Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-11-2016, 10:48 AM

20,160 posts, read 12,763,707 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAMS14 View Post
No, an increase in the top one percent's taxes. I can live with that.
Only the Dems will believe that. We will be running out of top 1%.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-11-2016, 10:52 AM

18,983 posts, read 9,078,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
That policy is subsidized by your employer, don't you understand that? It has nothing to do with your healthy lifestyle, your employer kicks in a pile of money so that you only have to pay $100 a month
It cracks me up that people who get employer-based insurance don't get that they are being subsided by the company, who, in turn, is subsidized by the federal government for offering insurance. But people getting their subsidy through exchanges instead of through their employers--ONLY THEY are moochers.

It's willful ignorance that allows them to maintain the delusion that they are not every bit as much a moocher as those who go through the exchanges to get their subsidies.

Old 05-11-2016, 10:54 AM

18,983 posts, read 9,078,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewbieHere View Post
Only the Dems will believe that. We will be running out of top 1%.
The top one percent hold over 40% of this nation's wealth. I think they will survive a tax increase.

Old 05-11-2016, 10:57 AM

12,772 posts, read 7,979,187 times
Quote:
That policy is subsidized by your employer, don't you understand that? It has nothing to do with your healthy lifestyle, your employer kicks in a pile of money so that you only have to pay $100 a month
Of course I 100% understand that since my company reports the overall cost of my plan and because I understand how these things work in general. Are you annoyed that I get good and inexpensive from my employer that I would like to keep?

My healthy lifestyle is to prevent me from having to use the plan now to avoid deductibles, but more importantly to avoid / reduce expenses later in life. I hope to be one of the lucky people that avoids the cost of things like heart medications, diabetes, and cancer which obviously get VERY costly.

Old 05-11-2016, 10:59 AM

12,772 posts, read 7,979,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JAMS14 View Post
It cracks me up that people who get employer-based insurance don't get that they are being subsided by the company, who, in turn, is subsidized by the federal government for offering insurance. But people getting their subsidy through exchanges instead of through their employers--ONLY THEY are moochers.

It's willful ignorance that allows them to maintain the delusion that they are not every bit as much a moocher as those who go through the exchanges to get their subsidies.
Incorrect, I fully understand how it works, so continue being cracked up by your own ignorance. Certainly not a "moocher" since my company pays for it as part of my negotiated compensation plan.

Old 05-11-2016, 11:00 AM

3,841 posts, read 1,979,511 times
Quote:
And your father never bothered to get a medi-gap or medicare advantage policy that would have covered that 20% ? I find that hard to believe.
He was not on Medicare at the time of transplant. He was under the age. He had his own health care insurance, the same he had for years. He did pay whatever was owed after insurance paid what they were supposed to, per his plan, as that was his responsibility. My point was, when turning age to get medicare he saw a "medical insurance planner" and was told that medicare will not cover his future costs and he had to buy supplemental policies. Now, if he was on Medicare at the time, he most likely would not have been eligible for the transplant if he did not have additional funds to pay. He had to go through very thorough financial screening prior to be listed to make sure anything not paid by insurance can be paid by patient. This may not be at all hospitals but it was a Columbia Pres in NYC. My father is lucky that he has done very well in his life and could afford all of this.

Old 05-11-2016, 12:01 PM

42,850 posts, read 26,285,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by t206 View Post
Of course I 100% understand that since my company reports the overall cost of my plan and because I understand how these things work in general.
Sorry but that makes no sense since in your post, your next statement was:
Quote:
Why should I pay more because it gets expensive for families or for other people? I fully expect to pay more when I'm older and have some inevitable issues that all older people encounter, which is also why I focus on saving as much $ as I can in my retirement accounts.
You seem to be inferring that your low premium exists because you are not subsidizing 'other people'. But you are, your employers group health premium is influenced by the insurers overall costs including the care of those pesky 'other people'.

Old 05-11-2016, 12:11 PM

42,850 posts, read 26,285,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lisanicole1 View Post
He was not on Medicare at the time of transplant. He was under the age. He had his own health care insurance, the same he had for years. He did pay whatever was owed after insurance paid what they were supposed to, per his plan, as that was his responsibility. My point was, when turning age to get medicare he saw a "medical insurance planner" and was told that medicare will not cover his future costs and he had to buy supplemental policies. Now, if he was on Medicare at the time, he most likely would not have been eligible for the transplant if he did not have additional funds to pay. He had to go through very thorough financial screening prior to be listed to make sure anything not paid by insurance can be paid by patient. This may not be at all hospitals but it was a Columbia Pres in NYC. My father is lucky that he has done very well in his life and could afford all of this.
Everyone I have ever talked to understands that medicare part B only covers 80% of your medical bills. You can get a medicare advantage plan in most areas for no monthly premium, or you can get a very good medi-gap policy for $150-$200 a month. Your gripe seems to be that since your father payed into medicare, he should have 100% free healthcare, no co-pays, no deductibles, nada. I just do not see the logic that would lead you to that conclusion

Old 05-11-2016, 12:16 PM

9,911 posts, read 7,702,289 times
Hillary will get my vote if she repeal the ACA for Universal Health Care

Old 05-11-2016, 12:16 PM

3,841 posts, read 1,979,511 times
Quote:
Everyone I have ever talked to understands that medicare part B only covers 80% of your medical bills. You can get a medicare advantage plan in most areas for no monthly premium, or you can get a very good medi-gap policy for $150-$200 a month. Your gripe seems to be that since your father payed into medicare, he should have 100% free healthcare, no co-pays, no deductibles, nada. I just do not see the logic that would lead you to that conclusion
No, I never said that I expected him to get 100% free healthcare. I was just pointing out that in most cases Medicare alone does not cover a person enough so supplemental policies need to be purchased. That was my point. BTW: My father pays much more than 200 per month for his additional insurance. Maybe it differs state by state and case by case. I have no idea. All I know is that Medicare alone is not enough for seniors when they get sick.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections