Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-27-2016, 04:29 PM

5,273 posts, read 14,546,807 times

Advertisements

Generally the President is chosen by the independents- of which I am a proud card carrying member.

I belong to a local group of about 75 registered independents and we have a small private board set up. About 1 month ago it was leaning toward Trump, but now has swung to Clinton by a small margin. Now, to be sure, this represents a tiny amount of people and only in a 2 state area. But it seems the 2016 hold your nose and vote may go left this time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2016, 04:30 PM

3,251 posts, read 2,554,212 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BLAZER PROPHET View Post
Generally the President is chosen by the independents- of which I am a proud card carrying member.

I belong to a local group of about 75 registered independents and we have a small private board set up. About 1 month ago it was leaning toward Trump, but now has swung to Clinton by a small margin. Now, to be sure, this represents a tiny amount of people and only in a 2 state area. But it seems the 2016 hold your nose and vote may go left this time.
No 3rd party considerations?

Old 06-27-2016, 04:30 PM

27,798 posts, read 32,448,899 times
Independent as well, but haven't seen any sort of union like you describe here in FL.

Old 06-27-2016, 04:35 PM

5,273 posts, read 14,546,807 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheesesteak Cravings View Post
No 3rd party considerations?

No, because none have committed. As to Libertarian, Green.... I think Libertarian has a couple of votes.

Old 06-27-2016, 11:16 PM

9,911 posts, read 7,699,445 times
I was Independent I switched last year in December so I could vote in my States primary for Bernie. After the DNC convention I will switch back to Independent and vote for Johnson in the General Election.

Old 06-28-2016, 05:32 AM

9,367 posts, read 14,313,867 times
Quote:
Generally the President is chosen by the independents - of which I am a proud card carrying member.

Yes, independents sometimes rule in the sense that they can tip the balance. I haven't been totally dismayed by the results in 1994, 2010, 2012 and 2014, for example.

Kudos for making the effort to organize.

I am dismayed, however, about this apparently dualistic thinking.

Life is not necessarily reduced to a simplistic either/or proposition.

In detail, elections are every two years in the United States. Usually the ballot is several pages long, at least in my district.

When it comes to electing people to put into office, I see names. I see names. I also see, incidentally, tiny little letters or a few words next to their names notating some so-called political party or affiliation. I do not see anything about "left" or "right". What are their names? Where do they live?

Every four years there is a relatively tiny section to elect the US president, and even this section is usually at least several names long and also often includes a write-in option.

Every option has some value, until it expires.

The ballot, every two years, is actually a very sophisticated and flexible instrument that can be used in so many alternative and alternating ways to achieve different purposes as they shift from time to time.

Dualistic thinking is often stupid.

Good Luck!

Old 06-28-2016, 05:36 AM

34,300 posts, read 15,652,035 times
Quote:

Maybe you could answer some questions I have. In your statement it appears your group was decidedly in the middle. Leaned toward Trump and now leans towards crooked Hillary. Then you state the hold your nose vote may go to Hillary 2016.

Why did it leant toward trump do you think ?

What do you credit the lean now toward crooked Hillary ?

Why with so much time and so many events yet to play out do you think it wouldn't swing again, once ,or several times ?

Old 06-28-2016, 05:38 AM

18,773 posts, read 18,145,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RunD1987 View Post
I was Independent I switched last year in December so I could vote in my States primary for Bernie. After the DNC convention I will switch back to Independent and vote for Johnson in the General Election.
My wife and I were also Independents that switched for Trump. We will switch back if Trump does not get elected.

Old 06-28-2016, 05:50 AM

11,110 posts, read 9,814,649 times
Quote:
In 2012, Romney won independents, both nationwide and in numerous critical swing states that he lost - such as Ohio, Virginia, Colorado, Nevada and Pennsylvania (the latter isn't really a swing state, but it is a state that Republicans delude themselves into thinking is within their reach every single election).

Romney Won Independents

Also, most self-styled independents really aren't - mostly, they're just the "I'm a deep-thinker who is too cool to identify with a party!" sort who nonetheless vote overwhelmingly or entirely for one party over the other. Their self-applied 'independent' label isn't a reflection of reality but merely a status symbol they love to show off.

The Myth of the Independent Voter

Old 06-28-2016, 06:31 AM

5,725 posts, read 11,717,779 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RunD1987 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by fisheye View Post
My wife and I were also Independents that switched for Trump. We will switch back if Trump does not get elected.
Why wait? Being independent doesn't mean you can't vote for whoever you want in the general election.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections