Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Is it proper that President Obama campaign for his chosen successor Hillary Clinton?
Yes 45 58.44%
No 28 36.36%
I don't know 4 5.19%
Voters: 77. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-29-2016, 04:56 PM

16,236 posts, read 5,880,554 times

Advertisements

At some point we the people have to consider how much it costs for our president to be flying around on the tax payer's dime. Air Force 1 isn't exactly a cheap plane to fly around. I know previous Presidents have done it. Times change. We are 20 trillion in debt after all.

Old 09-29-2016, 04:57 PM

23,976 posts, read 15,086,618 times
The congress can define vacation time and benefits for the POTUS any day they choose.

What about taxpayer funded other politicians running for POTUS, like a governor or senator? That also is coming out of a state or federal taxpayer's pocket.

Old 09-29-2016, 05:09 PM

35,702 posts, read 21,063,743 times
Rem papa Bush ??

Old 09-29-2016, 05:18 PM

11,788 posts, read 5,798,330 times
I've had a problem for years - no matter the party - when a sitting President campaigns for or an elected official runs for a higher office - neglecting their duties at home. Hillary spent more time campaigning for President while she was a NY State senator than serving her constituents.

I feel the same about Kasich, Christie and anyone else taking time away from a position they were elected for and are currently serving.

Old 09-29-2016, 05:21 PM

7,588 posts, read 6,628,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
Yes.

Some have postulated that Eisenhower's lukewarm support was a factor in Nixon's defeat in 1960. Reagan made the first Bush's campaign more difficult by not being more forceful in his support.

So, if President Obama wishes to campaign for Clinton he can have at it.
And to that I would add that if Gore himself had not made the decision to distance himself from Clinton, he probably would have beaten Bush.

As for the OP, I have mixed feelings. In principle, I have no problem with it, but from a practical perspective it can quickly become questionable. Even though i hate Trump, I have serious problems with paying a sitting President to take time off from his job simply to campaign for Trump's opponent, and I really don't want to pay anything extra on top of that. I think there should be reasonable restrictions on how much active campaigning a President should be allowed to do.

Old 09-29-2016, 05:21 PM

35,702 posts, read 21,063,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xray731 View Post
I've had a problem for years - no matter the party - when a sitting President campaigns for or an elected official runs for a higher office - neglecting their duties at home. Hillary spent more time campaigning for President while she was a NY State senator than serving her constituents.

I feel the same about Kasich, Christie and anyone else taking time away from a position they were elected for and are currently serving.
Well all of the congress threw a bill together so the govt does not shut down, until December 10. (To include anti- terrorist tasks force budget)-- so they can all go home and play the candidate game

Old 09-29-2016, 05:31 PM

23,795 posts, read 13,261,787 times
Oh please. We're paying for Trump too. He's profiting off the American people.

Trump received $1.6 million from Secret Service - POLITICO

Secret Service Paying Taxpayer Money to Trump

Old 09-29-2016, 05:43 PM

6,706 posts, read 5,937,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Enigma777 View Post

That's not special treatment; all Presidential candidates get Secret Service details, once they've been nominated. They also get regular State Dept. briefings. They are treated as though they will be the next POTUS, because they might. Hillary Clinton gets exactly the same treatment that Trump does.

I suppose you can complain that Trump does so much more traveling than Hillary that it costs the taxpayers more money. I mean, he is flying around in his own jet, but he still needs SS people to clear each venue in advance. He's got so much energy; he holds a rally in a different state every day, sometimes twice in one day. And huge rallies, too, 20,000 people or more. Must be a nightmare for the Service guys.

Old 09-29-2016, 06:36 PM

18,022 posts, read 27,468,060 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Enigma777 View Post

Trump is NOT an elected politician! Yet!

Old 09-30-2016, 06:19 AM

6,706 posts, read 5,937,576 times
I think a lot of people have missed my fundamental point, which I didn't probably articulate very well.

The President is the leader of the entire country which is 320 million Americans. Although I did not vote for him either time I expect him to act like my leader, to act as if he did earn my vote. I was willing to give him a chance.

However, after nearly 8 years in office, he has failed to earn my vote. He didn't listen to me and my concerns. In fact he has expressed contempt for me and my kind, dismissing us as hicks who "cling to their guns and religion". A man who has never built anything in his life, he lectured us hard working businesspeople that we "didn't build that". Though I'm a life long believer in equal treatment and equal rights, he has many times implied that I'm not good enough, that I'm inherently racist and privileged. His appointees complain that the Supreme Court and other high offices are "too white, too male", even "too Jewish". I can't win here, folks.

And now, he continues to fail, by campaigning for an appallingly bad candidate, a woman who has called me and my kind "deplorable and unredeemable".

And my taxes go to pay for his campaign trips? Sorry, I think not.

You may approve of Obama, and that's your right, that's the freedom which we are so fortunate in our country to have. I will fight and die for your right to disagree with me. But for him to campaign to replace himself with Madame Deplorable? That's crossing a line. He should just sit back, shut up, and finish out his term in dignity, rather than demeaning his office any more than he already has.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections