Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Is it proper that President Obama campaign for his chosen successor Hillary Clinton?
Yes 45 58.44%
No 28 36.36%
I don't know 4 5.19%
Voters: 77. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-29-2016, 03:12 PM

6,706 posts, read 5,937,576 times

Advertisements

I know that previous presidents have done it, but is it really appropriate for the sitting President to be flying around the country in Air Force One and campaigning for one of the candidates to replace him?

NPR, a liberal news outlet, reports that Obama is campaigning more strongly for his successor than any previous President.

Obama went so far as to announce that Donald Trump is not fit to be President, ironically right after Hillary Clinton's disastrous "basket of deplorables" speech in which she derided half of Trump's followers as deplorable and unredeemable in front of a group of cheering celebrities.

In my opinion, the President is being paid to be the President, not the leader of his or her party. Whether you support Hillary Clinton or not, is Obama doing the right thing?

Old 09-29-2016, 03:16 PM

45,398 posts, read 60,592,880 times
Yes.

Some have postulated that Eisenhower's lukewarm support was a factor in Nixon's defeat in 1960. Reagan made the first Bush's campaign more difficult by not being more forceful in his support.

So, if President Obama wishes to campaign for Clinton he can have at it.

Old 09-29-2016, 03:18 PM

13,709 posts, read 21,929,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blisterpeanuts View Post
I know that previous presidents have done it, but is it really appropriate for the sitting President to be flying around the country in Air Force One and campaigning for one of the candidates to replace him?

NPR, a liberal news outlet, reports that Obama is campaigning more strongly for his successor than any previous President.

Obama went so far as to announce that Donald Trump is not fit to be President, ironically right after Hillary Clinton's disastrous "basket of deplorables" speech in which she derided half of Trump's followers as deplorable and unredeemable in front of a group of cheering celebrities.

In my opinion, the President is being paid to be the President, not the leader of his or her party. Whether you support Hillary Clinton or not, is Obama doing the right thing?
He's doing whatever he can to keep a moron name Donald Trump out of the White House, and I don't blame him!

This election has already been declared the most divisive and bizarre in US history. It's also been called the most important in modern times. Of course President Obama should have a vested interest in seeing a Democrat elected, regardless of who the candidate might be. I'm sure he'd be campaigning just as hard has Bernie Sanders won the nomination.

Old 09-29-2016, 03:18 PM

19,029 posts, read 14,209,414 times
Support is one thing - expending public funds to campaign is another.
That is an abuse of the public treasury, and should be censured, at the least.

Old 09-29-2016, 03:19 PM

6,393 posts, read 4,116,131 times
So, other presidents in the past have done it, but now that Obama is doing it, IT IS CRIMINAL! Coincidentally, Obama is also the first black president.

And you guys wonder why we think you're racist.

Old 09-29-2016, 03:20 PM

24,260 posts, read 14,211,524 times
Not illegal. Not improper.

Others have campaigned for candidates, and more will in the future. Just because one is a sitting president doesn't mean that they can't support a candidate.

Old 09-29-2016, 03:21 PM

13,709 posts, read 21,929,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jetgraphics View Post
Yawn. He's the president of the United States. He goes where he wants to go. And for all you know, the Clinton campaign is reimbursing him for the travel.

Old 09-29-2016, 03:21 PM

52,431 posts, read 26,636,151 times
I love that Obama is campaigning for Hillary.

Old 09-29-2016, 03:22 PM

18,021 posts, read 27,468,060 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MetroWord View Post
So, other presidents in the past have done it, but now that Obama is doing it, IT IS CRIMINAL! Coincidentally, Obama is also the first black president.

And you guys wonder why we think you're racist.

Why don't you throw Hitler in there too. Wow, this political thread is funner than the Sports thread.

Old 09-29-2016, 03:26 PM

23,856 posts, read 13,754,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jetgraphics View Post
If that's what he is doing.

There are well-established protocols in place as to what the president pays for out of his own pocket and what various agencies pay for. I don't know the specifics, but this is not something he is making up as he goes. Ultimately, Congress holds the pursestrings and has the oversight. I don't know why you'd think that the R majority, which hates Obama so much, would be hesitant to "censure" him if he stepped out of bounds.

Presidents have always helped candidates of their own parties, both directly and indirectly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections