Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-20-2016, 09:03 AM

2,565 posts, read 1,640,837 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by justNancy View Post
I keep reading posts like this, but 10.4 million people voted for Hillary Clinton so far in the primaries. So how can all these people dislike and mistrust her?
Obviously, those who voted for her don't dislike nor distrust her. There are more than 200 Million eligible voters in the US. Many of them may have skipped the primaries in their states, but they might feel compelled to vote in the general election because they don't want her. And many Sanders supporters plan to vote for Trump if Hilary is nominated. Considering they've turned out in high enough numbers to upset quite a few primaries, that alone will negatively affect her in the general election if she gets nominated. Others plan to write in Sanders, and many more will not vote at all if it comes down to Hilary and Trump because they dislike both.

It would be great if people were truly fed up enough with the current corrupt political system to turn out to vote in droves and force a change, but I am not counting on it. Too much voter apathy. Of course, there is really no telling how it will all play out. It will be interesting though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2016, 09:10 AM

24,204 posts, read 19,194,523 times
"Many" Sanders supporters do not plan to vote for Trump. Sure, a few may, but polls clearly show that the majority of Sanders supporters will vote for Hillary, despite the angry rhetoric right now. That's exactly what happened in 2008, when emotions also ran high but ultimately, Hillary supporters followed their candidate and rallied around the Democratic nominee.

Old 04-20-2016, 09:14 AM

37,796 posts, read 40,994,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunGrins View Post
It's the Rapture -- Ted Cruz
According to people on cable news last night, only Democrats were impacted.

Old 04-20-2016, 10:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by emm74 View Post
"Many" Sanders supporters do not plan to vote for Trump. Sure, a few may, but polls clearly show that the majority of Sanders supporters will vote for Hillary, despite the angry rhetoric right now. That's exactly what happened in 2008, when emotions also ran high but ultimately, Hillary supporters followed their candidate and rallied around the Democratic nominee.
A Wall Street Journal/NBC poll conducted in March determined 33% of Sanders supporters plan to refuse to vote for Clinton if she gets nominated. I consider 33% many. Especially since a great number of the others are going to sit out the election if it comes down to Hilary and Trump, so she won't get those votes either. Additionally, more than 20% of registered Dem voters are planning to cross party lines and vote for Trump if Hilary gets nominated. So if she does get the nomination, a large segment of Sanders supporters appears to be ready to refuse to hold their noses and vote for her because some consider her the lesser of two evils.

From what I've read, in order to beat Trump, Clinton needs the votes from a large number of Sanders supporters. And most Sanders supporters see her as the candidate who will continue to represent establishment interests, whereas Sanders is the candidate who will confront - and change - them. Many people are tired of the corrupt political system that has been foisted on the country for decades and they desperately want a change. If that is derailed, they may well refuse to vote for the unwanted candidate because, at that point, they won't care and will be willing to let the chips fall where they may. But, again, no one has a crystal ball and we'll have to wait til November to see how it all ultimately plays out.

Last edited by CatTX; 04-20-2016 at 11:32 AM.. Reason: trailing quote

Old 04-20-2016, 12:47 PM

14,268 posts, read 18,925,638 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CatTX View Post
A Wall Street Journal/NBC poll conducted in March determined 33% of Sanders supporters plan to refuse to vote for Clinton if she gets nominated.
Well, it's only April, so that will be up to Sanders. He has every right to campaign through June. However, after next week, we'll see if he's really a candidate who wants to help other Democrats get into office, Citizens United reversed and the reproductive rights of women protected. If he continues negative attacks against Hillary Clinton and tries to bring her down, even though he has no chance of winning, then it will prove he doesn't care if one of the Republicans are elected in Nov. Just my opinion, but I believe it's a valid one.

Old 04-20-2016, 12:57 PM

14,268 posts, read 18,925,638 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post
According to people on cable news last night, only Democrats were impacted.
That's what I read. Even though I believe even one disenfranchised voter is one too many, and that there should be a full investigation, the numbers did not affect the outcome.

Strange that many bloggers are using a figure of 125,000. The newspaper in New York reported 54,000. In any case, in Brooklyn, I believe Hillary won by 20 points, so she still would have been ahead by a significant margin. Many of the voters who said they couldn't vote were there to cast a vote for her and completed provisional ballots.

I already posted this, but here are the 2008 Primary results. Approx the same number of people voted in the Democratic primary. She won by over 300,000 votes in New York in 2008.

[url=http://politics.nytimes.com/election-guide/2008/results/states/NY.html]New York Primary Election Results - Election Guide 2008 - Results - The New York Times[/url]

Old 04-20-2016, 01:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by justNancy View Post
Well, it's only April, so that will be up to Sanders. He has every right to campaign through June. However, after next week, we'll see if he's really a candidate who wants to help other Democrats get into office, Citizens United reversed and the reproductive rights of women protected. If he continues negative attacks against Hillary Clinton and tries to bring her down, even though he has no chance of winning, then it will prove he doesn't care if one of the Republicans are elected in Nov. Just my opinion, but I believe it's a valid one.
IMO, Sanders is not someone who wants to help another dem get into office, he is someone who wants to change the political landscape. The dem party is just as corrupt as the repubs and I think the only reason he is running as a democrat is because he would not have had a snowball's chance in hell as an independent. Hillary is "same old, same old", except for her gender. Maybe forcing Hilary on the many who don't want her will work and get her elected, but it could also backfire and I shudder to think of Pres Trump or Cruz.

Old 04-20-2016, 01:08 PM

19,799 posts, read 9,341,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CatTX View Post
Obviously, those who voted for her don't dislike nor distrust her.

It would be great if people were truly fed up enough with the current corrupt political system to turn out to vote in droves and force a change, but I am not counting on it. Too much voter apathy. Of course, there is really no telling how it will all play out. It will be interesting though.
I personally DO dislike and distrust HRC, but if it comes to a choice between her and Trump, I will vote for Clinton. It is a question of the lesser of two evils, and so I would think this would also apply to many who would vote for HRC over Sanders. In other words, they might dislike and distrust HRC, but they might dislike and/or distrust Sanders more.

I would prefer to vote for a Republican, and my choice is overwhelmingly Kasich, but if the Republican candidate is Trump or Cruz, then I will be voting for the Democrat, which is in line with how many other voters feel, according to the polls, at least regarding Kasich vs. Clinton.

I do, however, definitely agree with the second part of your post that I quoted above -- and I also think this is the most interesting election year we have had in many, many years.

P.S. I also definitely agree with your post just above this one, which I just read.

Last edited by katharsis; 04-20-2016 at 01:19 PM..

Old 04-20-2016, 03:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whocares811 View Post
I personally DO dislike and distrust HRC, but if it comes to a choice between her and Trump, I will vote for Clinton. It is a question of the lesser of two evils, and so I would think this would also apply to many who would vote for HRC over Sanders. In other words, they might dislike and distrust HRC, but they might dislike and/or distrust Sanders more.

I would prefer to vote for a Republican, and my choice is overwhelmingly Kasich, but if the Republican candidate is Trump or Cruz, then I will be voting for the Democrat, which is in line with how many other voters feel, according to the polls, at least regarding Kasich vs. Clinton.

I do, however, definitely agree with the second part of your post that I quoted above -- and I also think this is the most interesting election year we have had in many, many years.

P.S. I also definitely agree with your post just above this one, which I just read.
How does that ancient curse go, "may you live in interesting times".

The lesser of 2 evils is the crux of it, I think. The millenial generation are still idealistic and want to change the world. The ones in our family have no intention to vote for Clinton if Sanders does not get nominated and, according to them, their friends feel the same way, so they are going to sit it out. If the majority of millenials feels this way, things could get tricky if Clinton gets nominated and it could pave the way for Trump or Cruz.

Old 04-23-2016, 01:02 PM

7,632 posts, read 8,701,274 times
If the purged voters were able to vote, Sanders would likely have got more pledged delegates.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections