Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-22-2016, 11:34 PM

37,825 posts, read 41,158,528 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigpicture View Post
I'd vote for a conscientious objector any day over a "chicken hawk" like trump.

At least a conscientious objector is thinking, and knows that war is a very serious thing. He doesn't want to kill or be killed over what he regards as bullsh_t. He doesn't want that for your kids either.

...And if bernie was a conscientious objector, that is exactly consistent with his record to this day -- e.g. his opposition to Bush's disastrous "mission accomplished" debacle, and his proposals to focus less funding on the military-industrial complex and more funding on our crumbling bridges, education system, healthcare, etc.

How about trump's consistency? "Bone spurs" deferment for the self-described "most militaristic guy you'll ever know".

...As obviously a "chickenhawk" as he is a con artist.

And the closest Trump's SONS will ever come to serving in the military is shooting a helpless elephant, cutting off its tail and posing with it, like a tough guy. His sons live as cushy a life as he does, though trump is the "most militaristic guy you'll ever know", ready to send YOUR SONS (& daughters) to die... (not to mention willfully killing noncombatants, like the families of terrorists).

To all the people who embrace this obviously stupid con-artist as your "hope," it says something deep about you, your intellect and character.
Hey, I thought it was funny that back in the late 1960s/early 1970s Bernie Sanders was "too old" for something. Here's $5. Buy a sense of humor.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-22-2016, 11:51 PM

10,829 posts, read 5,460,818 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by legalsea View Post
I have no doubt that Mr. Trump's father was able to spend money to obtain a medical deferment for his son. It was how it was done. Find a friendly MD, and you were fixed.
That might be true, but you don't know that it is.

Now tell us about Hillary, Bill and Obama's great "service" to their country.

Old 05-22-2016, 11:54 PM

1,229 posts, read 862,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emanresu1 View Post
His campaign said that he received the medical deferments because he had bone spurs in his feet...which didn't stop him from playing college sports.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/world...9f4_story.html

I'm wondering how many posting in this thread would follow the rules today and do what they're told if Barky and Congress reinstituted the draft and wanted to send troops into Syria or a place like Yemen?

Knowing what I know today.....I'd flash them the middle finger and let them put zip ties on my wrists and lead me to jail.

I consider those who evaded the draft to be very smart....noble individuals.

If you know something's crooked and completely unethical, who gives a chit if 450 or so bald, pot-bellied men and an Oreo cookie insist that you follow their orders regardless......

Old 05-23-2016, 12:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post
“My question as a Vietnam veteran is: How on earth could a person claiming to be a conscientious objector become the commander in chief of the most powerful military in the world?”
Good question.

I remember draft boards during the Vietnam War would ask conscientious objectors if they would refuse to defend their wives, mothers or sisters from rapists and killers.

If you didn't say you would refuse, you didn't get CO status.

Just being against the war in Vietnam was not enough to get you classified as a CO.

You had to be a complete pacifist.

Bernie either lied when he claimed to be a CO, or he would be a president who refused to defend this country if it was attacked.

Quote:
Originally Posted by texan2yankee View Post
Someone said W. Bush was in the military. He was in the national guard.

"George W. Bush joined the 147th Fighter Interceptor Group of the Texas Air National Guard on May 27, 1968, during the Vietnam War. He committed to serve until May 26, 1974, with two years on active duty while training to fly and four years on part-time duty."
Plenty of national guard troops have been called to do repeated tours of duty in Iraq and Afghanistan.

The same thing could have happened to Bush during the Vietnam War.

Quote:
I'd vote for a conscientious objector any day over a "chicken hawk" like trump.
In what way is Trump a hawk?

He was against the Iraq War, and he has said that he doesn't want constant wars the way we've been having them under both Republicans and Democrats.

Quote:
How about trump's consistency? "Bone spurs" deferment for the self-described "most militaristic guy you'll ever know".
If you bothered to listen to him, you would know that his "militarism" simply means having a strong enough military that no enemy would even think of attacking us.

What's wrong with that?

Quote:
As obviously a "chickenhawk" as he is a con artist.

And the closest Trump's SONS will ever come to serving in the military is shooting a helpless elephant, cutting off its tail and posing with it, like a tough guy. His sons live as cushy a life as he does, though trump is the "most militaristic guy you'll ever know", ready to send YOUR SONS (& daughters) to die... (not to mention willfully killing noncombatants, like the families of terrorists).

To all the people who embrace this obviously stupid con-artist as your "hope," it says something deep about you, your intellect and character.
You sound upset.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BOS2IAD View Post
Yes, you are correct. IIRC, she even claimed to have visited a recruiting office, though there is no record of her having done so.
Probably just another lie of hers, like her claim that she had to duck bullets when she visited Bosnia.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobtHansen View Post
I think questions linger about the intelligence of these leftwing loons.
Me, too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post
Hey, I thought it was funny that back in the late 1960s/early 1970s Bernie Sanders was "too old" for something. Here's $5. Buy a sense of humor.
I have my doubts about him being "too old."

He's 74 now. So in 1960, he would have been 18.

In 1965 when the draft was really ramped up, he would have been 23.

In 1971, the last year large numbers of people were drafted to go to Vietnam, he would have been 29.

Age-wise, he was perfectly eligible to be drafted.

Old 05-23-2016, 12:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by At-Chilles View Post
I'm wondering how many posting in this thread would follow the rules today and do what they're told if Barky and Congress reinstituted the draft and wanted to send troops into Syria or a place like Yemen?

Knowing what I know today.....I'd flash them the middle finger and let them put zip ties on my wrists and lead me to jail.

I consider those who evaded the draft to be very smart....noble individuals.

If you know something's crooked and completely unethical, who gives a chit if 450 or so bald, pot-bellied men and an Oreo cookie insist that you follow their orders regardless......
I agree with you.

I admire both the people who served and those who refused or tried to get out of it.

The Vietnam War was a fraud perpetrated on the American people by their politicians -- just like every other war we've fought since WW II.

But I understand that a lot of people at the time were strongly patriotic and inclined to give those politicians the benefit of the doubt.

Old 05-23-2016, 12:37 AM

Quote:
This guy writes insulting post after insulting post (a full 12 IN A ROW in this thread) and the mods do nothing about it.

The mods are veeeery selective here about who and what they censor.
This entire thread is based on an insult and a deliberate lie.

Old 05-23-2016, 12:46 AM

617 posts, read 350,878 times
Of course, it's a lie. That's what they do. So did Hitler, Stalin, Mao, Castro, and on and on. It's what leftists do.

Old 05-23-2016, 12:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobtHansen View Post
Of course, it's a lie. That's what they do. So did Hitler, Stalin, Mao, Castro, and on and on. It's what leftists do.
Exactly!

Old 05-23-2016, 04:24 AM

27,798 posts, read 32,582,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dechatelet View Post
So we should do nothing about ISIS?

I guess not, since you apparently support them.
Support ISIS? You seriously accuse the poster of this? Not only off topic, but completely ridiculous.

Old 05-23-2016, 04:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BucFan View Post
Support ISIS? You seriously accuse the poster of this? Not only off topic, but completely ridiculous.
He doesn't like people being sent off to war, unless they are sent by presidents he approves of.

I guess I can sympathize to an extent.

Just like me, he disapproves of draft-dodging presidents.

I ALSO disapprove of Bill Clinton.

But ISIS has to be dealt with regardless....

Don't you agree?

Last edited by dechatelet; 05-23-2016 at 04:39 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections