Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-06-2016, 08:21 AM

3,887 posts, read 5,748,737 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by WestCobb View Post
The guy is so ridiculously crude and buffoonish .. but yet... somehow, he manages to come out on top. Adams' argument that Trump is a master of some black magic persuasion skills seems silly, but it makes you wonder.

As Democrat, I think . yeah, you can fool all the Republicans all the time. Those guys sure are jokers.

But I've seen some Republican posters here who had more faith in their party. They thought, surely we won't fall for this. I'm starting to wonder if I have too much faith in the American people. Surely, we won't fall for this, right?

If Trump can successfully convince people he's not a racist (while still keeping all the racists on the train), then .. hmmm... we may be in trouble. Adams thinks this is going to be as easy as just hugging a lot of black and brown people. Surely it's not that easy, is it?
It is funny watching people on the left complain about people falling for Trump, who is at least putting his plans out there, while many of the same people fell for Obama who's big selling points were hope and change. Does it **** you off that Trump is using the same strategy?

Conservatives do not love Trump because he is not a conservative, but the every day people love him, especially those in the middle who are tired of constantly being screwed over by policies that only seem to benefit the rich and the government. The middle class middle of the road politically are tired of us kissing everybodies ass, and they are tired of being constantly lied to, Trump and Sanders are both benefiting from it with each party.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-06-2016, 08:29 AM

24,201 posts, read 19,210,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WaldoKitty View Post
I don't think so. An adulterer and liar to the American people doesn't deserve respect. The millions who lost jobs due to NAFTA and millions more who lost homes due to Clintons's banking deregulation are not going to hold him in high respect either. This while the Clintons got insanely rich in the process.

As soon as these things, and more, are put forth to the people again, where they are reminded what kind of snakes we are talking about with the Clintons, they are done. The Dilbert guy is absolute right.

This, BTW, is exactly why Hillary doesn't get it. She's running a 1990s campaign in the 2010s. World is completely different but she's been so isolated from it over the last 20 years, she has absolutely no idea.

How Not to Make a Campaign Ad | Scott Adams Blog
wait, so we are in agreement that Trump doesn't deserve respect??

Old 05-06-2016, 08:49 AM

12,997 posts, read 13,647,085 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwiley View Post
It is funny watching people on the left complain about people falling for Trump, who is at least putting his plans out there, while many of the same people fell for Obama who's big selling points were hope and change. Does it **** you off that Trump is using the same strategy?

Conservatives do not love Trump because he is not a conservative, but the every day people love him, especially those in the middle who are tired of constantly being screwed over by policies that only seem to benefit the rich and the government. The middle class middle of the road politically are tired of us kissing everybodies ass, and they are tired of being constantly lied to, Trump and Sanders are both benefiting from it with each party.
I'm not ****ed off. I think Trump is a conning clown who will use the presidency to enrich his friends and punish his enemies. How he managed to position himself as the lumpen proletariat champion is curious to me, but meh, that lot is easy to fool. I'm really interested to see how the national polls are going to look a few weeks from now. If Trump is trending upwards, there may be something to Adams' analysis that he's a master persuader.

Old 05-06-2016, 08:52 AM

24,201 posts, read 19,210,098 times
Quote:

what plan? Whatever scant details he puts out change from day to day anyway.

Old 05-06-2016, 08:54 AM

52,431 posts, read 26,636,151 times
Quote:
I'm a white guy. I don't think any of my problems are due to racism. I do think Trump is a racist though, in the old school Archie Bunker get-me-a-Jew-to-do-my-taxes kind of way. He doesn't seem like a truly hateful or spiteful person though, so I don't think he'll open any concentration camps.
It's your premise that I'm responding to so of course you feel this way. But to attribute your personal anecdote to the general electorate, is not convincing. Racism is not on the minds of the voters except for those where racism is at the top of all their lists. It's jobs, security & health care. Everything else is a distraction.

Furthermore there is nothing in Trump's history that would indicate that is is a racist. If anything successful businessmen have realized there is no money to be made by promoting such nonsense.

Old 05-06-2016, 08:57 AM

12,997 posts, read 13,647,085 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WaldoKitty View Post
It's your premise that I'm responding to so of course you feel this way. But to attribute your personal anecdote to the general electorate, is not convincing. Racism is not on the minds of the voters except for those where racism is at the top of all their lists. It's jobs, security & health care. Everything else is a distraction.
Racism is very much on the minds of non white voters, as it should be when a guy like Trump is going to be nominated by a major political party. If Donald can't somehow convince them he's not a racist, he's going to lose.. the demographics just aren't there for him.

Old 05-06-2016, 09:15 AM

12,772 posts, read 7,979,187 times
Quote:
Racism is very much on the minds of non white voters, as it should be when a guy like Trump is going to be nominated by a major political party. If Donald can't somehow convince them he's not a racist, he's going to lose.. the demographics just aren't there for him.
Personally I really don't think he is racist/sexist, his roster of employees show that, but because he has made some obviously questionable verbal comments people have made up their minds and determined he is racist/sexist without looking at what he actually does vs. what he says.

Old 05-06-2016, 09:17 AM

451 posts, read 465,594 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lisanicole1 View Post
I agree with Trumps ability to persuade people... My husband who is a Democrat and would never vote Republican (HUGE FAN OF OBAMA - cannot stress this enough lol) was watching Trump town hall a few days ago. After it was over he said "Damn, I was actually starting to agree with him for a minute but now back to reality".. LOL..

Trump's got Game. I wouldn't be surprised if he's been reading rooshvforum.

Old 05-06-2016, 12:27 PM

9,828 posts, read 9,419,527 times
Quote:
I have spent the last two hours or so reading through the blog and doing some research on him. I think you're right. His admiration for Trump is palpable, and his main argument for why he doesn't support Trump is that he (Scott Adams) is so unique and above the fray that the differences between all of the candidates don't matter to him. Uh, sure.

He's also made some pretty sexist remarks in the past, so there's that.

Still, I think he makes good points. Trump does have amazing persuasion skills. Jeb! underestimated him, and we see where that got him. I hope the Clinton team is doing a better job of analyzing exactly what Trump's appeal is and not just dismissing him out of hand thinking .. no way would people fall for that.
While I agree that the GOP establishment underestimated him (we all did, frankly), I don't believe Trump's moves are calculated at all. The man has walked back more comments and flip-flopped on more positions than I can count. That doesn't strike me as someone with a master plan. I think it's more the fact that his supporters are so enamored with Trump's nasty hate-filled message, they'll excuse literally anything he says or does no matter how indefensible it is. Everything he says, regardless of its stupidity and offensiveness, sounds Churchillian to a Trump supporter's ears.

Trump's willingness to demonize illegal immigrants and Muslims has earned him unshakeable support from a large group of right-wing conservatives. Having said that, he faced unusually fierce opposition even within the friendly confines of the GOP primaries, and his percentage of the primary vote is the lowest in 40 years. His message isn't resonating with everyone.

Old 05-06-2016, 12:32 PM

9,828 posts, read 9,419,527 times
Quote:
Do they? How do you know what everybody in the country wants? I have not even seen general polls showing people think taxes should be raised or that they want a higher minimum wage. If you have some proof please provide it.
According to this AP-GFK poll taken last year, 2/3 of Americans believe the rich pay too little in taxes. This poll is consistent with others on the subject.
President Obama Taxes Wealthy: Poll Shows Support For Some Increase

The 1/3 in favor of the rich stuffing our nation's wealth into their offshore accounts are almost certainly dumb right-wingers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections