Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-02-2016, 08:33 PM

8,069 posts, read 6,973,894 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
Most could fix their own television today if they would take 20 minutes on the internet. Most everything is plug and unplug and as I noted before, there really isn't much to them and parts are as you note, inexpensive.
I agree, as long as you make sure you don't get electrocuted or burn yourself with a soldering iron

Now don't try to fix an Iphone because that is not easy at all. That's worth every penny you pay to fix it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-02-2016, 08:52 PM

1,229 posts, read 859,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
We can profitably make iphones here for what they sell for. No one can convince me otherwise. Apple just can't abuse the help here like they can in China but the workers in China are getting tired of it.
My neighbor presented the same argument the other day and asked me :

Do you want to pay 45 bucks for a toaster that now costs 15 to 20 bucks at Walmart.

My answer to him : How many toasters have you or your wife purchased in your entire lifetime?

He had no answer.

My answer to my own question - I've only purchased two toasters in my entire 52 years...and If I have to purchase a third one, I would not mind paying 45 bucks for it if it were made in America and employed American workers.

Apple would go out of business if an IPhone was 2k. There is no way in hell anyone here could convince me an American-made IPhone would cost 2k.
They're repeating spoon-fed propaganda.

Kershaw makes knives in the USA and also markets models that are manufactured in China too. The American made Leek, designed by Ken Onion, is 6 To 10 dollars more than a similar model manufactured in China. I only own one Kershaw knife -- the American-made Leek....and more than happy to pay the few extra bucks.

This country existed for over 150 years with tarrifs and it served us well.

Similar spoon-fed propaganda is regurgitated about reestablishing a gold standard for our monetary system.

The proles are easily led and deceived.

Sad but true.

Last edited by At-Chilles; 05-02-2016 at 09:28 PM..

Old 05-02-2016, 09:09 PM

1,229 posts, read 859,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by leftee View Post
What happens ?

People actually put money in the bank and have an emergency fund instead of living paycheck-to-paycheck.
Like everything, there is a balance between saving and consumption and we are an over-consuming society.
As long as credit exists and the persistence of the entitlement mentality, nothing will ever change.
If you have system that depends on the issuance of credit to grow the economy, yet the borrowering-class is seeing their ability to repay the debt
In a constant state or erosion --- you have phony/fake system.

Old 05-02-2016, 09:34 PM

23,795 posts, read 13,269,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kibby View Post
Steve Jobs tried forever to build Apple products in California - he learned that the bureaucratic there would not allow it. He was forced to move offshore. There is no doubt about our trade imbalance with China.

We can do better. Perhaps the California Way is not the best American Way.
Right--it's the fault of California. So he could have moved to Nevada or Texas, but chose China instead? Wow--that Steve Jobs really had no imagination at all.

"...What does China have that America lacks?
Quite a lot. China has more mid-level engineers, a more flexible workforce, and gigantic factories that can ramp up production at the drop of a hat. China also offers tech firms a one-stop solution. "The entire supply chain is in China now," a former high-ranking Apple executive tells The Times. "You need a thousand rubber gaskets? That's the factory next door. You need a million screws? That factory is a block away. You need that screw made a little bit different? It will take three hours."

It's not just about cheaper wages?
No.

And in fact, China no longer offers rock-bottom wages. But when it did, it used that window "to innovate the entire way supply chains work,"

When Jobs decided just a month before the iPhone hit markets to replace a scratch-prone plastic screen with a glass one, a Foxconn factory in China woke up about 8,000 workers when the glass screens arrived at midnight, and the workers were assembling 10,000 iPhones a day within 96 hours..."

Why Apple builds iPhones (and everything else) in China

Old 05-02-2016, 09:35 PM

9,725 posts, read 15,174,356 times
Maybe some of you should read this before deciding that our trade imbalance with China is a negative thing for us: The Reasons Why China Buys U.S. Treasury Bonds | Investopedia

Old 05-03-2016, 01:53 AM

79,907 posts, read 44,222,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by At-Chilles View Post
My neighbor presented the same argument the other day and asked me :

Do you want to pay 45 bucks for a toaster that now costs 15 to 20 bucks at Walmart.
This is a misnomer also........we have a had the wool pulled over our eyes to a point. We have a bathroom in the back of the house that in the middle of winter stays just a bit chilly (old house). We went to buy a small portable heater......I ended up getting one that was made in the USA that was priced the same as the ones made in China.

What happened was the prices initially for Chinese products were quite low (and inferior) but they slowly increased the prices where they are getting as much out of the items as they could be made for here.

Quote:
My answer to him : How many toasters have you or your wife purchased in your entire lifetime?

He had no answer.

My answer to my own question - I've only purchased two toasters in my entire 52 years...and If I have to purchase a third one, I would not mind paying 45 bucks for it if it were made in America and employed American workers.

Apple would go out of business if an IPhone was 2k. There is no way in hell anyone here could convince me an American-made IPhone would cost 2k.
They're repeating spoon-fed propaganda.

Kershaw makes knives in the USA and also markets models that are manufactured in China too. The American made Leek, designed by Ken Onion, is 6 To 10 dollars more than a similar model manufactured in China. I only own one Kershaw knife -- the American-made Leek....and more than happy to pay the few extra bucks.

This country existed for over 150 years with tarrifs and it served us well.

Similar spoon-fed propaganda is regurgitated about reestablishing a gold standard for our monetary system.

The proles are easily led and deceived.

Sad but true.
We allowed the bankers to run our businesses (Wall Street) as opposed to the engineers. A company makes a 6 million dollar profit (a tidy profit) one year but they get hammered by Wall Street because the next year they only make a 6.1 million dollar profit.

Mnay slam the non productive class but those who demand a certain return each year without actually doing anything to earn it is doing more harm to the country than those on the other end not able to find a decent job because the non productive at the top have ran all the jobs off in search of greater profits each year for doing nothing.

Old 05-03-2016, 01:54 AM

13,933 posts, read 12,900,806 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobisinthehouse View Post
Everyone needs to understand, all of you will be paying the tariffs taxes, the corporations will just pass the extra cost of a product to the consumer. The Apple iphone will never be built in the USA, because it will cost $2000.00 dollars for each phone.
That's just bogus. I'm no Donald Trump defender but I will defend him on this particular policy. So, what would happen if a "President Trump" and congress put a tariff on these goods made in China?

What would happen is they would cost more, and those companies wouldn't be able to compete anymore. They'd price themselves right out of the market. Not only does this have the effect of encouraging people to buy products made here in the USA, but it also has the added benefit of incentivizing these companies over seas to play fair so that they can avoid getting a tariff on them in the first place.

Old 05-03-2016, 01:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UB50 View Post
Maybe some of you should read this before deciding that our trade imbalance with China is a negative thing for us: The Reasons Why China Buys U.S. Treasury Bonds | Investopedia
We have to sell this debt because we do not have the income producing jobs to pay for what we are spending any longer. This is not a positive thing.

Old 05-03-2016, 03:03 AM

13,933 posts, read 12,900,806 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobisinthehouse View Post
Adam Carolla makes a lot of good points, I really like what Ted Cruz says a lot more, but if Trump is the candidate, I will vote for him. The one thing that bothers me the most about Trump is when he brings up China. Trump says he is going to put Tariffs, "A tax imposed on imported goods and services".

Everyone needs to understand, all of you will be paying the tariffs taxes, the corporations will just pass the extra cost of a product to the consumer. The Apple iphone will never be built in the USA, because it will cost $2000.00 dollars for each phone.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ApvRpI6wcyo
As to your points about Carolla and how he explains Trump... Yeah, I definitely think Crolla does a good job of diagnosing how Trump came about, but just because there are legitimate reasons that someone might support someone like Trump, does not legitimize Trump's rise to prominence. What I mean by that, is that the people who support Trump have channeled their "anger" in an inconstructive way, and I believe that it's because they don't really know any better. Trump should never have been considered a serious presidential candidate, and the fact that he is means that our country and our Democracy has failed.

Old 05-03-2016, 03:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhipperSnapper 88 View Post
As to your points about Carolla and how he explains Trump... Yeah, I definitely think Crolla does a good job of diagnosing how Trump came about, but just because there are legitimate reasons that someone might support someone like Trump, does not legitimize Trump's rise to prominence. What I mean by that, is that the people who support Trump have channeled their "anger" in an inconstructive way, and I believe that it's because they don't really know any better. Trump should never have been considered a serious presidential candidate, and the fact that he is means that our country and our Democracy has failed.
Just trying to clarify.......is it because he isn't a politician? Is it because he says things unlike what most politicians would say?

Politicians are the reason behind Trump's rise. Wouldn't those who are sick and tired of politicians naturally turn to someone that is not one?

Who else? They should have simply sucked it up and voted for the same failed model again?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections