Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-11-2016, 03:55 PM

8,975 posts, read 10,215,820 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dexter75 View Post
Yet Cruz does much better against Hillary in every, single general election poll and he has a better favorable/unfavorable rating than Trump....
Yeah because we all know how reliable polls are ... just ask Hillary about Michigan or Trump about Iowa.

And I've yet to meet anyone under age 30 who would consider Ted Cruz. And I'm not living in some liberal utopia either. Many who plan to vote for Trump, but none who would vote for Cruz.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-11-2016, 04:01 PM

5,381 posts, read 2,841,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluefox View Post
Yeah because we all know how reliable polls are ... just ask Hillary about Michigan or Trump about Iowa.

And I've yet to meet anyone under age 30 who would consider Ted Cruz. And I'm not living in some liberal utopia either. Many who plan to vote for Trump, but none who would vote for Cruz.

Well, then. What are we all doing here. I'm gonna need you to call Cruz and let him know that okay, that'd be great.

Old 03-11-2016, 04:05 PM

1,166 posts, read 755,510 times
Quote:

In my circle of friends, who are mostly moderate Republicans or Libertarians, not a single one would consider voting for Cruz. He is exactly what a lot of people feel is wrong about the GOP today, a smooth talking lying politician bought and paid for by special interests with his Dominionist Christianity thrown into the mix. He appeals only to a small slice of the GOP base, him beating Hillary in the general election is wishful thinking of the "unskew the polls" variety. Anyone that thinks Cruz has a chance to become President needs to step out of the echo chamber and unplug from talk radio for awhile. The Bible thumping mission from God stuff alone is a huge turnoff for anyone that is not a fundamentalist evangelical.

If Trump loses at least the GOP can dismiss it as a one off - if we had only nominated a true conservative yada yada. If Cruz loses a general election, it can only be described as a crushing blow to conservatism as a viable political philosophy in the United States.

Old 03-11-2016, 04:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eye state your name View Post
Well, then. What are we all doing here. I'm gonna need you to call Cruz and let him know that okay, that'd be great.
It's Politics 101 that you have to build a broad coalition of supporters that, to a large extent, spans diverse demographic groups, if you want to win an election. Cruz hasn't even endeared himself to his core group of supporters, evangelical Christians. I can see the libertarian aspects of his policies having some appeal among Republicans in the western states, but his views on social issues are simply far too dated to have a very wide appeal to Americans in 2016 and even his core supporters have rejected him in favor of Trump, who is actually way more middle of the pack on certain issues than Cruz.

Old 03-11-2016, 04:11 PM

19,573 posts, read 8,522,211 times
Why is it that a significant majority of the biggest trolls that are currently active this board are all Donald Trump supporters. Can anyone explain that to me?

Old 03-11-2016, 04:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spartacus713 View Post
Why is it that a significant majority of the biggest trolls that are currently active this board are all Donald Trump supporters. Can anyone explain that to me?
Are you saying I'm a troll? I've been posting on this site for nearly seven years. And I'm not a Trump supporter, I'm still quite undecided. I do, however, think Cruz is by far the most undesirable candidate remaining of any of them.

Old 03-11-2016, 04:28 PM

1,020 posts, read 1,377,700 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post
Even if he gets through the primaries, how is this Ted Cruz supposed to win the General Election? And why didn't this come out before the debate?

"While Ted Cruz proudly proclaims he is an Evangelical Christian, his campaign takes pains to hide the truth that Cruz and his pastor father, Rafael Cruz are Pentecostal Christians, a fact further hidden by having Ted and Heidi Cruz’s belong to the congregation of First Baptist Church, a Southern Baptist church in Houston, as their home church... Rafael Cruz is a pastor with Purifying Fire International Ministry, although in January 2014, as Ted Cruz was preparing his presidential swing, Rafael Cruz scrapped the group’s website after various blogs began identifying the ministry as rooted in “a radical Christian ideology known as Dominionism or Christian Reconstructionism.” Dominionism calls on anointed Christian leaders to take over government to make the laws of the nation in accordance with Biblical laws. Rafael Cruz, at the Pastor Larry Huch’s New Beginnings mega-church in Bedford Texas, outside Dallas, on Aug. 26, 2012, in a Dominionist sermon proclaimed his son, Ted Cruz, to be the “anointed one,” a Dominionist Messiah who would bring God’s law to reign."

Ted Cruz: Closet Pentecostal | East Orlando Post
That rivals Romney's Planet Kolob!

Old 03-11-2016, 04:29 PM

19,573 posts, read 8,522,211 times
Quote:
Are you saying I'm a troll? I've been posting on this site for nearly seven years. And I'm not a Trump supporter, I'm still quite undecided. I do, however, think Cruz is by far the most undesirable candidate remaining of any of them.
No, in fact I had not read your post until just now. It is a reasonable anti-Cruz post (I am a Cruz supporter), of the sort that I do NOT generally expect to see from Donald Trump supporters. Low and behold, you say you are not a Trump supporter, so that is not inconsistent with my hypothesis.

If your previous post is any indication of your regular posting tone and style, you seem like someone who I would expect to be able to have a reasonable discussion with, and then at the end of the day we would very possibly just agree to disagree.

I was speaking about a number of other posters in this thread and elsewhere in this forum, Donald Trump supporters, who are pretty consistently near the top of the list of the rudest, the slimiest, the most consistently dishonest, the most bigoted, trollish posters I have ever encountered on the internet. Birds of a feather, I guess.

Old 03-11-2016, 04:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spartacus713 View Post
No, in fact I had not read your post until just now. It is a reasonable anti-Cruz post (I am a Cruz supporter), of the sort that I do NOT generally expect to see from Donald Trump supporters. Low and behold, you say you are not a Trump supporter, so that is not inconsistent with my hypothesis.

If your previous post is any indication of your regular posting tone and style, you seem like someone who I would expect to be able to have a reasonable discussion with, and then at the end of the day we would very possibly just agree to disagree.

I was speaking about a number of other posters in this thread and elsewhere in this forum, Donald Trump supporters, who are pretty consistently near the top of the list of the rudest, the slimiest, the most consistently dishonest, trollish posters I have ever encountered on the internet. Birds of a feather, I guess.
Oh, okay fair enough. I just didn't know if you were referencing my post since it immediately preceded yours.

Old 03-11-2016, 04:34 PM

5,994 posts, read 3,734,817 times
Quote:
You're a "troll" because you have views that differ from his.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections