss" remark. Another false rumor to discredit Hillary the same way for years we've been told Obama was not a "legitimate" President.

Bernie Sanders got his share of coin tosses in Iowa. Coin tosses have been used for many years in Iowa whenever there's a tie. Out of the 1,681 precincts, about 14 of them used a coin. It was dropped in front of a group of people who caucused for both candidates, Sanders and Clinton. He got 6 or 7. I can't remember at this point, but it's already been discussed many times and the whole "she won by a coin toss" story has been debunked by many reputable sources. Let it go.
Quote:
When I caucused in 2008 and 2012, we knew Republicans were caucusing with us, and we even asked a few local attorney's who were at the caucus and they said "the problem is proving they registered fraudulently, it's impossible to do unless they admit to fraud publicly and the AG won't define it so no one will touch it."
I guess this time they're going to keep track, although it might be difficult. Thanks, I never voted in a state that had a caucus.

Old 02-20-2016, 09:01 PM

17,468 posts, read 12,964,672 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southward bound View Post
And once people understand that the Democrat party has rigged the system with their super delegates, they'll see that the party has ensured a desired predetermined outcome, and has no interest in allowing the voice of the people to be heard or respected.

It's a good example of how unDemocratic Democrats are.
Do you the voters are paying attention enough to notice.....they seem to only be thinking about all the free stuff and what about me.

Old 02-20-2016, 09:03 PM

Quote:
I just caught this "Coin Toss" remark. Another false rumor to discredit Hillary the same way for years we've been told Obama was not a "legitimate" President.
Bernie Sanders got his share of coin tosses in Iowa. Coin tosses have been used for many years in Iowa whenever there's a tie. Out of the 1,681 precincts, about 14 of them used a coin. It was dropped in front of a group of people who caucused for both candidates, Sanders and Clinton. He got 6 or 7. I can't remember at this point, but it's already been discussed many times and the whole "she won by a coin toss" story has been debunked by many reputable sources. Let it go.
Funny how R's are jumping on absolute nonsense and D's aren't obsessing over the shenanigans Cruz has pulled, looks like one party in particular is very worried this election cycle

Old 02-20-2016, 09:15 PM

21,201 posts, read 19,821,421 times
I wouldn't expect any less of Democrats than that they be corrupt.

Old 02-20-2016, 09:25 PM

11,181 posts, read 10,555,348 times
Here's what voteforbernie.org told his supporters to do, maybe Hillary's supporters did the same?

Quote:
If you’re not registered as a Democrat, register online here (Recommended but optional – can be done at caucus)
Pre-register for the caucus to “Walk right in” and skip the lines!
ID is not required for any step in the caucus or registration process!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections