Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-08-2016, 11:22 AM

24,201 posts, read 19,210,098 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RunD1987 View Post
They have the ability to vote after the voters make their vote. Their vote will sway the votes of the Primaries.
Again, this isn't about voting. Are you suggesting that their freedom of speech and association be taken away and they can't be public about the candidate they support? Because that's the part that won't happen. The vote itself isn't relevant until the actual convention but you seem to be conflating speech and voting.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-08-2016, 11:47 AM

9,911 posts, read 7,699,445 times
The Superdelegates should be Neutral till the Convention like Obama and Biden.

The Convention should play out like this:
Day 1 - Candiates with the lowest number of Delegates debate. This gives them a chance to convey why they should be the VP choice or part of the Nominees new Cabinet/Administration.

Day 2 - The Candiates with the highest number of Delegates debate sway Superdelegates to vote for them and why they should be the Nominee.

Day 3 - Superdelegates vote. Superdelegates are every Democratic Senator and Representative in Congress. Additionally, each State has an effect on how many SuperDelegates there are. Based off of Democratic voters/Register voter's ( For example 60,000Dems/500,000voters = 8 Superdelegates). That is for all 50 States and Territories. The Superdelegates consist of Registered Democratic Journalist, Democratic Military officials/leaders, Democratic government agency directors, Democratic goverment committee members, leaders of the DNC, Democratic Governors, and Democratic Union Leaders.

Old 05-08-2016, 02:32 PM

7,840 posts, read 9,202,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmw335xi View Post
I used to be a strong Democrat, I voted for Obama both elections. I even donated $100 to Obama in 2008. However, in 2008 I realized the party is corrupt because we gave them everything, the house and the senate and they sat on their hands for the most part. We could have passed universal healthcare instead we got Obamacare where my insurance rates went up 300% for the same plan. We got some legislation passed, but didn't fund it, so it can't be enforced. Everything was in favor of the big donors and interests. Health insurance companies are doing better than ever. I voted for Obama in 2012 because I felt both parties were corrupt, so I'd vote for the lesser evil. However, now we actually have a true outsider who will do what he says (Trump). How do I know this, the political establishment on BOTH sides hate him. Even now he is the presumptive nominee, you still have many GOP establishment members opposing him, this tells me he isn't part of the corrupt political system.
Nice story, bro. How do you know that Trump's going "to do what he says"? He's got a long history of making big promises to investors and then bailing, frequently by declaring bankruptcy.

Old 05-08-2016, 02:44 PM

24,407 posts, read 26,964,842 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Linda_d View Post
Nice story, bro. How do you know that Trump's going "to do what he says"? He's got a long history of making big promises to investors and then bailing, frequently by declaring bankruptcy.
Trump has filed Chapter 11 four times throughout his career, which isn't significant considering the number of ventures. Overall, he has grown his wealth nicely.

I know he will try to do everything he says because he is very prideful and is the type of person to want to prove all his critics wrong.

For me, I'm sick of the establishment class. Both parties promise the same things and both parties forget all their promises after they get elected. We need someone like Trump who doesn't give a **** about their party and puts America first.

People like Clinton and Ryan only care about their team winning and their team is their party (not Americans).

Old 05-08-2016, 03:22 PM

23,856 posts, read 13,754,224 times
Quote:
I used to be a strong Democrat, I voted for Obama both elections. I even donated $100 to Obama in 2008. However, in 2008 I realized the party is corrupt because we gave them everything, the house and the senate and they sat on their hands for the most part. We could have passed universal healthcare instead we got Obamacare where my insurance rates went up 300% for the same plan. We got some legislation passed, but didn't fund it, so it can't be enforced. Everything was in favor of the big donors and interests. Health insurance companies are doing better than ever. I voted for Obama in 2012 because I felt both parties were corrupt, so I'd vote for the lesser evil. However, now we actually have a true outsider who will do what he says (Trump). How do I know this, the political establishment on BOTH sides hate him. Even now he is the presumptive nominee, you still have many GOP establishment members opposing him, this tells me he isn't part of the corrupt political system.
Ummmm, I think you're missing a step here. That's the one where Congress says yea or nay. My guess is that even more congress critters hate Trump than hate Obama.

Old 05-08-2016, 03:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by emm74 View Post
You're going to take away the ability of Democratic party leaders and elected officials to endorse the candidate of their choice? Not a chance in the world that is going to happen. Nor should it. The fact that Bernie Sanders chose to run as a candidate for the Democratic nomination despite having not been a Democrat for his entire political career doesn't mean that long term Democrat leaders cannot support the candidate they want even if it's not him.
Don't forget that Sanders himself is a super delegate. He became one the instant he registered as a D, since he was already a US Senator. Which means, in effect, his voters chose him as a super delegate, not the DNC or any other arcane cabal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by emm74 View Post
And once again, Hillary is leading without the Superdelegates taken into consideration. And in fact, even if you use Bernie math and give him the SDs in the states he's won, while of course also giving Hillary the SDs in the states she's won, she'd STILL be leading in pledged delegates, popular votes AND superdelegates.
Yup, math is a pretty reliable indicator in this regard.

Further, if the D primaries were being run under the same rules as the current R primaries, Sanders would be further behind than he is now, because some of the R primaries are winner-take-all and winner-take most - while the D rules ensure that even when Sanders comes in second, he still gets delegates.

Old 05-08-2016, 03:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RunD1987 View Post
One of the greatest leaders became the leader of South Africa at 76
He was a leader DECADES before he turned 76.

There's more to being a leader than being elected.

Old 05-08-2016, 03:36 PM

24,407 posts, read 26,964,842 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacqueg View Post
Ummmm, I think you're missing a step here. That's the one where Congress says yea or nay. My guess is that even more congress critters hate Trump than hate Obama.
I disagree, I think Trump is probably willing to negotiate a lot. Read his book the Art of Deal if you care enough or are curious. Obama had the Democrats controlling everything when he was first elected, the problem with Obama (and K voted for him twice) is he isn't a leader. He should have been taking the lead, creating a detailed plan and pushing it on Congress every day. If someone was holding it up or blocking his idea from getting a vote, I'm sure he would make it very public to the entire country, specifically which person. Obama only talks when he gives the state of the union and Congress doesn't want to work that way. Trump has ties with a lot of politicians both Democrat and Republican.

Old 05-08-2016, 03:49 PM

2,540 posts, read 2,756,982 times
Quote:
Bernie like many of his followers are too soft and don't understand you have to fight for what you want when the game is rigged against you. It's like when Bernie let the BLM members hijack his stage, Bernie supporters are letting the DNC hijack the election with super delegates.
Exactly what is this "hijacking" of which you speak? Hillary will become the presumptive nominee once she has reached 2,026 pledged delegates. The superdelegates will not need to "hijack" anything.

Old 05-08-2016, 06:22 PM

1,700 posts, read 1,045,836 times
LOL that is great, even Bernie fans should get a kick out of this.

For those who are wondering what this is about, google a movie called Weekend At Uncle Bernie's.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections