Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: HRC VP pick?
Kaine (D-VA, Senator, Former Gov) 8 33.33%
Klobuchar (D-MN, Senator) 0 0%
Patrick (D-MA, Former Governor) 0 0%
Brown (D-OH, Senator) 0 0%
Warner (D-VA, Senator, Former Gov) 2 8.33%
Warren (D-MA, Senator) 3 12.50%
Castro (D-TX, HUD Sec) 6 25.00%
Perez (D-MD, Labor Sec) 0 0%
Other 5 20.83%
Voters: 24. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-24-2016, 09:27 AM

1,058 posts, read 1,264,301 times

Advertisements

NYT running a big story with off the record insight into the thinking behind HRC's VP choices.

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/04/24/us...l?ref=politics

Looks like the main things she wants is: 1. a winner 2. someone who is willing to let Bill have a say in policy

NYT also running this slate as those on teh shortlist:

http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2...l?ref=politics

I think Kaine is the favorite with Klobuchar the darkhorse.

Patrick would be at the top of the list IMO if he didn't take the Bain Capital job.

Brown would be the strongest on the list if Ohio didn't have Kasich as governor, who would appoint a R for the potentially vacant seat and HRC would be looking have as many D's as possible in the senate at the start of her presidency.

Castro is an empty suit.

Tom Perez would be a high risk, high reward choice.

I don't see why Warner would be on the list as Kaine has all the positives without the 'big money' background but the clinton's value loyalty and warner supported her in 2008 when Kaine broke for obama.

Warren won't get (or take it). Also runs into the issue that brown has and an R would get her senate seat.

Other potentials on a larger list, but probably won't be on a short list: Al Franken, Jerry Brown, Mark Dayton, Steve Beshear.

tldr:

1. Kaine
2. Klobuchar
3. Patrick
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2016, 09:32 AM

52,431 posts, read 26,636,151 times
The Banksters and Hedge Fund managers on Wall Street who are funding Hillary's campaign will not let her pick Elizabeth Warren or any true progressive from the Bernie "wing" of the party.

Old 04-24-2016, 09:39 AM

2,643 posts, read 2,443,847 times
My money's on Kaine and Castro

If trump gets the nomination then a Castro choice for sure

Old 04-24-2016, 09:51 AM

11,110 posts, read 9,817,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mufc1878 View Post
NYT running a big story with off the record insight into the thinking behind HRC's VP choices.

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/04/24/us...l?ref=politics

Looks like the main things she wants is: 1. a winner 2. someone who is willing to let Bill have a say in policy

NYT also running this slate as those on teh shortlist:

http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2...l?ref=politics

I think Kaine is the favorite with Klobuchar the darkhorse.

Patrick would be at the top of the list IMO if he didn't take the Bain Capital job.

Brown would be the strongest on the list if Ohio didn't have Kasich as governor, who would appoint a R for the potentially vacant seat and HRC would be looking have as many D's as possible in the senate at the start of her presidency.

Castro is an empty suit.

Tom Perez would be a high risk, high reward choice.

I don't see why Warner would be on the list as Kaine has all the positives without the 'big money' background but the clinton's value loyalty and warner supported her in 2008 when Kaine broke for obama.

Warren won't get (or take it). Also runs into the issue that brown has and an R would get her senate seat.

Other potentials on a larger list, but probably won't be on a short list: Al Franken, Jerry Brown, Mark Dayton, Steve Beshear.

tldr:

1. Kaine
2. Klobuchar
3. Patrick
First, it's important to note that the dynamics of Clinton's VP pick will depend somewhat on the way the nomination plays out - specifically, how compelled she feels to use it to help bridge the gap with Sanders' followers.

I agree that Kaine makes a lot of sense in numerous ways. Virginia is an absolutely must-win for the GOP, and he would help fire-proof the Virginia Democratic firewall.

Klobuchar? I think she'd make a fine Vice President, but I don't see much upside in the pick. She's a wonkish Senator, similar to Clinton in that respect. The other Minnesota Senator, Franken, would make a better pick. He's loved by what Paul Wellstone called 'the Democratic wing of the Democratic Party', and he gives it to Republicans happily and incisively in ways that neither Clinton nor Klobuchar can do - and that is a very valuable attribute in a running mate. (and I'm hoping to keep Klobuchar around so she can run for Governor when her current Senate term is up in 2018)

Patrick? Not a bad pick at all.

I've got to say, though - Brown, Dayton? Zero chance. Absolutely zero. There is less than zero chance that she'll put 78-year-old Jerry Brown on the ticket. Does he bring anything? And Dayton? He's a fantastic governor, but he is a terrible public speaker. Again, less than a zero chance.

I agree that Julian Castro is very overrated as a potential pick, and I doubt Clinton is seriously considering him.

Elizabeth Warren will undoubtedly be vetted and considered.

Russ Feingold would have made a great pick had he won in 2010 - as an ex-Senator trying to get back into the Senate, he'd make a poor choice, unfortunately.

Old 04-24-2016, 10:04 AM

9,911 posts, read 7,702,289 times
Robert Reich

Old 04-24-2016, 10:41 AM

11,181 posts, read 10,534,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unsettomati View Post
First, it's important to note that the dynamics of Clinton's VP pick will depend somewhat on the way the nomination plays out - specifically, how compelled she feels to use it to help bridge the gap with Sanders' followers.
I agree and would add the dynamics depend heavily upon who is on the GOP ticket. Until that's known, the short list will remain a list with no particular frontrunners.

Just imo no one is on that list unless they've already publicly endorsed HRC. That's just how poliitcs works. There are too many excellent and qualified folks who have already done exactly that; no need for her to look at anyone who has not.

By comparison, Trump and Cruz have so few endorsements that they will be forced to expand their lists.

Old 04-24-2016, 10:49 AM

2,973 posts, read 1,975,653 times
Castro!

Old 04-24-2016, 10:52 AM

8,131 posts, read 4,329,082 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WaldoKitty View Post
The Banksters and Hedge Fund managers on Wall Street who are funding Hillary's campaign will not let her pick Elizabeth Warren or any true progressive from the Bernie "wing" of the party.

Bernie, no one is listening to you anymore, go away!

Old 04-24-2016, 10:53 AM

8,131 posts, read 4,329,082 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daywalk View Post
Castro!
I was thinking Castro earlier, but why Castro? Hillary already has the Latino vote wrapped up, I would go with Joe Biden.

Old 04-24-2016, 10:55 AM

2,973 posts, read 1,975,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tillman7 View Post
I was thinking Castro earlier, but why Castro? Hillary already has the Latino vote wrapped up, I would go with Joe Biden.
I think Hillary needs someone who can appeal to white male voters.
She easily wins among women and minorities, so she really needs to improve on getting the white male vote.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections