Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-24-2016, 07:43 PM

19,792 posts, read 13,958,729 times

Advertisements

Just building a wall would be practically impossible and could cost up to 25 billion dollars, plus maintenance and won't stop illegal immigration, as planes fly over walls.

This is from TruTV's "Adam Ruins Everything"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ikDOM2k1jkw
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-24-2016, 08:04 PM

15,154 posts, read 11,632,034 times
Doesn't Mexico have a wall on their southern border? How is that working out for them? I guess Adam didn't want to "ruin" that..

Old 09-24-2016, 08:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ELOrocks17 View Post
Doesn't Mexico have a wall on their southern border? How is that working out for them? I guess Adam didn't want to "ruin" that..
Mexico-Guatemala Border Wall : snopes.com

Old 09-24-2016, 08:39 PM

5,701 posts, read 3,225,545 times
Sorry. We are building a wall, Mexico will pay for it, and you will learn to like it.

Old 09-24-2016, 08:54 PM

12,391 posts, read 7,103,495 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mightleavenyc View Post
Sorry. We are building a wall, Mexico will pay for it, and you will learn to like it.
I wonder what the dems thought about building a barrier when it was Hillary was calling for it?

Old 09-24-2016, 09:03 PM

51,655 posts, read 25,850,631 times
Trump's wall has never made sense and his plan for getting Mexico to pay for it is just goofy.

The whole thing is a diversion from what would actually get it under control -- consequences for employers.

If anyone hiring undocumented workers had their assets frozen while a thorough investigation was conducted, and stiff penalties imposed for those found guilty, we would get our immigration system under control in a heartbeat.

Last edited by GotHereQuickAsICould; 09-24-2016 at 09:49 PM..

Old 09-24-2016, 09:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mightleavenyc View Post
Assertions don't make it so. The idea is not only impractical, as the video shows, it won't stop immigration and Mexico has already stated clearly that they won't pay for it if it ever got off the drawing board.

Old 09-24-2016, 09:21 PM

25,573 posts, read 56,502,335 times
Default The Snookering Never Ends

I read an analysis a while back that the project would take six years at minimum - at an outrageous cost.

Building of the wall is completely unfeasible - financially, logistically, politically, - and a whole number of other reasons.

I guarantee - should Trump be elected - he will be walking that back - just as he did his five-year birther vendetta - with the fabulous one-liner -
"I ended it. And, you know what I mean."
OMG - the snookering never ends.

Should this country have the misfortune of this clown as president - the laughing will be nonstop as he walks back every single one of his "promises."

Last edited by Ariadne22; 09-24-2016 at 09:40 PM..

Old 09-24-2016, 09:30 PM

22,475 posts, read 12,014,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GotHereQuickAsICould View Post
Trump's wall has never made sense and his plan for getting Mexico to pay for it is just goofy.

The whole thing is a diversion from what would actually get it under control -- consequences for employers.

If anyone hiring undocumented workers had their assets frozen while a thorough investigation was conducted, and stiff penalties imposed for those found guilty, we would get our immigration system under control in a heartbeat.

"Consequences for employers" is a must. However, you are very naive if you think that everybody who sneaks across the border is just doing so to work.

I don't know why anyone would be so vehemently against the wall unless they have a dog in this fight. Why would anyone want to leave the border unprotected?

You don't realize that a wall was built at the San Diego/Tijuana border which drastically cut down on crime and illegal crossings. Do you know under which administration this was done? I'm guessing that you don't know. It was done under Bill Clinton's administration.

Old 09-24-2016, 09:39 PM

18,069 posts, read 18,832,764 times
Paying for it is easy, just add a charge to Mexican citizens who wish to enter the US.

I think the wall is a dumb idea, but it is not like walls and fences do not work when placed in good areas. Israel has one, a few European countries through up one to stem the flow of refugees, Norway is building one near its border crossing, Ceuta has one, the list goes on.

The best way to stem illegal immigration is to end NAFTA.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections