Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-02-2016, 01:07 PM

991 posts, read 1,109,959 times

Advertisements

This seems to be the theme of stories coming out of the Super Tuesday primaries. My question is why are so many Republican voters so angry? Our economy is pretty robust, and we have a great quality of life here in the US. Unemployment is low. We don't have any shortages of anything. Credit/financing is widely available. Education is readily available and if chosen wisely...cheap (yes it's true: you can get a degree that leads to a high paying job in STEM, IT, Finance, Insurance/Actuarial Science, or Accounting from a state school for less than a year's worth of salary in one of those occupations). What are people so angry about that they cannot seem to remedy themselves? Do they think Donald Trump will really solve all of their problems?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-02-2016, 01:47 PM

15,088 posts, read 13,447,778 times
They're angry because it's not just white male America at the power table like it used to be.

Old 03-02-2016, 01:56 PM

21,096 posts, read 19,701,602 times
As if Hillary and Sanders aren't angry. Have you watched any of their speeches?

Old 03-02-2016, 01:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retroit View Post
As if Hillary and Sanders aren't angry. Have you watched any of their speeches?
I don't really have any interest in the Democrats. I don't support them.

Old 03-02-2016, 02:07 PM

6,811 posts, read 6,944,732 times
I'm not speaking for everyone - but I've gone beyond the point of being angry, and am just disgusted with the politicians we have today. They don't seem to care what their constituents want. The planned sabotage of Trump is a perfect example. When the majority of voters are sending clear signals of what issues are important to them, the establishment wants to spit in their eye and choose the person THEY decide is best.

I've tried to post this link in a previous thread, and it got closed for some reason. I'm going to try again, because to me - it is right on point, and may answer your question as to why some Republicans are so angry.

Trump and the Rise of the Unprotected - WSJ

Old 03-02-2016, 02:12 PM

I don't think you can link those in CD - particularly if it's paywalled.

Old 03-02-2016, 02:18 PM

11,974 posts, read 25,470,414 times
A lot of the frustration is over GOP controlling nearly every branch of govt from local to fed level but not the most important: the White House and Supreme Court. Despite controlling all but 2 branches you get gay marriage, refugees coming, Iran Deal, Cuba Deal, closing Gitmo, etc. There is legit criticism that Obama uses too many executive actions to go around R controlled govt which is not what the constitution says.

Many GOP people I know blame this on their R politicians being too moderate and willing to compromise. Therefore they are electing more extreme candidates in the primaries. They also blame the losses of McCain and Romney to both being too mainstream. The reality is both losses are due to the GOP's problem with non White voters.

Old 03-02-2016, 02:22 PM
mm4

5,711 posts, read 3,977,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by censusdata View Post
Many GOP people I know blame this on their R politicians being too moderate and willing to compromise.
A lot of them are blackmailed (i.e., compromised).

Old 03-02-2016, 02:32 PM

42,732 posts, read 29,870,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ambient View Post
They're angry because it's not just white male America at the power table like it used to be.
I think it's more than that.

I think they feel disenfranchised. They vote, they elect people, the people they elect try to get things passed, and yet they are blocked, not just by the opposition party, but by their own party. Because they have been voting for Republicans, Republicans have the majority in both houses, and still, the things they want are still not getting done. So it's not just Democrats that are against them, it's members of their own party. And they feel betrayed, and they are frustrated, and they are angry. This country was supposed to represent them, and it isn't doing that anymore. They know the demographics have shifted, they know the world is changing, but it's like it's changing without them, they are being left behind. When you used to be the majority, the people who decided how change was going to happen, and then you aren't, it would make anyone angry.

Old 03-02-2016, 02:48 PM

23,972 posts, read 15,072,142 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by censusdata View Post
A lot of the frustration is over GOP controlling nearly every branch of govt from local to fed level but not the most important: the White House and Supreme Court. Despite controlling all but 2 branches you get gay marriage, refugees coming, Iran Deal, Cuba Deal, closing Gitmo, etc. There is legit criticism that Obama uses too many executive actions to go around R controlled govt which is not what the constitution says.

Many GOP people I know blame this on their R politicians being too moderate and willing to compromise. Therefore they are electing more extreme candidates in the primaries. They also blame the losses of McCain and Romney to both being too mainstream. The reality is both losses are due to the GOP's problem with non White voters.
The anger is coming out in the POTUS election.

IMO, that is the wrong place. Every incumbent House member in my very red state won their primary or is unopposed.

If people do not like the way the country is headed, they should not re elect anybody.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections