Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-04-2016, 10:51 PM

10,105 posts, read 7,397,856 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wittgenstein's Ghost View Post
Statistically, illegal immigrants are less likely to be violent criminals than native-born people. So, if you're picking which group to be suspicious of, you should be more suspicious of the guy who was born here than the guy who wasn't.

I don't need to prove that every illegal immigrant is a good guy in order to be right here. I simply need to prove that they aren't particularly violent folks on the whole.
i guess that is easy for you to say when you haven't been a victim of a crime by an illegal. the most powerful thing Trump does at his rallies is have all these people who had relatives, friends k illed by an illegal. you want to sweep this under the rug. people are being killed and raped by people who are not supposed to be in our country.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-04-2016, 11:00 PM

5,829 posts, read 4,168,001 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Simpsonvilllian View Post
i guess that is easy for you to say when you haven't been a victim of a crime by an illegal. the most powerful thing Trump does at his rallies is have all these people who had relatives, friends k illed by an illegal. you want to sweep this under the rug. people are being killed and raped by people who are not supposed to be in our country.
This is exactly why "elites" criticize the reasoning of Trump supporters. If I am personally the victim in some crime committed by a woman, does that mean women themselves are particularly violent people? Or that women need to be dealt with as a group in a certain way?

You are trying to draw conclusions by looking at anecdotes. In a country of millions of people, it would be possible to find cases where a person was the victim of a crime that involved a person who was out on bail or on parole. Does that mean we should stop issuing bail and get rid of parole? Of course not.

You should care more about statistics and less about anecdotes.

Old 10-04-2016, 11:02 PM

13,721 posts, read 19,252,722 times
Why would they support Hillary? She is so out of touch with the "commoners" it's not funny.

Old 10-04-2016, 11:03 PM

i don't think you and HIllary supporters are 'elites'. you want to be called that, no doubt.

do you deny that some illegals kill americans and commit other crimes against Americans? i'm not saying all of them do. I'm saying some of them do, and they aren't supposed to be in the country. your inference that I'm broadbrushing all illegals as criminals is not based on anything that i've said. you just have this knee jerk reflex talking point.

Old 10-04-2016, 11:09 PM

Quote:
i don't think you and HIllary supporters are 'elites'. you want to be called that, no doubt.

do you deny that some illegals kill americans and commit other crimes against Americans? i'm not saying all of them do. I'm saying some of them do, and they aren't supposed to be in the country. your inference that I'm broadbrushing all illegals as criminals is not based on anything that i've said. you just have this knee jerk reflex talking point.
Of course some illegal immigrants kill people. Legal immigrants do, too. Does that mean we should ban immigration entirely? People traveling here on tourist visas have probably killed people. Does that mean we shouldn't allow tourists?

In order for it to be particularly problematic that illegal immigrants have killed people, it must be true that illegal immigrants are especially likely to kill people. If that's not the case, then an illegal immigrant doesn't represent any more threat than the American-born guy next door.

Old 10-04-2016, 11:13 PM

Quote:
Of course some illegal immigrants kill people. Legal immigrants do, too. Does that mean we should ban immigration entirely? People traveling here on tourist visas have probably killed people. Does that mean we shouldn't allow tourists?

In order for it to be particularly problematic that illegal immigrants have killed people, it must be true that illegal immigrants are especially likely to kill people. If that's not the case, then an illegal immigrant doesn't represent any more threat than the American-born guy next door.
the key word is 'illegal'. they aren't supposed to be here. nativess are legal citizens, you are make a silly false equivalence.

illegals are killing people. this is a fact. they aren't supposed to be here. this is a fact. it is bad enough that there are natives that kill people. you seem to think it is unfair that we want to remove and prevent illegals from being in our country, simply because there are natives that mruder and commmit other crimes. that is absurd logic.

Old 10-04-2016, 11:17 PM

Quote:
the key word is 'illegal'. they aren't supposed to be here. nativess are legal citizens, you are make a silly false equivalence.

illegals are killing people. this is a fact. they aren't supposed to be here. this is a fact. it is bad enough that there are natives that kill people. you seem to think it is unfair that we want to remove and prevent illegals from being in our country, simply because there are natives that mruder and commmit other crimes. that is absurd logic.
I am not arguing that illegal immigrants aren't here illegally. That is obviously false. I am arguing that their presence doesn't pose any more of a violent threat than any other sort of population increase. The Trump campaign has attempted to frame illegal immigrants as posing a violent threat to US citizens, but the truth is that they are no more violent than American-born people walking down the street. If we oppose their presence based solely on the violence issue (ignoring the illegal status for a moment), we should oppose any sort of population increase.

Old 10-04-2016, 11:24 PM

Imagine for a moment that illegal immigrants were extremely unlikely to commit crimes. Let's say they were 100 times less likely than the rest of the population to be violent. It would still be true that some people would be the victims of crimes committed by illegal immigrants. However, it would also be true that illegal immigrants were much less dangers than native-born folks. We could still say the same thing you are saying right now: there are some people who are victims of crimes committed by people who shouldn't be here. However, removing those people would mean we were removing the least dangerous part of society. Clearly, the fact that some people have been victims of a certain group isn't the relevant fact. The relevant fact to the discussion about safety is the likelihood of that group to commit crimes. You can point out that illegal immigrants shouldn't be here anyway, but that is irrelevant to the safety discussion if they are in fact very safe people.

Old 10-04-2016, 11:24 PM

Quote:
I am not arguing that illegal immigrants aren't here illegally. That is obviously false. I am arguing that their presence doesn't pose any more of a violent threat than any other sort of population increase. The Trump campaign has attempted to frame illegal immigrants as posing a violent threat to US citizens, but the truth is that they are no more violent than American-born people walking down the street. If we oppose their presence based solely on the violence issue (ignoring the illegal status for a moment), we should oppose any sort of population increase.
again, we can't kick out natives. we can kick out illegals, who are illegally in our country. you say you know they ar eillegals, but you act like our policy cannot be different toward them.

if you removed all illegals, crime would go down because a certain percentage of them are criminals. this is a fact. the law says they are not supposed to be here. why does enforcing the law offend you.

Old 10-04-2016, 11:26 PM

Quote:
again, we can't kick out natives. we can kick out illegals, who are illegally in our country. you say you know they ar eillegals, but you act like our policy cannot be different toward them.

if you removed all illegals, crime would go down because a certain percentage of them are criminals. this is a fact.
Our discussion is not about whom we can kick out and whom we can't. It is about whom, if anyone, we should kick out due to safety concerns. Read my post right above your last one.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections