Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-01-2016, 11:10 AM

13,870 posts, read 5,074,501 times

Advertisements

Three points about globalism:

1. Globalism is good for America. Yeah, we lose some low-paying factory jobs, but in return we gain access to world markets to sell our stuff, and benefit from cheap prices on foreign goods. All of you people who rail against globalism better be prepared to pay 2-3 times more than you currently do for things like clothing, electronics and cars.

2. Globalism is inevitable. The genie can't be put back into the bottle, unless you want to turn the US into North Korea. Instead of fighting it, why not try to adapt so that we can gain maximum benefit?

3. Trump is a bag of hot air. Most of what he says he would do, he wouldn't really want to do, and couldn't do even if he wanted. He seems to promise to put us in a time machine and set the dial for 1955. It ain't happening, folks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-01-2016, 11:14 AM

38,695 posts, read 26,502,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beb0p View Post
It is this type of thinking - based purely on emotion backed by very little facts that can best explain the rise of Donald Trump.

Fact: Globalism is unavoidable and US is winning it; and the only way to solve illegal immigration south o the border is to help Mexico raise their standard of living.

Anything else like tariffs, ban, wall, are just idiotic ideas from an idiotic party.

Thank you Bill Clinton!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eTgyDFmaa5E

Old 07-01-2016, 11:16 AM

38,695 posts, read 26,502,342 times

Was your point that criminals don't obey gun laws?

Old 07-01-2016, 11:25 AM

29,885 posts, read 14,927,285 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo58 View Post
Three points about globalism:

1. Globalism is good for America. Yeah, we lose some low-paying factory jobs, but in return we gain access to world markets to sell our stuff, and benefit from cheap prices on foreign goods. All of you people who rail against globalism better be prepared to pay 2-3 times more than you currently do for things like clothing, electronics and cars.

2. Globalism is inevitable. The genie can't be put back into the bottle, unless you want to turn the US into North Korea. Instead of fighting it, why not try to adapt so that we can gain maximum benefit?

3. Trump is a bag of hot air. Most of what he says he would do, he wouldn't really want to do, and couldn't do even if he wanted. He seems to promise to put us in a time machine and set the dial for 1955. It ain't happening, folks!

I think you forgot to add, Designers, Engineers, Programmers, and many other people that have lost jobs. The factory jobs are the smallest portion that got hit by globalism. And the fact that you think that is laughable. We've lost entire trades to it... Tool and Die, and Mold Making are some of them, there are many more. Globalism did nothing but destroy the middle class and helped the corporations profit. They aren't to blame though, our government paving the way for them is to blame.

I remember when it all started in my profession. Some of the young college kids kept telling us how great it is, and we need to adapt....wonder how some of them are doing now ? Huge debt from student loans and making minimum wage at the local coffee shop...bet they aren't buying into the global thing now.
Look at many of the low cost countries we offshored too are developing middle classes. Yeah, globalism was good for those at the bottom, bad when you are at the top.

You are right about one thing, I don't see it changing. In fact , if HRC gets elected it will be worse.

And I have no problem , spending two or three times more for American made items. It isn't always easy though.

Old 07-01-2016, 12:32 PM

13,711 posts, read 9,279,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momonkey View Post
Was your point that criminals don't obey gun laws?

Criminals want guns.

And we are giving them guns.

Old 07-01-2016, 12:42 PM

13,711 posts, read 9,279,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scarabchuck View Post
I'm not saying it doesn't happen, eliminate the ones coming from the U.S. and they will go elsewhere. It isn't like they don't have the money. Although, from many of the news clips I've seen they seem to like full auto firearms. That isn't something they can get easily from here. Just saying.

I think you are wrong in your theory that it would help Mexico out though.

70% of guns confiscated from the cartel came from USA.

70%. That's not a typo.

GAO: 70% of Firearms Seized in Mexico Came From USA

Why are they buying this many guns from us if they can go elsewhere? Because our guns are very easy to get. If we eliminate this option for them, they will still get guns but it will be a much more difficult route of obtainment. That could potentially places a choke hold on the cartel's demand for new guns or at least make guns scarcer, which would reduce gun violence, make guns more expensive in the black market, harder to get and reduce the fire power of the cartel. It will make the streets safer and gives the law enforcer an upper hand.

Talk to the illegals and many will tell you that when seeing someone gunned down on your street is a weekly ritual, and when every street in your country is like that (except for area that you can't afford), you'd pack up and move across the border too. Illegal or not.

Old 07-01-2016, 01:24 PM

20,548 posts, read 17,859,405 times
Most Americans are too dumb to realize that while we are globalists that we want to trade with others for cheaper goods and services. That does not mean our partners are globalists.

Japan and China are not globalists. Americans have no clue how hard it is to export US goods into Japan and China.

Our trading partners do not open their markets to us while they continue to dump cheap goods on our soil.

We have a global trading problem today that we are losing our competitive trading advantage because the other countries continue to force us to buy more of their goods.

Anyone that studies economics and look at the trading imbalances will say that we will lose all of our gold eventually.

Old 07-01-2016, 02:29 PM

56,966 posts, read 35,339,100 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PullMyFinger View Post
The American public is very simple minded. How many times has Reagan gotten the credit for freeing the hostages in Iran when in reality Carter did all the work, and the Iranians simply would not free them until Carter was out because of the Shah of Iran getting medical treatment in the US?

What I remember is the Air Traffic Controllers getting fired while they were out on a completely legal strike due to forced OT and bad work rules.

So Reagan, was never my guy and I hated his wife even more.
Gotcha.

BTW...a bunch of people applauded his firing of the ATCO workers. I was a high schooler, but my dad told me RIGHT THEN that Reagan would be the beginning of the end of the good times for working class people. He said it so matter of factly that I kinda dismissed it as trite ranting.

My dad...that guy saw the whole picture right from the beginning.

Old 07-01-2016, 02:31 PM

56,966 posts, read 35,339,100 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vision33r View Post
Most Americans are too dumb to realize that while we are globalists that we want to trade with others for cheaper goods and services. That does not mean our partners are globalists.

Japan and China are not globalists. Americans have no clue how hard it is to export US goods into Japan and China.

Our trading partners do not open their markets to us while they continue to dump cheap goods on our soil.

We have a global trading problem today that we are losing our competitive trading advantage because the other countries continue to force us to buy more of their goods.

Anyone that studies economics and look at the trading imbalances will say that we will lose all of our gold eventually.
Ross Perot said ALL OF THIS in '91. No one cared to listen. I wish I had.

Old 07-01-2016, 02:41 PM

28,737 posts, read 18,978,848 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
Ross Perot said ALL OF THIS in '91. No one cared to listen. I wish I had.
If you'll recall, European workers were even rioting over this issue back then.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections