Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-04-2016, 07:37 AM

51,655 posts, read 25,857,932 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eeyore1954 View Post
The parable of the loaves and fishes is not about government programs and taxation it is about sharing. As a whole Chrsitians are generous to charities dedicated to providing for those who need food , shelter , clothing, etc.
This is a bunch of baloney.

I worked in social services and I am familiar with the generosity of churches.

With the exception of the Salvation Army, which is outrageously generous and committed to helping folks with their time, talents, and tithes, churches are mighty stingy with their help.

Many churches talk about all the good work they do in the world, but when you get right down to it, it's mighty small potatoes.

Catholic Social Services, Lutheran Social Services... and the like are primarily church-based programs that rely on government funding for their services.

Catholic nuns do good work in the world, but once again, much of the programs they run are government funded. The Catholic church's assistance to the less fortunate is way out of proportion to the resources they have available to do so.

Most of the good work that churches do is to benefit themselves and their own members. I grew up around many LDS people and Mormons do try to take care of their own. However, there is a limit and many Mormons rely on government services as well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-04-2016, 07:39 AM

78,863 posts, read 46,671,010 times
You do realize, only 3% of Colonists were Patriots. Today we have the USA.

Old 11-04-2016, 07:52 AM

51,655 posts, read 25,857,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southward bound View Post
Churches used to give much more support before government became the caregiver. It should go back to that. You can't expect the government to do Jesus' work. Christians believe in not only giving a man a fish, but also in teaching him to fish. Help by giving a hand up, or keep a person down by providing everything for them. Which is more compassionate?
This is baloney. Churches in the U.S. have never provided significant social services.

My parents grew up in poverty at a time when there were few government programs outside of the "poor house."

Churches did not see that they had food. My mother spoke of a church that allowed her and her siblings to clean up after their monthly deacon's meeting and how in return they were allowed to eat the leftovers. That was the extend of assistance from that church. Occasionally, they were able to get shoes from another church. But that was about it.

I've read about the good works of Samaritan's Purse and I can vouch for the Salvation Army, but other than these and a few churches that support food banks, soup kitchens and/or homeless shelters, the majority of churches have never provided any significant amount of support for the less fortunate.

Without government programs such as Temporary Assistance to Needy Families (TANF), Social Security, Social Security Disability, Medicaid, Medicare, Food Stamps, subsidized housing... a lot of children, the elderly, the folks with disabilities would be in dire straits.

Churches never have done more than a few good works around the edge of things. Even if every church was as dedicated as the Salvation Army, they simply couldn't keep up.

Old 11-04-2016, 08:07 AM

4,288 posts, read 2,062,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GotHereQuickAsICould View Post
It's not Evangelical Christians, it's the Republican party candidates, in this case Trump, and the positions that they support.

Republicans are forever working to cut funding to programs that benefit children. Democrats are the ones who advocate for programs that benefit children and the less fortunate.

So you would think Evangelical Christians who be supportive of Democrats. Some are, but many aren't.

Just seems odd to me.
I think the issue here isn't whether to support programs that benefit the less fortunate but how much should be spent on them, at what level of income should people be expected to provide for themselves and what is the best way to help people provide for themselves ( more aid or more jobs).

What is Donald Trumps position on social programs?

Old 11-04-2016, 08:13 AM

4,288 posts, read 2,062,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GotHereQuickAsICould View Post
This is a bunch of baloney.

I worked in social services and I am familiar with the generosity of churches.
Tell that to the people in my neighborhood who donate to and work in the food pantries run by the local churches. Tell that to all of the people who benefit from them.

Tell that to all of the people who contribute to programs to feed people in counties where people are actually starving.

Old 11-04-2016, 08:21 AM

38,859 posts, read 25,562,839 times
Lightbulb This may be Drumpf's big contribution

Quote:
Evangelicals 'disgusted' by Trump's remarks, but still backing him
He's certainly ripped the mask of respectability off the right wing evangelicals.

Moral majority? Family values? Jesus-loving Bible readers?

Nope!

Old 11-04-2016, 01:32 PM

5,438 posts, read 5,948,871 times
" On Wednesday, Trump signed on a letter presented by two major pro-Israel Christian organizations, which calls for moving the US Embassy to Jerusalem. The letter , posted online as a petition and organized by the American Christian Leaders for Israel (ACLI) and the International Christian Embassy Jerusalem (ICEJ), called for the following commitments:
Implement the Jerusalem Embassy Act of 1995 and relocate the US Embassy in Israel to its capital city of Jerusalem.
Renew and strengthen the US’s Memorandum of Understanding to fund Israel’s growing security needs.
Combat any efforts at the local, state, or federal level to boycott, divest from, or sanction Israel.
Monitor Iran’s ongoing violations of sanctions and to toughen current sanctions as well as impose new ones as necessary.
Oppose any imposed solutions to the Palestinian conflict on Israel by outside parties, including the United Nations Security Council."

Trump Deepens Commitment to Israel - Breaking Israel News | Latest News. Biblical Perspective.

Old 11-04-2016, 01:34 PM

19,784 posts, read 15,123,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by berdee View Post
Head of Trump's religious advisory board dismisses vulgar remarks - CNNPolitics.com

Even though they are disgusted by what was said, they knew that Trump had a brash demeanor when they backed him. They are voting on issues and not on what Trump had said on that tape. Also, they find Hillary to be "corrupt and not trustworthy".
...Way to be like Jesus!!!

Old 11-04-2016, 01:43 PM

21,989 posts, read 15,728,690 times
Evangelicals have proven themselves to have no integrity and are filled with hypocrisy. I don't want to hear anymore from so called evangelicals about morality. They are just as partisan as anyone else and Trump has shown them to have no morality whatsoever.

Old 11-04-2016, 01:47 PM

12,016 posts, read 12,775,678 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by berdee View Post
Head of Trump's religious advisory board dismisses vulgar remarks - CNNPolitics.com

Even though they are disgusted by what was said, they knew that Trump had a brash demeanor when they backed him. They are voting on issues and not on what Trump had said on that tape. Also, they find Hillary to be "corrupt and not trustworthy".
What they are saying is they are people of God but would vote for the devil to get their way.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections