Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-01-2016, 07:33 AM

37,803 posts, read 41,013,481 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post
Isn't there a deadline to get on a General Election ballot? Is it before or after the GOP convention?
Yikes, I hate to respond to myself but it has to be after but don't third party candidates have to get signatures or something?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-01-2016, 07:38 AM

4,584 posts, read 4,196,740 times
Quote:
Isn't there a deadline to get on a General Election ballot? Is it before or after the GOP convention?
I would think around the same time since the GOP may not know who their real "candidate" is until they screw Trump out of the nomination.

Old 04-01-2016, 07:50 AM

20,126 posts, read 16,159,824 times
Quote:
Quote:
Yikes, I hate to respond to myself but it has to be after but don't third party candidates have to get signatures or something?
It all depends on the state. Some are fairly easy to get on, some are fairly complex. This site explains it better than I ever could.

Ballot access for presidential candidates

Old 04-01-2016, 12:16 PM

13,933 posts, read 12,896,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by leftee View Post
I would think around the same time since the GOP may not know who their real "candidate" is until they screw Trump out of the nomination.
Trump isn't gonna be screwed out of the nomination. You have to win with an absolute majority of the delegates, that's all there is to it. We can't allow a minority of voters / delegates dictate who the nominee is going to be, so if you want to win, then win, but this complaining about the rules is weak tea.

Old 04-01-2016, 12:26 PM

9,576 posts, read 7,334,337 times
Quote:
Like Oldhag1 mentioned, it's a state by state thing, but you can just write anybody's name in on the ballot for the Presidential Election this November. Nobody is stopping you from doing that, sure it's a little more work and not as convenient as having the name officially on the ballot, but that's why they have that write in line. If Trump or Bernie isn't on the ballot, just write them in, but make sure you can spell their names right! i would imagine people like Mickey Mouse and Ronald McDonald get thousands of votes for President every 4 years.

Old 04-01-2016, 12:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjseliga View Post
Like Oldhag1 mentioned, it's a state by state thing, but you can just write anybody's name in on the ballot for the Presidential Election this November. If Trump or Bernie isn't on the ballot, just write them in, but make sure you can spell their names right! i would imagine people like Mickey Mouse and Ronald McDonald get thousands of votes for President every 4 years.
Important to note, is that if you follow this^^^ person's advice, you are completely wasting your vote.

Old 04-01-2016, 12:35 PM

9,576 posts, read 7,334,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhipperSnapper 88 View Post
Important to note, is that if you follow this^^^ person's advice, you are completely wasting your vote.
Some could say, no matter how you vote, be it for Bernie, Trump, Hillary or Ted, you are wasting your vote!

Old 04-01-2016, 12:55 PM

18,983 posts, read 9,075,608 times
Quote:
Like Oldhag1 mentioned, it's a state by state thing, but you can just write anybody's name in on the ballot for the Presidential Election this November. Nobody is stopping you from doing that, sure it's a little more work and not as convenient as having the name officially on the ballot, but that's why they have that write in line. If Trump or Bernie isn't on the ballot, just write them in, but make sure you can spell their names right! i would imagine people like Mickey Mouse and Ronald McDonald get thousands of votes for President every 4 years.
If I had to choose between Mickey Mouse and Donald Trump, I'd go with Mickey. He's less cartoonish than Trump.

Old 04-01-2016, 01:10 PM

20,126 posts, read 16,159,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhipperSnapper 88 View Post
If Trump is the GOP nominee I'll be wasting my vote, by your definition. I haven't missed an election since I started voting and I'm not going to start now so I have to choose someone. At one point I was saying someone would have to put a gun to my head to make me vote for Trump, I'm not even sure that would motivate me enough to vote for him now. Bernie is a commie-lite so no way I'm voting for him and while Hillary doesn't have as partisan of a skew as Bernie, I would just rather not have to say I voted for her. So I will probably choose a 3rd Party candidate, most likely the Libertarian. However, if it's close in my state and I think Hillary needs votes to beat Trump I would force myself to vote for her - blah....

Of all the candidates left Kasich is who I would willingly vote for, but I can hold my nose tight enough to vote for Cruz if he ends up the nominee.

Old 04-01-2016, 02:18 PM

Quote:
Some could say, no matter how you vote, be it for Bernie, Trump, Hillary or Ted, you are wasting your vote!
Yeah, that might be something people say rhetorically, but if you cast your vote for anyone other than the Republican nominee or the Democratic nominee, you will literally bewasting your vote. You'll cast it knowing that the person you're voting for has no chance of actually becoming president. It will be a symbolic vote.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections