Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-09-2016, 05:21 PM

7,605 posts, read 4,853,489 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taratova View Post
Hillary wants to put more people out of work. I say , lets put Hillary out of work!! Trump 2016!!

Got my lawn sign out .. big sign.. TRUMP 2016- HUGE LETTERS..
So you are for mining Coal even if we have no use for it? Who is going to pay for that?

Old 05-09-2016, 06:01 PM

41,813 posts, read 51,127,556 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WaldoKitty View Post
  • Replacing 40% of our energy generating from coal fired to natural gas fired would hugely increase imports of natural gas. It would make us dependent yet again on foriegn governments for energy when we have spent the last 45 years getting away from that.
This is in fact occurring primarily because of the uncertainties of regulations, it's going to be slow process. If we outright banned coal plants they would have to grandfather in the existing ones, if not prices would truly skyrocket. It's the capital investment that would not mature that is going to each your lunch. Plus the infrastructure is simply not in place to meet such demand, they are having issues now.

This would or will occur over the next 50 and I'm not so sure the gas industry couldn't meet that demand, the issue becomes the cost of the gas and a market that fluctuates significantly.

Old 05-09-2016, 06:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WilliamSmyth View Post
First off, I believe if you look at the latest numbers, Coal no longer makes up 40% of our energy generation. That is the whole point. Its use has been declining by fairly significant amounts recently.
The precipitous drop is driven by many closings of aging coal plants becsue of the new mercury rules that will reduce deposition rates an estimated 1 to 10 percent and increase the average IQ 2/1000 of one point.

It's like having an old car from the 60's that has no value other than transportation and the government requires you to put $3000 of emission controls on it. simply not worth it especially considering they may require you to put another $3000 of emission controls in the future.

Those have been replaced with natgas plants some of which were mothballed in the early part of the last decade.

Quote:
Secondly, and the point of this thread, how is Trump going to reverse the trend?
The first thing that needs to be done is long term stability in regulations, one of the issues now is every time they come into compliance there is new set of rules and often the cost of that could of been reduced coming into compliance with the last set of rules. Any industry is going to find difficulty operating under such burdens. The industry can then decide whether coal will be worth it in the future.

Old 05-09-2016, 06:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WilliamSmyth View Post
So you are for mining Coal even if we have no use for it? Who is going to pay for that?

I'm for what works Willy, I don't want to pay California rates for electric.

Old 05-09-2016, 06:30 PM

26,003 posts, read 22,198,629 times
This is a good article: Hillary Clinton Has A Message For Coal Miners: You're Fired

It looks like while jobs continue to leave the country, both taxes and the cost of energy will increase if Hillary is POTUS. She is going to put everyone out of work and give them an aid package. Who do think pays for the aid package and the increased cost of energy? Those few left with jobs that haven't yet left the country.

They were talking about alternative energy in the 1970s. I went to see some of the first electric cars manufactured in Elkhart, IN in the spring of 1972. The next thing I knew, they disappeared and giant crew cab pickups and giant SUVs were all I was seeing on the highway. This just all seems like some kind of sham to me.

It is true that without industry in the US, there is less need for coal. I don't see that as a positive though.

Old 05-09-2016, 06:34 PM

33,942 posts, read 22,573,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnywhereElse View Post
This is a good article: Hillary Clinton Has A Message For Coal Miners: You're Fired

It looks like while jobs continue to leave the country, both taxes and the cost of energy will increase if Hillary is POTUS. She is going to put everyone out of work and give them an aid package. Who do think pays for the aid package and the increased cost of energy? Those few left with jobs that haven't yet left the country.

They were talking about alternative energy in the 1970s. I went to see some of the first electric cars manufactured in Elkhart, IN in the spring of 1972. The next thing I knew, they disappeared and giant crew cab pickups and giant SUVs were all I was seeing on the highway. This just all seems like some kind of sham to me.

It is true that without industry in the US, there is less need for coal. I don't see that as a positive though.
Why is this all about Hillary when Bernie's response is 'to hell with fossil fuels'!

He want to go EVEN FURTHER that Clinton with regard to regulations.

What say you?

Old 10-26-2016, 12:30 AM

2,691 posts, read 1,392,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyRider View Post
I ask again. What replaced the steel mills in PA? Are they making iPhones now? Did Elon Musk set up shop here? You guys shutter old industries but the new ones never take their place. They go to China. People have wised up to this trick and this time have a voice in someone like Trump. Did you watch Hillary's pathetic response to the coal miner? If she is so right, why didn't she come out and say what you said. Coal is dead, move along.
Elon Musk has established large facilities, including but not limited to manufacturing plants, in the United States.

Old 10-26-2016, 05:45 AM

35,760 posts, read 21,126,227 times
and congress approved it? hmmm

Old 11-23-2016, 12:38 PM

10,225 posts, read 7,609,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UB50 View Post
Seriously! He's on TV and I swear he is saying this!

What a guy! What a businessman!
And Mama Bear said to Papa Bear, Who's been sleeping in my bed?

Everyone has a favorite fairy tale.

Old 02-11-2017, 02:56 PM

2,691 posts, read 1,392,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katygirl68 View Post
What about older workers? No one is going to hire them even with retraining.
The only solution i can think of there is enhanced retirement benefits. Every industry that has ever gone obsoloete has faced that problem. But, I believe that no one who has shown they are willing to work hard or has served in combat should ever just be forgotten. I would support enhanced retirement benefits for them if they absolutely cant find other employment.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections