Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-09-2016, 04:34 PM

3,887 posts, read 5,747,353 times

Advertisements

One thing I keep seeing pop up in threads is that Hillary has never been charged with a crime. So my question is does anybody have an example of someone not being prosecuted despite breaking a law due to not knowing the laws? I have always herd that ignorance of the law is not a defense, in fact it is in many different laws if you get licensed, so I would like just 1 example.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-09-2016, 04:55 PM

29,218 posts, read 22,361,490 times
Many people have gotten off because they didn't know they broke a law.

That old saw is a falsehood and always has been. It all depends on the nature of the crime and the prosecutor who chooses to pursue it. Even then, the judge can always over-rule the prosecution if the crime is obscure or appears to be borderline. nEven when a person is clearly guilty, it still all depends.

Old 10-09-2016, 04:57 PM

23,795 posts, read 13,259,424 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwiley View Post
One thing I keep seeing pop up in threads is that Hillary has never been charged with a crime. So my question is does anybody have an example of someone not being prosecuted despite breaking a law due to not knowing the laws? I have always herd that ignorance of the law is not a defense, in fact it is in many different laws if you get licensed, so I would like just 1 example.
Donald Trump. Tax evasion. Tax fraud. White collar crime.

Old 10-09-2016, 04:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by banjomike View Post
Many people have gotten off because they didn't know they broke a law.

That old saw is a falsehood and always has been. It all depends on the nature of the crime and the prosecutor who chooses to pursue it. Even then, the judge can always over-rule the prosecution if the crime is obscure or appears to be borderline. nEven when a person is clearly guilty, it still all depends.
Great than I guess you have no problem providing a link to people get off from a crime where there is plenty of evidence that they broke a law and were not prosecuted.

Old 10-09-2016, 04:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enigma777 View Post
Donald Trump. Tax evasion. Tax fraud. White collar crime.
Where is a member of law enforcement saying that they have proof that he committed a crime and they chose to not prosecute it due to his ignorance?

Old 10-09-2016, 05:06 PM

9,725 posts, read 15,170,027 times
Quote:
Great than I guess you have no problem providing a link to people get off from a crime where there is plenty of evidence that they broke a law and were not prosecuted.
I guess I'd be one of those. I've broken traffic laws before and gotten off with just a warning because "I didn't know."

You do realize that traffic laws vary from state to state.

Old 10-09-2016, 05:06 PM

1,984 posts, read 1,700,367 times
People get away with breaking the law all the time. There is a famous criminological study that shows only 50% of crime even gets reported to police, and from there is whittles its way down to only 2 of 100 go to jail for committing a crime.

A statistic almost no one knows is that 92% of all federal criminal cases are resolved by settlement - often called 'plea bargaining' by the media. If the other side doesn't want to plead, you have to go to a long and expensive trial, and the government only has an 87% chance of winning. Most prosecutors want to stay in that 92% comfort zone.

When the defendant hires her primary co-conspirator as her personal attorney and then invokes the attorney-client privilege forbidding the attorney discussing anything about you, you're probably going to be able to convince the federal prosecutors not to prosecute you. Hillary did.

There was an indictment drawn up against Hillary with respect to Whitewater back in the 1990s, but it was never given to the grand jury to vote on. It still resides (under seal) somewhere in the national archives.

Old 10-09-2016, 05:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UB50 View Post
I guess I'd be one of those. I've broken traffic laws before and gotten off with just a warning because "I didn't know."

You do realize that traffic laws vary from state to state.
Guess I should have clarified, an felony would have been proper, but I guess if the best you guys can come up with is a bunch of petty crimes than you are proving my point. A person basically commits dozens of felonies and is given a pass, and yet you guys think it is the same of a traffic ticket.

Old 10-09-2016, 05:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rescue3 View Post
People get away with breaking the law all the time. There is a famous criminological study that shows only 50% of crime even gets reported to police, and from there is whittles its way down to only 2 of 100 go to jail for committing a crime.

A statistic almost no one knows is that 92% of all federal criminal cases are resolved by settlement - often called 'plea bargaining' by the media. If the other side doesn't want to plead, you have to go to a long and expensive trial, and the government only has an 87% chance of winning. Most prosecutors want to stay in that 92% comfort zone.

When the defendant hires her primary co-conspirator as her personal attorney and then invokes the attorney-client privilege forbidding the attorney discussing anything about you, you're probably going to be able to convince the federal prosecutors not to prosecute you. Hillary did.

There was an indictment drawn up against Hillary with respect to Whitewater back in the 1990s, but it was never given to the grand jury to vote on. It still resides (under seal) somewhere in the national archives.
So you are saying that this is not the 1st time the Hillary has gotten special treatment and help covering up her crimes, I agree.

Old 10-09-2016, 05:17 PM

29,218 posts, read 22,361,490 times
Quote:
So you are saying that this is not the 1st time the Hillary has gotten special treatment and help covering up her crimes, I agree.
Whitewater never brought charges forth to either of the Clintons. Only the pair who started the investment scheme were prosecuted. The Clintons were just 2 of many investors who got burned.

Ken Starr kept digging for 2 1/2 more years, and never found squat. If some kind of fix was in, Starr would never have been allowed to continue his special prosecution anywhere close to that long.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections