Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-07-2016, 01:29 PM

3,930 posts, read 2,097,931 times

Advertisements

They can have them all.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-07-2016, 01:35 PM

34,300 posts, read 15,652,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by residinghere2007 View Post
FWIW, Ohio is a closed primary state. I live in OH and I am an independent. Due to that, if I say, when I go to the poll that I am an independent, then I will not get to vote in either primary.

In order to vote in the primary, many here in OH think they need to be registered to a particular party. You actually don't, you just tell the poll workers your party affiliation. When I go to the polls on the 15th, I'm going to tell them I'm a Republican and I'm going to vote for Kasich in an effort for Trump not to win our state's delegates. I know a lot of Democrats who want to do the same and many of them believe they need to do an official change via the county in order to do this.

So, I don't doubt there are many Democrats in Mahoning County who are planning to vote for Trump but there are many more, I'm sure, who want to vote for another GOP candidate in an effort to stop him from winning here. So you have to look at what is occurring there both ways.

ETA: There are a lot of us independents here in OH who are planning on voting in the GOP primary against Trump. We'll see how it turns out.

So anyway you look at it Trump is bringing people out and creating an interest. When the voting is done in the general election we will know what the real effect was. Those Sanders supporters will go somewhere too. They don't care for Hillary and many won't vote for her either. Some will crossover but how many is unknown.

Old 03-07-2016, 01:50 PM

16,212 posts, read 10,823,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phma View Post
So anyway you look at it Trump is bringing people out and creating an interest. When the voting is done in the general election we will know what the real effect was. Those Sanders supporters will go somewhere too. They don't care for Hillary and many won't vote for her either. Some will crossover but how many is unknown.
True he is creating an interest, but not for me.

I actually don't like him and would prefer him to not get the opportunity to be the nominee. FWIW, since I am a "no party" registered voter, I always just vote in the "uglier" primary lol. Usually it is the Republican Primary.

In regards to the Hillary and Bernie and the Democrats....if Trump wins the nomination, I would bet money that the Democrats will vote for Hillary over Trump. All this stuff will soon be forgotten but I really would rather Kasich be the nominee. He has the most experience and is the most moderate and if the GOP weren't so star struck on Trump, they would see that. Kasich is much better than Romney on conservative issues and would easily get the support of conservatives and he has an appeal to those like me who are moderate independents being that he works across the aisle. He also is well liked by minorities in Ohio and that would play well for the party after all this Mexicans-are-rapist, beat-up-black-people-at-rallies, deport-Muslims, build-a-wall talk from Trump.

Old 03-07-2016, 01:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eye state your name View Post
Exactly! This is the most irritating and frustrating part of this entire election. Trump should have run as the democrat he really is. I assume that he didn't because he knew he wouldn't make it past the primary against the Clinton machine.
You have no one to blame but your own party. They let him run as a Republican. WhY didn't they stop him months ago ? The party of personal responsibility needs to take responsibility and not blame Trump. No wonder people believe him when he says we have stupid leaders. He got the best of you and the party. According to you in your own words. He out smarted the career politicians his first time at bat.

Old 03-07-2016, 01:54 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,739,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldhag1 View Post
Yes, my party is being hijacked. I would have had far less issues with Trump had he ran as a Democrat or the Independent that he is. Not that any of us know what he actually stands for, after all he is according to his own words very flexible.
and I think being able to switch at the last minute is awful. When I first registered to vote we had to be registered at least 90 days before the election. OK, that might be a little long, but to me switching in the last 30 days is just as bad as cross over voting.

Old 03-07-2016, 01:57 PM

988 posts, read 682,880 times
I said it before and I'll say it again, Trump is not the guy that Hillary wants to face. Neither is Kasich. Cruz is the guy she wants.

Old 03-07-2016, 02:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BOS2IAD View Post
Do you consider Rubio to be a true republican? If so, then why? Does being a true republican mean wanting amnesty for illegals and wanting increases in H1-B visas, even though that visa program has been corrupted to the point where it is being used to displace Americans and replace them with H1-Bs?

After the '12 election, the RNC called our house and asked us to become members. I told them that as long as they support amnesty, they won't get a cent from me. The man on the phone said to me that I wasn't the first one to say that.
ok, you didn't ask me but I will answer; do I consider Rubio a true conservative? Compared to Cruz, no, compared Trump Rubio is much more conservative. How are so many being taken in by Trump? If will serve his supporters right if he wins and his ideas all implode, but it hurt our country. That is the sad part.

I do not vote on one issue, obviously some do. I am not in favor of full amnesty but I am realistic and humane enough to know there are exceptions. As for H1-Bs, as I have said before, what is the differenc in that and our companies sending people to other countries to work?

Old 03-07-2016, 02:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mircea View Post
Your party was hijacked by George Herbert Bush in 1988.
bull S: how quick we forget or just you, he was VP for 8 years. Not all Republicans are conservatives, but Trump is no Republican period.

Old 03-07-2016, 02:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by residinghere2007 View Post
True he is creating an interest, but not for me.

I actually don't like him and would prefer him to not get the opportunity to be the nominee. FWIW, since I am a "no party" registered voter, I always just vote in the "uglier" primary lol. Usually it is the Republican Primary.

In regards to the Hillary and Bernie and the Democrats....if Trump wins the nomination, I would bet money that the Democrats will vote for Hillary over Trump. All this stuff will soon be forgotten but I really would rather Kasich be the nominee. He has the most experience and is the most moderate and if the GOP weren't so star struck on Trump, they would see that. Kasich is much better than Romney on conservative issues and would easily get the support of conservatives and he has an appeal to those like me who are moderate independents being that he works across the aisle. He also is well liked by minorities in Ohio and that would play well for the party after all this Mexicans-are-rapist, beat-up-black-people-at-rallies, deport-Muslims, build-a-wall talk from Trump.
In bold : It's just seeing what you want to see. There is a lot of that on both sides. Both parties have the I want an outsider this election element. Kasich gets no traction there.

As far as your prediction about who Sanders supporters will vote for. It is just that, a prediction, and those who have made them don't have a good track record so far. When the election is over we will know but it's like closing the barn door after the horse is out.

Old 03-07-2016, 02:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
and I think being able to switch at the last minute is awful. When I first registered to vote we had to be registered at least 90 days before the election. OK, that might be a little long, but to me switching in the last 30 days is just as bad as cross over voting.
Yeah, free choice is awful !!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections