Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Will Donald trump destroy the Republican Party?
Yes 69 42.33%
No 94 57.67%
Voters: 163. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-01-2016, 05:56 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,183,567 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clark Park View Post
I can't agree with that statement.

I have traveled widely over the span of 40 years to nearly a hundred countries on six continents. I've been to a lot of Third World Countries - and I assure you the USA is not one of them.
It's always fun when an American who has plenty of time to kick back and post on the internet, (because they aren't walking behind a water buffalo plowing a rice paddy or begging for scraps to feed their child) starts talking about third world conditions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-02-2016, 11:16 AM

5,705 posts, read 3,672,549 times
“President Trump, which I don’t believe is possible, would be an unmitigated disaster and would set the party back decades,” said Mike Murphy, a longtime Republican strategist...

http://mobile.nytimes.com/2016/03/02...tion.html?_r=0

I guess I understand why rage is blind now. Wow! I mean I knew he would burn the party to the ground but to watch it happen is still amazing.

Old 03-02-2016, 11:28 AM

39,232 posts, read 27,611,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by biggunsmallbrains View Post
Personally, I think that if Donald Trump becomes a Republican nominee you're going to see stuff happening to the Republican Party that you've only read about in 19th-century American history class. There will be internal warfare like nothing we've seen since the Whig's (another conservative party) imploded before the civil war.
The Republican Party will still be around, probably, but severely weakened and discreditted to the point that another conservative party could come along to replace or challenge them.

What irony that the Republican Party was formed to abolish slavery and defeat the south and now the south, on super Tuesday, has a chance to destroy the Republican Party once and for all, by a New York billionaire nonetheless
I am almost certain that the Republican Party is broken and needs a serious awakening and reform. Not sure of what action needs to take.

Trump offers a different voice, he might lead the party to a better future because like he said, the party is a dynamic party.

Old 03-02-2016, 11:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilyflower3191981 View Post
I am almost certain that the Republican Party is broken and needs a serious awakening and reform. Not sure of what action needs to take.

Trump offers a different voice, he might lead the party to a better future because like he said, the party is a dynamic party.
Well I'll wholeheartedly agree with that sentiment. And Trump will be the perfect candidate to tear the party down to the ground. The problem for you and all other Republicans is when he has to rebuild the party.

Old 03-02-2016, 11:52 AM

18,983 posts, read 9,078,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by biggunsmallbrains View Post
Well I'll wholeheartedly agree with that sentiment. And Trump will be the perfect candidate to tear the party down to the ground. The problem for you and all other Republicans is when he has to rebuild the party.
That is the problem facing the GOP right now.

The Die-Hard Republicans Who Say #NeverTrump

Quote:
"Over the past week, as it’s begun to sink in that -- no foolin’ -- Donald Trump might really be the nominee, I began to notice a trend among family and friends who are stalwart Republicans. These are people who consistently vote, and consistently vote (R) straight down the line. And they are tortured because they cannot bring themselves to vote for the Republican nominee this year, if the Republican nominee is Trump."
The Die-Hard Republicans Who Say #NeverTrump - Bloomberg View

Even on C-D there are die-hard Republicans saying that a Trump nominee will force them to vote for Hillary, whom they loathe.

It's hard to imagine what the GOP would look like after a Trump candidacy.

Old 03-02-2016, 12:01 PM

Obviously a lot of these people voting for Trump are in a blind rage. The problem is is they think they're voting to elect a dictator. And as powerful as the president is, there's still a little thing called our constitution that limits his powers.

Old 03-02-2016, 12:13 PM

7,840 posts, read 9,202,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnywhereElse View Post
You forget, we are living in the present, not in the past. The Republican Party will have a kick in the pants to start evolving with the rest of the world if Trump is the nominee. Isn't it about time.

I don't think you really understand the real time issues and are basing things on something from textbooks. We, as Americans, have the same basic needs. We are watching our country slide into 3rd world status and have become the doormat of the world. Labels do not matter anymore. What matters is acknowledging the issues, which only Trump is doing, and introducing possible solutions which Trump is doing.

I have lived all over the country to include 3 southern states and, frankly, I don't have a clue what you are talking about. Trump is bringing Americans from all demographics together with a common goal, we want to save the country.

Trump shines when it comes to job creation. He has the issues broken into building blocks that will work together to Make America Great Again.

Let's stop using labels and all get on board with saving our country!
ROTFLMAO!!! What happened to all the people who used to work for him each time he went bankrupt?

Old 03-02-2016, 12:16 PM

9,911 posts, read 7,702,289 times
Trump is guaranteed the win if Hillary wins as the Democratic candiate

Old 03-02-2016, 12:17 PM

17,344 posts, read 11,285,635 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Linda_d View Post
ROTFLMAO!!! What happened to all the people who used to work for him each time he went bankrupt?
He has many companies. They simply transfer to another one. He personally has never gone bankrupt and the vast majority of the companies he owns are successful. You left that little part out for some reason.

Old 03-02-2016, 12:24 PM

13,511 posts, read 17,038,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
The agreement was signed by Bush, but the treaty was subsequently submitted to Congress, approved and signed by Clinton. There is plenty of blame/credit for both sides.
Right. Can we all just accept the fact that mainstream Republicans and Democrats care more about pleasing wall st than American workers and move away from the partisan crap on economic issues? There's little to no difference between Reagan, Bush I, Clinton, Bush II, Obama, and Clinton II on economics. They do what big business wants.

The problem with the "moderates" in both parties is that they are all in bed with big business. It's the fringes on both side that aren't.

This is the real reason why Trump is gaining traction. It's not the "stupid ultra bigots" that the left wants you to think, and it's no the "conservative in wolves clothing" that the right wants you to think. Illegal immigration is bad for working people. Trumps rhetoric is vehemently opposed to it. H1bs are bad for middle class people. Trump says he's opposed to increasing them. Trump has been moderate on things like abortion. He's not a holy roller.

These things are all basically populist positions.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections