Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-26-2016, 07:30 PM

29,518 posts, read 22,661,647 times

Advertisements

Is it just me, or does anyone else find it annoying when some people proclaim that they'll vote for a certain political candidate just because, in their words, they want to 'spite' and annoy the haters.

For example, some people feel a sense of guilt over openly supporting a controversial candidate on this forum (due to controversy involved).

So instead of proudly and openly declaring their support for this candidate on its own merits, instead they'll shift the 'blame' of supporting/voting for the candidate onto the opposition.

How weak is that?

Never have I stated anywhere that I'd vote for a candidate only because those that oppose that candidate were annoying and it's my way of getting back at them. So childish and easy to see through.

Take this year's election.

I have no problems voting for Donald Trump. I don't feel guilty about it and feel no need to 'justify' it to anyone else. It's his policies and his presence I like. If others want to vote for Hillary Clinton if she gets the Dem nod, hey, good for you. Unlike some here, I never hold it against another person their political view, who they vote for, none of that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-26-2016, 07:33 PM

617 posts, read 349,231 times
I'm enthusiastically supporting Trump, he was not only the cream of the republican crop, he is EXACTLY what America needs to recover from the absolute horror of the obama years which has torn American down to depths none of us really imagined in 2008.

Old 05-27-2016, 10:02 AM

5,381 posts, read 2,841,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban_Guy View Post
Is it just me, or does anyone else find it annoying when some people proclaim that they'll vote for a certain political candidate just because, in their words, they want to 'spite' and annoy the haters.

For example, some people feel a sense of guilt over openly supporting a controversial candidate on this forum (due to controversy involved).

So instead of proudly and openly declaring their support for this candidate on its own merits, instead they'll shift the 'blame' of supporting/voting for the candidate onto the opposition.

How weak is that?

Never have I stated anywhere that I'd vote for a candidate only because those that oppose that candidate were annoying and it's my way of getting back at them. So childish and easy to see through.

Take this year's election.

I have no problems voting for Donald Trump. I don't feel guilty about it and feel no need to 'justify' it to anyone else. It's his policies and his presence I like. If others want to vote for Hillary Clinton if she gets the Dem nod, hey, good for you. Unlike some here, I never hold it against another person their political view, who they vote for, none of that.
I agree with you that using your vote out of SPITE is immature and pointless. How can you claim you are principled if you are willing to vote for the opposition FOR ANY REASON. I think those people who say they will actively vote for Hillary to spite Trump and vise versa are proving that they have no principles when it comes to choosing a Presidential candidate.

I am also annoyed by those people that lecture others that failure to vote for the candidate they support is a vote for the opposition. I find the people who feel entitled to your vote, merely because of your party affiliation, to be the most annoying types. They scapegoat you for the ultimate failure of their candidate. They use the tactic you speak of to demean and bully votes from others. Those are the "nose holding," reluctant voters who have been guilted or bullied into giving up their vote.

I'm with you when it comes to letting people vote for whomever they choose, but when it is nothing but a vote out of spite, it is annoying!

Old 05-27-2016, 10:04 AM

1,100 posts, read 633,988 times
oui

Old 05-27-2016, 10:21 AM

33,942 posts, read 22,532,112 times
I have never voted out of spite for anyone. I really don't think that drives people to the polls much.

Old 05-27-2016, 10:41 AM

4,863 posts, read 6,929,879 times
I'm enthusiastically voting AGAINST Hillary Clinton. I'm not a huge Trump fan, but to me the alternative is overwhelmingly disgusting. My vote has nothing to do with spite against anyone else.

Old 05-27-2016, 10:43 AM

2,643 posts, read 2,443,847 times
Generally when people vote for a candidate that ends up being a complete disaster, like Bush, they spin it in their minds that it was actually someone elses fault

If Trump gets in and ends up being a total disaster, you'll see people on CD saying its the Democrats fault, or the GOP elite's fault, etc.. etc..

Old 05-27-2016, 10:44 AM

6,732 posts, read 5,174,956 times
Some people are just slaves to a political party or their own vivid imagination.

1,100 posts, read 633,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATG5 View Post
Some people are just slaves to a political party or their own vivid imagination.

Agreed.

23,977 posts, read 15,086,618 times
I think I will be one of those voters.

Cannot stand either candidate. Could not stand it when Billary went on 60 Minutes and vetted her straying husband to world. Told us all there had been problems but it was all resolved now. She brought us Monica.

That said, even though I was tilting Trump, his backtracking mouth just makes me cringe.

Billary it will be. Spite ,maybe. Lesser of the 2 evils, maybe.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections