Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-06-2016, 07:41 AM

4,504 posts, read 3,031,329 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldhag1 View Post
I think there is a very real possibility that they would take Hillary before Trump.

lol. Delusion at its best.

Quote:
Originally Posted by xray731 View Post
Whether Trump ran third party of not - the Republicans don't have a chance to win if he's not the nominee. I don't care what the polls say - there are more Trump supporters than those registered as Republicans. Just as Bernie has support outside the Democrat party. Disgruntled Americans do not belong to only one party!
The fact that Trump is ahead proves nobody gives a rip about the Republican party anymore. It's the problem, not the solution. It needs to go down in flames.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-06-2016, 07:43 AM

18,983 posts, read 9,075,608 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MyNameIsBellaMia View Post
The fact that Trump is ahead proves nobody gives a rip about the Republican party anymore. It's the problem, not the solution. It needs to go down in flames.
Win or lose, Trump is doing his best to ensure that.

Old 04-06-2016, 08:00 AM

5,273 posts, read 14,546,807 times
The point I was trying to make (but failed) is that not only might the US House of Representatives decide our next President but in spite of a Republican majority there a Democrat could still come out victorious if both Cruz and Trump are in the top 3 electoral vote getters. Especially if it's Clinton, but less likely if it's Bernie. I find that fascinating. It could be the wildest finish to a Presidential race in our history.

Old 04-06-2016, 09:21 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,756,288 times
Quote:
Whether Trump ran third party of not - the Republicans don't have a chance to win if he's not the nominee. I don't care what the polls say - there are more Trump supporters than those registered as Republicans. Just as Bernie has support outside the Democrat party. Disgruntled Americans do not belong to only one party!
They probably have less chance to win if he is the nominee. Add to that, if he becomes the candidate the Republicans stand a huge possibility of losing both houses. I would like to see something positive come out of this whole mess. The part so many are not understanding, Trump does his best in open primaries, showing the Republicans basically are not behind him. This is shown right here, by the number of Trump supporters who admit to always voting for candidates of other parties in the past. There are a few who post here often, who are genuine conservative Republicans.

Old 04-06-2016, 09:30 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,756,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BLAZER PROPHET View Post
For the sake of argument, let us say Clinton & Cruz are their party's nominees.

Let us further say both Bernie & Trump run as third party candidates and between them carry 4 or 5 states such that neither Clinton or Trump claim a majority of electoral votes. This sends the top 3 electoral vote getters into the US House of Representatives to determine the election.

Would the Republicans support Trump? Would the Democrats support Bernie (many do not support him for President)?

If the top 3 are Clinton, Trump & Bernie, will the split in Democrats clearly give it to Trump, or will a Trump, Cruz & Clinton split the GOP and hand it to Clinton?

Good times ahead, good times.
Though this happening is a long shot, it is an interesting topic of discussion.

Old 04-06-2016, 12:33 PM

8,418 posts, read 7,417,538 times
OK, wrap your heads around this....

The election of the President and Vice President is defined in the U.S. Constitution in Article 2, Section 3, in the 12th Amendment, and in the 20th Amendment.

If no presidential candidate receives a majority of votes from the Electors, then top three vote-getting candidates are thrown into an election conducted by the new U.S House of representatives, with each State having one vote, for a total of 50 votes to be cast. Each state vote is decided by the representatives from that state. So California's 43 representatives get one vote and Wyoming's 1 representative gets one vote. My crystal ball is in the shop for repairs, but I'd wager that in the next Congress the Republicans will have majorities the state delegations in the House, so the House Republicans would get to pick the next president - either Trump, Cruz, or Clinton for President (I'm counting Sanders out, as he's never mentioned a third party run). And I'd bet my last dollar that the House Republicans aren't going to elect Clinton.

The really interesting thing is that if the House Republicans split on Trump or Cruz, then the 20th amendment allows for the Vice President to become acting President. And the Vice President is picked by the Senate, which may be in Democratic hands in 2017 - something that the Republican House would absolutely abhor (Vice President Bernie Sanders? Vice President Elizabeth Warren?) But assuming that the Senate remains in Republican control, then the running mate of either Trump or Cruz may become the acting President. In a race with a very strong independent challenger, the VP pick becomes incredibly important.

But the really, really interesting thing is that if the House of Representatives cannot decide between Trump and Cruz for the Presidency and the Senate cannot decide between Trump's and Cruz's running mates for the Vice Presidency, then those two chambers get to pick any one they want to be the acting President and acting Vice President, per Section 3 of the 20th Amendment.

Taking Blazer Prophet's musing out to the extreme edges, we could have an election for the office of the President of the United States and wind up with an acting President who wasn't even on the ballot!

Old 04-06-2016, 05:27 PM

13,933 posts, read 12,896,363 times
Quote:
Whether Trump ran third party of not - the Republicans don't have a chance to win if he's not the nominee.
The way I see it, they don't have a chance to win if he is the nominee, so we may as well lose with a nominee who is actually worthy of becoming the President if we're going to lose either way.
Quote:
I don't care what the polls say - there are more Trump supporters than those registered as Republicans.
Trump supporters are good at making up their own reality when they don't like the real one, so your refusal to believe that Trump is pretty much universally disliked isn't all that surprising to me.

Furthermore, I think it's foolhardy to believe that there are actually enough disaffected Democrats who would cross over and vote for Trump, to actually make a difference. Not only that, but what about all the party loyalists like myself, who will refuse to vote for Trump if he's the nominee? Which do you think is greater, the number of Democrats and independents who'll cross over to vote for Trump? Or the number of loyalists who'll sit this election out or vote for 3rd party if Trump is the nominee? 2 steps forward and 5 steps backward doesn't get you ahead my friend.

Old 04-06-2016, 05:47 PM

6,617 posts, read 5,009,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MyNameIsBellaMia View Post
lol. Delusion at its best.

Thats fine, but you cant have it both ways, if it goes down in flames you are handing the election to the Democratic party. Also consider the fact that the establishment may be thinking the same thing, it needs to go down in flames but their definition can be to let people who prevent centrist democrats/minorities/women to vote GOP leave the party pissed off, if you think about future demographics they may be better off providing a right center option to voters than allowing the a part of the base albeit a big part to drag them to certain defeat in the general and most likely future elections. The older I get the more fiscally conservative I get the more I understand the need for tough choices but I cant consider voting GOP if it means standing next to people spewing all this hateful rhetoric, if the GOP divest themselves from these voters it opens their arms to a new more socially liberal demographic which can be the best long term plan for their party.
The GOP is a private organization they hold primaries to determine who their members support, it makes sense for them to see who their members want to see elected this holds true when all their candidates are relatively similar so 6 or half dozen but if choosing someone who is certain to lose and galvanize the demographic they need to win elections why would the take the poison pill.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections