Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-05-2016, 08:15 AM

1,268 posts, read 798,793 times

Advertisements

It's horrible, but they have the right to free speech. Of course, they don't have the right to be free of consequences from it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-05-2016, 08:33 AM

27,656 posts, read 16,142,781 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsb62574 View Post
It's horrible, but they have the right to free speech. Of course, they don't have the right to be free of consequences from it.
Depends. What consequences were you thinking?
Quote:
Originally Posted by plannine View Post
Went to one. 80% of the people at it were white.
Whats do you call a white uncle tom?

Old 10-05-2016, 08:40 AM

8,312 posts, read 3,930,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsb62574 View Post
You are correct they absolutely have the right to that speech. Normal people have the right to point out how disgusting they are as well. I think it's good, actually. Back in the old days the racists were more cowardly and only came out at night in white sheets and burned crosses in the woods. When they come out in public like this EVERYONE gets to see how deeply hateful and unAmerican their views really are. The more mainstream Trump supporters begin to ask - do I really want to be associated with these people?

Old 10-05-2016, 08:51 AM

16,212 posts, read 10,828,810 times
I don't think it is racist but I also do see how it is inflammatory and distasteful.

Old 10-05-2016, 08:53 AM

4,040 posts, read 2,558,126 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GearHeadDave View Post
You are correct they absolutely have the right to that speech. Normal people have the right to point out how disgusting they are as well. I think it's good, actually. Back in the old days the racists were more cowardly and only came out at night in white sheets and burned crosses in the woods. When they come out in public like this EVERYONE gets to see how deeply hateful and unAmerican their views really are. The more mainstream Trump supporters begin to ask - do I really want to be associated with these people?

Or at least that is the hope.

That is why at every turn Trump is painted as a bigot/racist/sexist/homophope/islamaphobe, etc etc.

The problem is MOST mainstream people have caught on and are not intimidated by the constant bullying.

Old 10-05-2016, 08:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by residinghere2007 View Post
I don't think it is racist but I also do see how it is inflammatory and distasteful.
The black-painted Easter Island "Obama" sculpture was a typical old-school racist symbol. You probably don't recall when a lot of people had the lawn jockeys in their yards, it was a thumb-your-nose racist gesture, and I don't think this is a lot different. Actually it's more extreme.

Old 10-05-2016, 08:58 AM

23,856 posts, read 13,758,293 times
Quote:
Agree with this. I LIKE it when someone shows him/herself to be disgusting in public.

It's not necessarily racist to criticize a black person. It's not necessarily racist to wish a black person dead. But depicting a black person in a way so as to call up associations of voodoo? That's getting uncomfortably close.

Old 10-05-2016, 09:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chadgates View Post
Or at least that is the hope.

That is why at every turn Trump is painted as a bigot/racist/sexist/homophope/islamaphobe, etc etc.

The problem is MOST mainstream people have caught on and are not intimidated by the constant bullying.
Not following your comment. The Trump supporters that did this are clearly proud of their bigotry and their hatred; so much so that they decided to demonstrate it in public, for all the world to see. Are you saying they do not represent the typical Trump supporter? So far I have not heard from one Trump supporter that didn't think this was perfectly acceptable.

Old 10-05-2016, 09:11 AM

16,212 posts, read 10,828,810 times
Quote:
The black-painted Easter Island "Obama" sculpture was a typical old-school racist symbol. You probably don't recall when a lot of people had the lawn jockeys in their yards, it was a thumb-your-nose racist gesture, and I don't think this is a lot different. Actually it's more extreme.
I am not that old but I'm pushing 40 and I do remember the lawn jockey's in some people's yards from when I was a kid. A lawn jockey was basically a representation of a black slave/servant in regards to knowing one's place on the social ladder. So it actually was a racist depiction. This one is not equivalent IMO.

It did not make Obama appear in an inferior position based only on him being black. It was just inflammatory. I also don't put the "racism" moniker on most negative political depictions as they are usually based primarily on different political opinions and not the ethnicity of the persons being negatively portrayed.

However, I will note that I am from the Great Lakes area and I am aware of the racism in Indiana in particular. So I would not put it past the creator to have some racist and especially prejudiced views of black people. However, IMO as a (black) woman, the depiction of Hillary getting her head chopped off was much worse than Obama being an Easter Island statue. It can be construed to be sexist in regards to putting women in their place or condoning domestic violence of some sort. It was very distasteful and has a lot of negative connotations but the man killing woman thing is more of a concern to me versus the racist angle. I think too many people today try to make something "racist" when it is really not all that racist in the grand scheme of things, just idiotic and distasteful.

Old 10-05-2016, 09:14 AM

4,040 posts, read 2,558,126 times
Quote:
Not following your comment. The Trump supporters that did this are clearly proud of their bigotry and their hatred; so much so that they decided to demonstrate it in public, for all the world to see. Are you saying they do not represent the typical Trump supporter? So far I have not heard from one Trump supporter that didn't think this was perfectly acceptable.
I have seen at least TWO blacks comment that they did NOT think it was racist, but that doesn't impact your thinking at all. Instead you would rather inform them about racism and lawn jockeys.

That is what my point is.

The tired old "Trump supporters are Racists and Sexists and yada yada" is EXACTLY what gets the low information person riled up and attacking Trump supporters. They rip bumper stickers off cars, they pull out yard signs, and they beat a kid 1/2 to death because he said "Blue lives matter". There are also a TON of people who stated publicly that the black officer who shot the man in Charlotte was a SCAPEGOAT taking the fall for the White officer who REALLY pulled the trigger. Amazing, but they actually believe that.

Why?

Because the constant narrative being pushed by the media and carried even further by posters like you.

You ARE NOT bullying anyone away from Trump, if anything you are pissing people off who were undecided and who will now vote for Trump BECAUSE they are tired of this constant BS.

The only minds you are changing with the constant twisting of every story is inciting mob violence and those folks are already voting HRC.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections