Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-21-2008, 11:11 AM

146 posts, read 300,837 times

Advertisements

There are numerous possibilities. Huckabee is looking like less and less of a good idea, but he can bring greater support in the South. Romney could help McCain mend some fences with the Conservative core of the Republican Party, but Romney may not have him and McCain may not want him.

There are quite a number of options. Does anyone have an idea who McCain might choose as a running mate.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2008, 11:28 AM

1,999 posts, read 1,662,034 times
I am going with Jack Kemp ??

Old 02-21-2008, 12:08 PM

9,358 posts, read 14,301,405 times
I remember Jack Kemp from the 1980s. Is he still alive? I liked him, remembered him as a fiscal conservative (what's that?), but wouldn't he be somewhat elderly by now?

I believe that McCain needs a younger running mate, possibly a southerner, slightly to the "right" of him but not a religious lunatic (with all due respect).

Old 02-21-2008, 12:55 PM

9,725 posts, read 15,167,548 times
I don't really know much about Republican politicians but I think he'll pick someone moderate who won't rock the boat too much. He might pick a fiscal "economic" type person (since he really doesn't need someone with a military/security background) and that could be Romney or someone like him.

Old 02-21-2008, 01:25 PM

2,643 posts, read 2,442,691 times
satan would be cool

Old 02-21-2008, 01:32 PM

5,238 posts, read 8,790,694 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lkm370 View Post
satan would be cool
I think Cheney is ready to retire and go on to hunting and eating small babies in South Dakota.

Are their term limits on the VP?

Old 02-21-2008, 01:33 PM

11,578 posts, read 13,944,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lkm370 View Post
satan would be cool

I don't think Bill Clinton is eligible and Hillary is still in the race.

Old 02-21-2008, 01:42 PM
LM1

833 posts, read 997,953 times
If I were making book, I wouldn't offer too high a spread against Mel Martinez (+ Florida, + Hispanic, + "Minority In General" , three critical components to any Presidential election)

Either him, or Huckabee. (+ Conservative Base) seem like likely candidates, however, an "Ohio Oriented" candidate might also work too.

Old 02-21-2008, 02:25 PM

146 posts, read 300,837 times
I think Huckabee is proving to be very unwise and stubborn for no reason whatsoever. It hurts his resume for applying for VP. It's also hurting the image of the Republican Party. Also, while the Republicans embrace Evangelical Christianity, they're going to want to avoid the PR fallout of electing someone like Huckabee. A former minister sounds nice and all, but there is so much controversy and interdenominational fighting within Christianity, that I think the Republican's would be wise to continue to embrace them from a distance. Huckabee is the only Republican candidate in 100 years that stood a decent chance of losing the vote of Utah and surrounding states, had he been nominated. Baptists have a bad habit of attacking Mormons and just about any other religion that doesn't agree with them. "Baptist Minister" will have a lot of people thinking, "Oh crap, what if McCain dies and this theocratic nut becomes President?" Mind you that's not necessarily what I think of him, but it's the likely reaction of many.

Romney likely wouldn't want to be his VP. He is more popular among the conservative base of the party, which should mend a few fences for McCain. He's also much more dedicated to keep his religious life and his political life separate than someone like Huckabee.

Mel Martinez brings obviously brings a lot to the table and might be the best overall choice.

No doubt there are a lot of other people out there who would work too.

Old 02-21-2008, 02:31 PM

2,684 posts, read 6,885,366 times
Louisiana Governor, Bobby Jindal, He's a conservative, a southerner, and a minority (since apparently affirmative action has entered presidential politics). Of course he gave the speel on TV about McCain isn't gonna ask him, and he doesn't want it any way. But has any one ever said they had ambitions for vp and they were a top choice?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections