Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-26-2016, 10:43 AM

754 posts, read 486,551 times

Advertisements

So another day, another poll where Hillary beats Trump by 11 points (50-39). Her RCP average is still nearly 10 points against him.

RealClearPolitics - Election 2016 - General Election: Trump vs. Clinton

I'm not one to say Trump has no chance in a general election, sure he could turn those around a become competitive in November, but its looking pretty tough right now. People harp on about Reagan in 1980, but Reagan overturned Carter in the month of May that year and stayed ahead thereafter, Trump isn't showing much signs of doing that, those numbers look pretty stuck.

I'm just wondering therefore, should this election play out with those poll numbers and GOP gets crushed, what will be their electoral strategy for 2020? A sharp move back to the political center surely?

Sure the likes of Hannity/Ingraham will go crazy, but by the end of this election, those guys will have no credibility by then anyway.

I suspect the GOP will agree to pass immigration reform and a host of other pro-immigrant measures by 2020.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-26-2016, 10:46 AM

13,898 posts, read 6,452,130 times
Anyone who thinks making illegals legal and letting them come in by the millions is their top priority just don't matter. They shouldn't even have a voice but unfortunately they do. Letting illegals flock in here isn't a center of the road issue. It is a far left issue.

Old 04-26-2016, 10:53 AM

24,201 posts, read 19,227,947 times
^^^ And this is why a centrist Republican who would stand an excellent chance of winning a general election won't be the nominee without first tacking so hard to the right that they can't come back.

Old 04-26-2016, 11:01 AM

20,160 posts, read 12,772,388 times
There is a black guy on TV on CNBC this morning, he is a registered Democrat from MD, he said he can't vote for Trump in the primary but Trump is his candidate. I wonder how many will be in this category. The numbers are not reflected.

Old 04-26-2016, 11:04 AM

8,069 posts, read 6,976,359 times
I think and I am an independent with social liberal views but I will give you my Machiavellian opinion on this subject.

IMO the GOP should get a candidate who is against illegal immigration and Muslim immigration but who can also act presidential.

They should not pander to groups like La Raza or anyone who wants amnesty. They should also promise the reduction of benefits to non-citizens. If you get someone that looks presidential like Mitt Romney or Paul Ryan with that type of rhetoric I think the republicans can win the white house. It doesn't matter if he is part of the establishment or not, the average person doesn't give a crap who finances a campaign and Trump followers are loyal to him only because he told them he will build a wall and deport 11 million people. No one gives a crap about superpacs, if that were the case Sanders would be winning against Hillary and Trump would have more republican support. I also think they need to stop any negative talk against black people. They can continue their bigoted rants against immigrants and Muslims but they need some black vote to win. NO racist tweets with fake statistics please. Conservative radio hosts need to stop also stereotyping blacks at least until the next election.

I still wouldn't vote for them, but I think that's how the 2020 election is gonna turn out. I think they are already grooming Rubio for that but I think they also need a new candidate since there is a possibility that no matter what Rubio does, he will never recover from the Gang of 8 fiasco.

Old 04-26-2016, 11:05 AM

9,911 posts, read 7,708,545 times
I am hoping Trump wins my majority vote after the Republicans split and Democrats win control of the Senate

Old 04-26-2016, 11:14 AM

8,069 posts, read 6,976,359 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewbieHere View Post
There is a black guy on TV on CNBC this morning, he is a registered Democrat from MD, he said he can't vote for Trump in the primary but Trump is his candidate. I wonder how many will be in this category. The numbers are not reflected.
They showed that black guy because he is a freak show, not because he is the rule. He is the exception to the rule.

If you want to know how Trump will perform in November check the polls. Hillary is winning by 10 points and Trump is doing incredibly poorly in most swing states.

Of course you still have 6 months to fantasize and think that Trump will be abducted by aliens who will replace his clownish brain with a presidential one and suddenly every American will forget what Trump said before his transformation. Dream until your dreams come true.

Old 04-26-2016, 11:25 AM

13,694 posts, read 9,018,075 times
I guess this Salon interview fits well here:

“Complete and total destruction of the Republican Party”: Former Reagan official Bruce Bartlett on why he backs Trump - Salon.com

Bruce Bartlett, a long-time Republican (some official in Reagan and Elder Bush administrations), gives a gloomy forecast for the Party near-term, but a hopefully sunny future.

It is as I noted in another thread, where an 'unnamed' source in the RNC opined that it would be good to have Cruz be the nominee; then, when Cruz is crushed in November, it would silence those conservatives that have been claiming that the only reason they lost in 2008 and 2012 was due to putting up wimpy moderates like McCain and Romney, and not 'true conservatives' (true, of course, having a different meaning to different people).

So, we have Mr. Bartlett hoping that Trump is the nominee so that the party will be destroyed and can rebuild itself, while another high RNC source wants Cruz to be the weapon of destruction. Someone will get their wish.

I hereby propose that, assuming Mr. Trump is the nominee and that he loses in November, for 2020 he runs again, as a Democrat (he can easily do so), and so destroy that party from within so it can rebuild.

Old 04-26-2016, 11:27 AM

8,447 posts, read 4,757,118 times
Never let a leftist define what the center is for you.

Old 04-26-2016, 11:31 AM

17,440 posts, read 9,277,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by legalsea View Post
I guess this Salon interview fits well here:

“Complete and total destruction of the Republican Party”: Former Reagan official Bruce Bartlett on why he backs Trump - Salon.com

Bruce Bartlett, a long-time Republican (some official in Reagan and Elder Bush administrations), gives a gloomy forecast for the Party near-term, but a hopefully sunny future.

It is as I noted in another thread, where an 'unnamed' source in the RNC opined that it would be good to have Cruz be the nominee; then, when Cruz is crushed in November, it would silence those conservatives that have been claiming that the only reason they lost in 2008 and 2012 was due to putting up wimpy moderates like McCain and Romney, and not 'true conservatives' (true, of course, having a different meaning to different people).

So, we have Mr. Bartlett hoping that Trump is the nominee so that the party will be destroyed and can rebuild itself, while another high RNC source wants Cruz to be the weapon of destruction. Someone will get their wish.

I hereby propose that, assuming Mr. Trump is the nominee and that he loses in November, for 2020 he runs again, as a Democrat (he can easily do so), and so destroy that party from within so it can rebuild.
Bruce Bartlett has not been a Republican for many years, but the Leftist Media trots him out as a "Republican" who supports Obama and Leftist causes on a regular basis.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections