Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-25-2016, 10:53 AM

7,800 posts, read 10,108,790 times

Advertisements

Republicans’ Voter Registration Gains Probably Aren’t Gains At All | FiveThirtyEight
Quote:
Party registration can often be a lagging, rather than leading, indicator. As southern states, Florida and North Carolina are home to large numbers of registered Democrats who have nonetheless already been voting Republican for years. The same is true of many working-class, union Democrats in Pennsylvania and Iowa. So are pro-GOP shifts there part of an ongoing long-term cultural realignment or an emerging Trump tsunami?

Examining the trends in these states under a microscope reveals that what’s happening is more a mix of party switching, natural replacement and removal of inactive Democratic voters from the rolls than a feverish Trump effort to expand the electorate. And in the Politico piece mentioned earlier, Ben Schreckinger acknowledges that Democrats have made voter registration gains recently in Arizona, Colorado and Nevada, all formerly GOP-leaning western states with fast-growing Latino populations.

There’s no doubt Trump compelled hundreds of thousands of conservative voters to switch their registrations to Republican to vote for him in closed primaries, accelerating these voters’ exodus from formal Democratic affiliation. But do they constitute a surge of new November voters? Not so much. It’s likely that most of these party switchers were already voting Republican.
538 sums up what I have been saying for months, Trump is only accelerating long term trends. These newly registered Republicans are mainly Democrats who have already been voting Republican in general elections for years. Remember, it's the modern GOP that appeals to their ignorance, lack of education, and fear of minorities/immigrants.

The bad news? These people will be able to influence future GOP primaries and make it harder for the party to pivot towards a platform that takes the realities of the 21st century into account
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-25-2016, 11:02 AM

13,898 posts, read 6,446,965 times
ummm, obviously not in the primaries if they had to switch. The modern GOPe is doomed and I love it, it needs to be done away with, they are corrupt worthless blowhards.

Old 08-25-2016, 11:07 AM

14,204 posts, read 12,284,457 times
Yeah, it was pretty obvious that he wasn't winning new supporters.

Old 08-25-2016, 11:26 AM

13,898 posts, read 6,446,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ~HecateWhisperCat~ View Post
Yeah, it was pretty obvious that he wasn't winning new supporters.
yeah, it was obvious. lmao..That's why people registered as R to vote for him in the primary.

Old 08-25-2016, 02:09 PM

7,800 posts, read 10,108,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dbones View Post
yeah, it was obvious. lmao..That's why people registered as R to vote for him in the primary.
Read the article, it explains what is going on regarding the supposed "new voters" of Trump lore.

Old 08-25-2016, 10:20 PM

29,219 posts, read 22,371,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WIHS2006 View Post
Republicans’ Voter Registration Gains Probably Aren’t Gains At All | FiveThirtyEight

538 sums up what I have been saying for months, Trump is only accelerating long term trends. These newly registered Republicans are mainly Democrats who have already been voting Republican in general elections for years. Remember, it's the modern GOP that appeals to their ignorance, lack of education, and fear of minorities/immigrants.

The bad news? These people will be able to influence future GOP primaries and make it harder for the party to pivot towards a platform that takes the realities of the 21st century into account
Yup. The closed primaries have a way of stacking the deck to make it look like another ace is on top.

I had to register as a Republican 6 years ago so I could have the choice of voting for one Republican or another in my state and local elections. Most don't have any Democratic opposition here, and I've never voted a straight ticket in my life when I had a 2-party choice.

I know at least a dozen others who were forced into the same choice when the Republican primaries were closed after 90 years of being open.

Another consequence of the closed primary here was the acceleration of the Republican party split, which is as bad it it gets in Idaho.

Old 08-26-2016, 06:47 AM

25,961 posts, read 22,126,936 times
The GOP passed away in the last two elections, now the Democratic Party is being beat with a stick trying to finish it off since they refused to do the right thing and concentrated on doing the wrong things, again and again and again.

Trump represents the new GOP party and if he goes down, there is no GOP going forward. The people spoke and said it was time for a change. Trump beat out 16 other candidates and the most solid Republican, Bush, never got out of the starting gate.

I think more and more people are getting away from voting for a "party" and are looking at the candidates. Good for Trump, not good for his competition (really no competition at all).

I am in a state that makes you choose either Dem or GOP for the primary. It is very irritating. I have switched a few times. Often I really support a local candidate in a close race where party really isn't in play at all, so I switch based on that one candidate.

I think many did exactly what "Diamond and Silk" were promoting "Ditch and Switch". Time will tell.

So, Republican Party on life support before Trump. If Trump doesn't win, Rep Party dies. Democratic Party needs to be beat with a stick and its dead carcass pulled out of the way for a new emerging party, most likely a modified version of what Bernie was promoting. "Out with the old! In with the new!"

Old 08-26-2016, 06:57 AM

34,300 posts, read 15,656,546 times
Nigel Farage : "Remember, anything is possible if enough decent people are prepared to stand up against the establishment. You can beat the pollsters, you can beat the commentators, you can beat Washington."

Donald Trump can beat polls, UKIP's Nigel Farage tells rally - BBC News

Old 08-26-2016, 07:00 AM

79,907 posts, read 44,210,872 times
There’s no doubt Trump compelled hundreds of thousands of conservative voters to switch their registrations to Republican to vote for him in closed primaries.

Hundreds of thousands of "conservative voters" were up until this election registered as Democrats? I don't think so.

Old 08-26-2016, 07:33 AM

6,752 posts, read 3,370,331 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dbones View Post
... they are corrupt worthless blowhards.
How can anyone say that with a straight face? Do you also believe Hillary Clinton is the fairy godmother and that she'll sprinkle pixie dust on the country and make it all better?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections