Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-09-2016, 08:20 AM

4,668 posts, read 3,901,614 times

Advertisements

“With [former Gov.] Gary Johnson polling in some places more than double digits, they might have, some of our production people may have said, ‘Just in case, you need to plan out what that might look like,’” Commission on Presidential Debates co-chair and former Bill Clinton White House Press Secretary Mike McCurry told POLITICO. "We won’t know the number of invitations we extend until mid-September."

They also went on to say

"If someone came in and let's say he was [polling] at 14.5 percent and the margin of error in five polls was 3 points, we are going to have to sit down and look at it," Fahrenkopf said. "But right now that person would not be included."

Clinton-Trump debate sites plan for a third podium - POLITICO

Johnsons RCP rolling average has been around 8-9%, but to be included in the debate he needs to at 15%, not average, but a total of 5 times. Currently Johnsons highest poll is 13%, but he has hit 12% twice this week and a poll just showed him at 16% in Utah yesterday.

I'm glad to see the debate commission is preparing for Johnson, and I hope he makes it into the debate.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-09-2016, 08:24 AM

2,973 posts, read 1,976,145 times
16% in Utah does not matter... Since it's the national polls that are being considered

Old 08-09-2016, 08:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daywalk View Post
16% in Utah does not matter... Since it's the national polls that are being considered
Yes, sorry I could have made that more clear. It matters because it shows his polls are trending up and that is why the debate commission is preparing a spot for him at the debate.

Old 08-09-2016, 08:39 AM

14,204 posts, read 12,286,655 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattks View Post
Yes, sorry I could have made that more clear. It matters because it shows his polls are trending up and that is why the debate commission is preparing a spot for him at the debate.
No they aren't. Johnson has hovered between 7 and 8 points for the last 3 months. It's doubtful that he is going to make up the needed 7 points in the next 6 weeks.

Old 08-09-2016, 08:45 AM

24,201 posts, read 19,219,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ~HecateWhisperCat~ View Post
No they aren't. Johnson has hovered between 7 and 8 points for the last 3 months. It's doubtful that he is going to make up the needed 7 points in the next 6 weeks.
yep.

And "breaking double digits" still leaves him 50% below where he needs to be. The standard is 15%, not 10%.

It's not that I think a third party candidate shouldn't be a part of the debates. But the 15% standard has been in place for a while, it's not like it's some last minute attempt to exclude Johnson. If he meets the standard, he's in, and if he doesn't, there shouldn't be an attempt to manipulate things just to include him.

Old 08-09-2016, 08:46 AM

11,755 posts, read 7,120,263 times
That would be fun, though doubtful. Johnson and Weld have constantly bashed Mr. Trump and taken Hillary's side. I am sure Hillary would love to have them.

Mick

Old 08-09-2016, 08:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~HecateWhisperCat~ View Post
Again, that's not how it works. His average on RCP does not matter. It's 5 polls have to break 15%. All of his low poll numbers can be thrown out when discussing debate requirements, it's only the top polls that matter. He has hit 12% three times and 13% once in the last month. All four of those polls are in the margin of error of the 15% requirement.

No where did I say he meets the requirements. But 4 polls in the last 3 weeks are in the margin of error on their requirements. I say that is pretty close.

Old 08-09-2016, 08:53 AM

24,201 posts, read 19,219,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattks View Post
Again, that's not how it works. His average on RCP does not matter. It's 5 polls have to break 15%. All of his low poll numbers can be thrown out when discussing debate requirements, it's only the top polls that matter. He has hit 12% three times and 13% once in the last month. All four of those polls are in the margin of error of the 15% requirement.

No where did I say he meets the requirements. But 4 polls in the last 3 weeks are in the margin of error on their requirements. I say that is pretty close.
Actually, no. They will decide which specific 5 polls to consider, but it's not automatically the 5 polls where Johnson has the highest percentage.

Quote:
Under the 2016 Criteria, in addition to being Constitutionally eligible, candidates must appear on a sufficient number of state ballots to have a mathematical chance of winning a majority vote in the Electoral College, and have a level of support of at least 15 percent of the national electorate as determined by five selected national public opinion polling organizations, using the average of those organizations’ most recently publicly-reported results at the time of the determination. The polls to be relied upon will be selected based on the quality of the methodology employed, the reputation of the polling organizations and the frequency of the polling conducted. CPD will identify the selected polling organizations well in advance of the time the criteria are applied.
CPD: The Commission on Presidential Debates: An Overview

Old 08-09-2016, 08:56 AM

16,236 posts, read 5,884,675 times
The question begs. Why do the 2 major parties fear a debate that includes independents or other parties?

Old 08-09-2016, 08:57 AM

15,823 posts, read 12,469,695 times
I hope not, Trump used divide and conquer to win the GOP debates, and wants Johnson on stage to make it 2 righties against Hillary.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections