Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-29-2016, 09:38 PM

5,277 posts, read 2,805,802 times

Advertisements

Not mentioned so far is the article shows Trump is losing Catholic voters to Clinton 55 to 32.

This is a giant shift of 25% compared to last year.

Imagine 25% of Catholics are now switching to vote Democratic, most of these new Democratic votes will be for the first time. Also more likely the next time.

A paragraph from the article, which is highly recommended, reads:

" It's also hard to overstate just how significant Trump’ s poor performance among Catholics is . That’s because they comprise about one -quarter of voters in the United States ( 25 percent in 2012 exit polls) and are about as big a voting bloc as non-whites ( 28 percent) and independents ( 29 percent)"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-29-2016, 09:49 PM

22,632 posts, read 14,959,626 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyRider View Post

As jews have proved, religion has little to do wit politics. Republicans are most pro Israel but jews routinely vote agains them 70-30. Trump may lose PA but not because of religion.
Your post indicates to me that you do not understand American Jews, why Jews vote the way they do, the most basic concepts of Jewish values, traditions and ethics. There have been several different threads here on City-Data on why the significant majority of Jews vote the way they do in the past year or two , but perhaps you missed them because if you read them you would understand that Jews are NOT a one issue voting bloc.

Old 08-29-2016, 10:00 PM

22,205 posts, read 19,490,239 times
I think this has less to do with religion itself than it does with other overlapping demographic issues. Hispanics make up a growing % of the Catholic vote. Among white voters, Trump has lost ground (compared to other previous GOP candidates) among whites with a college education. Whites in the mid-Atlantic and northeast tend to have higher levels of education than other parts of the country and whites in the mid-Atlantic and northeast also happen to be more Catholic than whites in other parts of the country.

So for the most part I don't think Trump's Catholic problem is completely tied to religion by a side effect of the Catholic population becoming more Hispanic, how poorly he is doing among Hispanics and his problem with college educated white voters which probably lean a bit more Catholic than whites without a college education.

Old 08-30-2016, 02:37 AM

5,277 posts, read 2,805,802 times
Smash. I agree with your analysis to a degree.

9.69% of Americans are Hispanic Catholics. (17% of Americans of which 57% are Catholics)

Since 25% are Catholic overall, roughly 16% must not be Hispanic

What about Filipino. They are even a greater percent Catholic.

Old 08-30-2016, 07:17 AM

5,735 posts, read 3,259,052 times
Whatever. I'm Catholic and I am voting for him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodnight View Post
Romney was pretty even on the Catholic Vote while Trump is heading for a disaster, is there any demographic he can win?

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...holic-problem/

Old 08-30-2016, 11:07 AM

13,561 posts, read 10,372,081 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pbmaise View Post

What about Filipino. They are even a greater percent Catholic.
Well, with the exception of Michelle Malkin, the vast majority lean Democratic and would vote for Clinton.

Old 08-30-2016, 11:11 AM

4,587 posts, read 2,603,900 times
Well I a Protestant and Hispanic and voting HRC.

Old 08-30-2016, 11:15 AM

11,768 posts, read 10,274,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bxlover View Post
Well I a Protestant and Hispanic and voting HRC.
Yeah? Well I am non religious as well as Slavic and plan on voting for... For... Ugh they are all so bad I might just flip a coin between Johnson and Clinton.

Old 08-30-2016, 12:13 PM

25,982 posts, read 22,169,754 times
So, then, would a Catholic vote for Hillary and then go to confession for doing it? Isn't supporting lying and abortion considered sinful anymore by the Catholic church?

Mother Theresa and Hillary Clinton:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8ZbazVxCVwQ

Old 08-30-2016, 12:29 PM

11,768 posts, read 10,274,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnywhereElse View Post
So, then, would a Catholic vote for Hillary and then go to confession for doing it? Isn't supporting lying and abortion considered sinful anymore by the Catholic church?

Mother Theresa and Hillary Clinton:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8ZbazVxCVwQ
Even if it is, Trump lies and supports abortion too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections