Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-13-2016, 03:34 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,821,377 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shankapotomus View Post
They could easily stop him by running as a third party candidate.

Split the vote and Trump is done.
and hand it to Hillary? This is the problem facing the party right how: stick with a medicine man that has fooled everyone or choose a third party candidate and lose for sure?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-13-2016, 03:34 PM

5,752 posts, read 2,786,139 times
Wait, wait, wait...you guys have it all backwards. It won't be the republicans putting forth a third party candidate, the third party candidate will be trump. Remember, the convention is a meeting of a private club. IF they can figure out some way to gerrymander the rules and put nominate a more establishment candidate, it will be trump looking from the outside in, not the other way 'round. IF they can screw trump, HE will be the one forced to mount an independent campaign. Would he do so knowing absolutely certain he could not win with a divided conservative vote? I say again, the republican #nevertrump crowd has a simple math problem before them...if they can work the math, trump goes. They will then count on the current crop of trump supporters to fade away in time and gather back in the faithful as they can. The next president will most likely have a recession on his/her hands since we have been in one of the longest growth patterns in some time. If they have that, and a coherent message in 2020, the may be able to make HRC a one term president.

Old 05-13-2016, 03:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by southward bound View Post
It's very interesting, and significant, to note that when the campaigns started Trump was put in the hot seat with demands that he promise to support the Republican nominee, whomever it may be.

He did that.

Now, some of them won't support him. Who, then, is a 'man (or woman) of their word' ?
Let's be honest; we have no idea what he would have done had he not been the winner. Chances are he would have run as a 3rd party. He as much as indicated that. The whole support thing was a joke from day one. Most everyone knew it.

Old 05-13-2016, 03:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewGuy2016 View Post
Running as a third party takes work - as you're not guaranteed to be on the ballot come November. It's taken decades for the Libertarian party to finally become the "third" party on all 50 state ballots, plus DC this November. Counting on people to write in a name - then counting on the election officials to do their due justice and count those write-ins...probably not a wise campaign plan either.
chances a 3rd party candidate was chosen now, he/she would easily be on every ballot.

Old 05-13-2016, 05:15 PM

5,381 posts, read 2,844,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbgusa View Post
That he is a person and an intellect of real quality. Certainly compared to the cheesy garbage represented by Shrillary and the Trumpster.
I have so much respect for you, I wish I could shake your hand! There are very few people on this forum, let alone in this world who are as honest as you are being. It gives me hope to see that there are people in this country that put our country before the party. I know that I am an active member of the Republican party and I am a Jew, but I can honestly say that if someone like Joe Lieberman was running against Donald, I would not question for one minute, voting for Lieberman over Donald.

Your post basically proves what has happened in politics in the last 50 years. The party politics have become so divisive and issue driven that voters no longer care about the character of the candidate they are voting for, or whether they have the skills and knowledge to do the job.

rep times infinity

#NeverTrump

Old 05-13-2016, 05:23 PM

5,381 posts, read 2,844,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CCbaxter View Post
Wait, wait, wait...you guys have it all backwards. It won't be the republicans putting forth a third party candidate, the third party candidate will be trump. Remember, the convention is a meeting of a private club. IF they can figure out some way to gerrymander the rules and put nominate a more establishment candidate, it will be trump looking from the outside in, not the other way 'round. IF they can screw trump, HE will be the one forced to mount an independent campaign. Would he do so knowing absolutely certain he could not win with a divided conservative vote? I say again, the republican #nevertrump crowd has a simple math problem before them...if they can work the math, trump goes. They will then count on the current crop of trump supporters to fade away in time and gather back in the faithful as they can. The next president will most likely have a recession on his/her hands since we have been in one of the longest growth patterns in some time. If they have that, and a coherent message in 2020, the may be able to make HRC a one term president.
The Republican party is a private ORGANIZATION, not a club. You don't "gerrymander" rules.

Do you even know what Robert's Rules of Order is? If not, you should educate yourself before trying to mock something you know nothing about. It makes you look simple.

And Donald is not a Republican, so why do you think the Republicans have any duty to nominate his as their candidate?

#NeverTrump

Old 05-13-2016, 05:27 PM

491 posts, read 320,151 times
I think it is for the best if conservatives do not field a third-party option, because then the Trumpettes will have a ready made excuse for why he lost the election. At this point in time, it is just best to let Trump's candidacy die a natural death.

I understand the argument for running a third-party candidate; namely, that such a candidacy will limit the down-ballot bloodbath for the GOP. However, I am hopeful that in 2018 the GOP will recoup the huge losses it suffers this year.

Old 05-13-2016, 08:47 PM

35,122 posts, read 17,071,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
and hand it to Hillary? This is the problem facing the party right how: stick with a medicine man that has fooled everyone or choose a third party candidate and lose for sure?
I'd rather do the latter. I don't want to violate Godwin's law but the world would be a far better place if timid German politicians didn't coalesce with Hitler, gambling that he'd pick them to be in his coalition. An electoral defeat would have served German and the world a lot better.

Old 05-13-2016, 11:09 PM

5,752 posts, read 2,786,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eye state your name View Post
The Republican party is a private ORGANIZATION, not a club. You don't "gerrymander" rules.

Do you even know what Robert's Rules of Order is? If not, you should educate yourself before trying to mock something you know nothing about. It makes you look simple.

And Donald is not a Republican, so why do you think the Republicans have any duty to nominate his as their candidate?

#NeverTrump
No, using cutesy emoticons makes you look simple. Crack open your thesaurus club and organization mean the same thing. Roberts rules of order only apply if the parties agree that they do. They don't occur organically or by default like gravity. And you last sentence actually agrees with my post so I don't get your point.

Old 05-14-2016, 11:06 AM

6,928 posts, read 5,912,571 times
Except for the Never Trump crowd, I was neutral about the Republicans who were upset with Trump winning. (The Never Trumpers are just gross and disgusting). I understand that people can be upset (heck, I liked Cruz. And of course, as a conservative Republican, I have long been accustomed to being disappointed by my party on a regular basis).

But now, unless the disappointed Republicans come around and support our nominee, I am lumping them all in with the Never Trumpers. To wit, I LOATHE them as much as possible. Their whining and nastiness just don't seem to be abating. God, the Trump bashers in the GOP are gross, disgusting people. Just fowl, nasty people.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections