Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-11-2016, 12:05 PM

952 posts, read 519,955 times

Advertisements

Donald Trump has long talked about his personal donations to charity, but a new analysis found that a 93-page list of contributions released by his campaign showed none of the donations was from the GOP presidential candidate's own money.
The Washington Post reviewed the list, which found $6.4 million of the listed gifts were free rounds of golf at his golf courses or other gifts from his hotels and the Mar-a-Lago Club in Florida. The report said the list shows Trump claimed credit for at least 2,900 rounds of golf, 175 free hotel stays, 165 free meals and 11 gift certificates to spas.
According to the analysis, many of the gifts were directly from the Donald Trump Foundation, but not Trump himself. The foundation, the report said, hadn't received a check from Trump between 2009 and 2014.

Allen Weisselberg, the chief financial officer at the Trump Organization, acknowledged to the Post that none of the gifts came from the billionaire himself, but he also claimed that Trump has made donations using his own money, but refused to provide any documentation.

Report: Donald Trump's donations haven't come out of his own pocket - CBS News

Wonder how many wounded Veteran's he claims to care about benefited from those free golf games and hotel stays...

Is this why he is stalling on his tax returns?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-11-2016, 12:06 PM

12,687 posts, read 6,750,762 times
No real surprise here, though you gotta give the man credit for doing vastly more to self-fund than anyone since Ross Perot.

Old 04-11-2016, 12:08 PM

2,727 posts, read 2,838,370 times
Would you rather his foundation received millions as payment for political favors, and 85% of the fund was used as a slush fund, with 15% making it's way to charitable causes?

Old 04-11-2016, 12:41 PM

26,578 posts, read 14,484,001 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by godofthunder9010 View Post
... though you gotta give the man credit for doing vastly more to self-fund than anyone since Ross Perot.
the jury is still out on that one.

last i heard trump had donated only $250,000 to his campaign, the other millions he has invested have specifically been a loan to his campaign which he can pay himself back with money donated by others up until he receives the GOP nomination (IIRC).

Old 04-11-2016, 01:42 PM

11,755 posts, read 7,136,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wrecking ball View Post

last i heard trump had donated only $250,000 to his campaign, the other millions he has invested have specifically been a loan to his campaign which he can pay himself back with money donated by others up until he receives the GOP nomination (IIRC).
I believe his campaign can pay him back until the day before the Election Day.

Mick

Old 04-11-2016, 01:46 PM

6,129 posts, read 6,821,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joeymags View Post
Would you rather his foundation received millions as payment for political favors, and 85% of the fund was used as a slush fund, with 15% making it's way to charitable causes?
That's not really the issue though.

His foundation is a separate entity. If it's his corporation's foundation, it is designed enable the business to write off some of it's tax burden by diverting some profits to the public good. Which is fine, I don't have an issue with that. Also, "in-kind" donations are also tax write-offs for a business, and that's what free rounds of golf and whatnot are.

The thing is, there is no indication yet that he donated any of HIS OWN PERSONAL money to anything, which is not what we were lead to believe. The guy is worth billions but yet has not donated anything to anyone but himself? That wouldn't look good at all.

Not that it will matter to his followers. Nothing does. LOL

Old 04-11-2016, 01:50 PM

11,755 posts, read 7,136,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinawina View Post
That's not really the issue though.

His foundation is a separate entity. If it's his corporation's foundation, it is designed enable the business to write off some of it's tax burden by diverting some profits to the public good. Which is fine, I don't have an issue with that. Also, "in-kind" donations are also tax write-offs for a business, and that's what free rounds of golf and whatnot are.

The thing is, there is no indication yet that he donated any of HIS OWN PERSONAL money to anything, which is not what we were lead to believe. The guy is worth billions but yet has not donated anything to anyone but himself? That wouldn't look good at all.

Not that it will matter to his followers. Nothing does. LOL
Exactly. I don't have a problem with Mr. Trump not giving money, as it is everyone's absolute right to be cheap, I mean, financially conservative.

But I do have a problem with Mr. Trump stating that he gives tons of money to veterans and other causes, when it is really his foundation donating money given by other people. That is, at best, misleading.

Mick

Old 04-11-2016, 02:06 PM

5,381 posts, read 2,849,215 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wrecking ball View Post

You are correct. Trump is LOANING himself the money he will get back if he in the nominee. But don't tell his supporters, they are already fooled. And they can't handle the truth!

Old 04-11-2016, 02:28 PM

5,731 posts, read 2,200,749 times
On the campaign trail he's said "All I've done is take take take" when talking about turning down campaign donations so this is no surprise.

Old 04-11-2016, 04:10 PM

4,078 posts, read 2,347,428 times
Said it before and I'll say it again...Trump is a pathetic fraud.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections